Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on of my mates got a corona once aswell, we abused it.

it took 60sec to get to 60km/h.
but we still drove it into town when we knew we would catch a cab home. just left it anywhere hoping it would get towed and never to be seen again.
  Send a private message to this user    
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A while since I've chimed in on teh forums, so here's a last dig before this one closes down:

Fix It Again Tony (F.I.A.T) Purchased Alfa in 1984, and I do recall the cars built from then 'til the early 90's being particularly rusty, just like some of the rusting junk FIAT themselves were thrusting upon an unsuspecting public since the 70's. The mudguards on Dad's FIAT tractor can literally be seen rusting away over a period of weeks ! ! !

Does anyone know how Pre-1984 Alfas fair with the dreaded orange/brown steel curse?

The F6 Typhoon/Tornado was recalled because the Falco6 makes a unique secondary vibration at very particular RPM's which was breaking or popping-free one of three clips in the system which kept the middle clutch plates seperated when the clutch was in, during gearchanges. Turns out Ford/FPV just wasn't blasting through gearchanges hard enough, at the right revs to pop/break the clips.

The Commodore VX series 2 GenIII oil consumption thing was a result of GM changing to a cheaper supplier for rings and pistons. Turns out they weren't up to scratch on tolerances, and made a few batches of undersized pistons. Combine this with some batches of N.Q.R. rings and Bingo-bango, you've got a tonne of oil consumption and piston-slap problems.

It may have enjoyed a mere 130hp from it's Renault/Volvo V6, but DANG is the DMC DeLorean cool ! . 6539 cars were made and sold, and after recievers assembled the remaining cars in 1983, they dumped the moulds and body stamps in the Atlantic Ocean ! ! ! !

Most Hyundai Excel's are fine if you keep 'em off rough/dirt roads, and don't thrash the crap out of 'em. Unfortunately using them as country-town Pizza delivery cars breaks both these rules so bad it HURTS! (Stupid dash electrics - THUMP!)

Starfire 4cylinder motors aren't all bad - Heaps of people use the conrods in mild V8's.

Ford fixed all the big problems with the Capri convertable in the 2nd version of it, but the damage was done, and all the P.R. spin in the world couldn't get sales out of the basement.

The AU Falcon was WAY underdeveloped, rushed into the showrooms months ahead of time. VT Commode was KILLING the EL Falcon in sales, and Ford was deperate to stop the sales slide. I've heard first or second hand of problems in nearly EVERY SINGLE part of the car. How about the spare-wheel tub falling out of the boot? Still not as bad as EA Falcon/NA Fairlane . . . .

Series II AU seems ok, Series III better than most aussie stuff.

VZ Commodore is Grouse. Buy one, now. Then buy a second one!

Buy a VZ Series II next year for your Mum/Dad. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AU Series 3 XR8 nothing but troubles, cousin bought one and he has been driving a ke70 round more often than not as the ford is off the road getting fixed.

As for the VZ series 2 will one even be released with the looming VE coming quite soon.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 15:06

AU Series 3 XR8 nothing but troubles, cousin bought one and he has been driving a ke70 round more often than not as the ford is off the road getting fixed.

As for the VZ series 2 will one even be released with the looming VE coming quite soon.

Australia gets new, compulsory Emissions laws (Euro3) on all cars built after January 1, 2006. That'll be your VZ series 2 right there . . Wink Same for Falcon/Territory just doing series 2. New Magna (sorry - 380) is already compliant.

What's wrong with Cuz's AU-III XR8 ?
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 14:59

A while since I've chimed in on teh forums, so here's a last dig before this one closes down:

Fix It Again Tony (F.I.A.T) Purchased Alfa in 1984, and I do recall the cars built from then 'til the early 90's being particularly rusty, just like some of the rusting junk FIAT themselves were thrusting upon an unsuspecting public since the 70's. The mudguards on Dad's FIAT tractor can literally be seen rusting away over a period of weeks ! ! !

Does anyone know how Pre-1984 Alfas fair with the dreaded orange/brown steel curse?

