Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Karma Supra
Occasional Poster

August 2005
1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Sat, 03 December 2005 14:28 Go to next message
Hi guys...

I am having serious issues rebuilding my 1G-GTE...

Admittedly I have been slow in getting arround to it and I am still rebuilding it...

It is a late revision 3 1G-GTE... the head is being ported and gas flowed by nickleson mclaren, the block is being re-honed and the crank reground by another engineering company.... the problem is we can't seem to find ANY oversized big end bearing kits for the 1G-GTE!!!!????

I have manged to replace the two damaged con rods, and Toyota still sell every other needed part, but without either a good condition crank, or oversized bearings.. I'm stuffed!!!

Anyone know where to get any from?? I have searched and searched... I know there are a few of you guys with 1G-GTES... you simply don't see them over in the UK at all Sad

Cheers....

Charlie.

Send a private message to this user    
Slippy
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Sat, 03 December 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't sound good! If you have searched and searched and still cant find and bearing you can have some made. It will be pricey but would only be a last resort. Can you machine anything else to allow some standard bearings to fit?
Karma Supra
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Sat, 03 December 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looks like the nearest option is bodging the crank and rods to take bearings from other cars... but obviously thats not ideal!!!! Custpm brearings are going to cost even more, and it all honesty my budget is limited ("between" jobs)..

I was hoping as the 1Gs are more popular in Aus someone would have been in the same situation and found an easy fix/supplier!!

At this point I'd usually go for another engine, but I have aleady bought an entire engine gasket set, and the head has been ported and gas flowed... I would lose out big style if I went for something else! Sad
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have HEARD that the bearings from a 2s engine fit them. might be worth a look
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We're in a slightly different situation over here than you. If we ran into this predicament, we'd just buy another 1G for peanuts, with good crank and rods and start from there.

That's personally what i'd do, and put the uber head on top of that.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Sun, 04 December 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got another crank Razz Bloody annoying that there are differences in cranks between 1g-gte gens... although I believe that 1g-gze cranks fit nicely in later blocks.

I'd like to compare all the different cranks (1g-ge, 1g-gte, 1g-gze, 1g-fe)
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Mon, 05 December 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GTE main bearings are the same.

In Australia it is cheaper to find alternative bearings than buy new from Toyota.

Find a bearing shop and they should be able to regrind the crank you have and find a suitable bearing for it.

i can buy 2 import engines for less than the cost of a set of bottom end bearings.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Mon, 05 December 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 13:43

They are!? That's an interesting thing to note come rebuild time.
Karma Supra
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE Rebuild nighmare!!!! Tue, 06 December 2005 14:17 Go to previous message
Lambolica wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 16:43

In Australia it is cheaper to find alternative bearings than buy new from Toyota.

Find a bearing shop and they should be able to regrind the crank you have and find a suitable bearing for it.

i can buy 2 import engines for less than the cost of a set of bottom end bearings.

in that case fancy supplying me a crank?? Very Happy I am sure even with a small mark up put on at your end I'll still save money!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What spark plugs for 18RG
Next Topic:starter motor issues
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:54:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048718452453613 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.