Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon5.gif  1J Dumps Mon, 05 December 2005 10:14 Go to next message
Hey guys i just wanted to get some opinions on this. I'm going to be in the near future (month) buying a set of dumps form my 1j. Y pipe dumps that is. Thing is there's a few sets kickin about and i wanted to see what people thought of the variations. real world xp would be nice but soild theory is welcom as well! Wink

I'm sure most of you have seen petes pipes? thats option one, for those that haven't they are standard big cone over the whole ext side then they join further down into one 3"

Option two is a FULL seperated exit and waste gate setup that joins further down and then again together then 3". I've read that this is THE set up to have as it creates the best flow and also removes the posibility of 'swirl' (or whatever you'd like to call it) just outs side of theexit and gate, and of course, there for make better flow. This option is OB quite a bit dearer

So heres the go, i've decided to squeeze every bit of HP outta the stock setup ( i wanna be as legal, or visualy legal, as posible). So the Q is; IS option two going to make ANY real difference or is the gain going to be so small it becomes a null event?

BTW NO offence is shot at pete in this the dumps look top notch! Option two is just a setup i've been pining about for a while, Now it come to decision time!

ThanX in advance!
  Send a private message to this user    
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: 1J Dumps Mon, 05 December 2005 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
presuming your talking about Pete's pipes and Lew's dumps, ive seen both, inspected petes in person.
both are great designs, lews design and actual fabrication is superior but ultimately doesnt warrant the 2x cost IMO.
There is more potential in Lews dumps but if your on a budget and or cannot justify spending twice the cost when your aware you wont get twice the performance, then petes pipes are the go.

Another alternative is if your handy with a drop saw and a welder you could make your own.
Or if you no somebody in the game get your own fabricated. i chose this method for a few reasons. that being said ive got my own custom dumps on my 1J, they work great and i still have the jig for them. ...to fit a M/T JZA70.

good luck.
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1J Dumps Tue, 06 December 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHA you picked em straight away! i was trying to not get to much bias from the random readers!

So your custom set did you go with the seperated gates? if you did, do you think that the seperated gates path was the way to go? especialy for my tuning route?
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: 1J Dumps Tue, 06 December 2005 12:02 Go to previous message
no i didnt get the divorced wastegate dump, infact i kept the whole design very simple. mild steel (cheaper & less prone to cracking than s/s) 2 1/4" pipes instead of 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" for easier fitting and retained a 2 piece design. Had i done it again i would even remove the o2 sensor plate (post dumps) but at the same time have the dumps ceramic coated... i ran outta cash this time.

the divorced wastegate dumps sound great and in theory should not only improve flow but also improve boost control. but unforunately i cannot justify the gains to the extra coin required to fabricate them. i doubt more than a couple of HP would be achieved.

in short yes they are a good idea but no i couldnt afford to have them made.

Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What would Cause TPS to play up ?
Next Topic:Celsior Tech Pages
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:54:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047459602355957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.