The F6 Typhoon/Tornado was recalled because the Falco6 makes a unique secondary vibration at very particular RPM's which was breaking or popping-free one of three clips in the system which kept the middle clutch plates seperated when the clutch was in, during gearchanges. Turns out Ford/FPV just wasn't blasting through gearchanges hard enough, at the right revs to pop/break the clips.

The Commodore VX series 2 GenIII oil consumption thing was a result of GM changing to a cheaper supplier for rings and pistons. Turns out they weren't up to scratch on tolerances, and made a few batches of undersized pistons. Combine this with some batches of N.Q.R. rings and Bingo-bango, you've got a tonne of oil consumption and piston-slap problems.

It may have enjoyed a mere 130hp from it's Renault/Volvo V6, but DANG is the DMC DeLorean cool ! . 6539 cars were made and sold, and after recievers assembled the remaining cars in 1983, they dumped the moulds and body stamps in the Atlantic Ocean ! ! ! !

Most Hyundai Excel's are fine if you keep 'em off rough/dirt roads, and don't thrash the crap out of 'em. Unfortunately using them as country-town Pizza delivery cars breaks both these rules so bad it HURTS! (Stupid dash electrics - THUMP!)

Starfire 4cylinder motors aren't all bad - Heaps of people use the conrods in mild V8's.

Ford fixed all the big problems with the Capri convertable in the 2nd version of it, but the damage was done, and all the P.R. spin in the world couldn't get sales out of the basement.

The AU Falcon was WAY underdeveloped, rushed into the showrooms months ahead of time. VT Commode was KILLING the EL Falcon in sales, and Ford was deperate to stop the sales slide. I've heard first or second hand of problems in nearly EVERY SINGLE part of the car. How about the spare-wheel tub falling out of the boot? Still not as bad as EA Falcon/NA Fairlane . . . .

Series II AU seems ok, Series III better than most aussie stuff.

VZ Commodore is Grouse. Buy one, now. Then buy a second one!

Buy a VZ Series II next year for your Mum/Dad. Very Happy

the moulds for the delorean are used to hold down lobster pots on the west coast of ireland
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 15:16

Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 15:06

Australia gets new, compulsory Emissions laws (Euro3) on all cars built after January 1, 2006. That'll be your VZ series 2 right there . . Wink Same for Falcon/Territory just doing series 2. New Magna (sorry - 380) is already compliant.

Diff is farked had to be replaced, extractors cracked and another problem with the muffler and a couple of other things, between being back to the ford dealer to have stuff replace then putting it into a roundabout shortly after it getting back it has barely seen the road in the 9 months he has owned it.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 15:22

st184 sillycar wrote

Diff is farked had to be replaced, extractors cracked and another problem with the muffler and a couple of other things, between being back to the ford dealer to have stuff replace then putting it into a roundabout shortly after it getting back it has barely seen the road in the 9 months he has owned it.

Diffs'll do that. Most manufacturers just give you a "bare minimum" drivetrain, that 98% of people won't ROOT. Too bad if you're in the 2% and give it a hard time, eh?

Exhausts/headers'll do that. Steel gets hot, hardens/crystalises, eventually cracks.

The roundabout thing is hardly Ford's fault ! Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2005 04:31]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still surprised i havent seen any lesbian pics yet
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: lemons Tue, 29 November 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spirokeet wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 13:02

I once inherited a starfire corona from my great aunt! Embarassed
I can testify that it accelerated, cornered and sounded like a mule with terminal larengitis.
Couldn't get rid of that pile of shit quick enough

It's not all bad Razz I actually learnt to drive in a starfire Corona wagon which my family had owned since new until it was scrapped a few years ago.

Took many long driving holidays and only ever had one problem when the timing gear literally crumbled outside Lightning Ridge. If it was a Toyota engine we would've been stranded for a few days but since it was a Holden item they had spare parts at the local garage Wink

So all in all it was pretty reliable, cheap & easy to DIY repair and it also wasn't too bad on fuel considering the car only had a 4 speed manual. I think the biggest problem (apart from being gutless) is that it was put into cars which were too big such as the LX/UC Torana/Sunbird and the VB/VC Commodore...

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2005 08:21]

spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: lemons Wed, 30 November 2005 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 08:20

spirokeet wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 13:02

I once inherited a starfire corona from my great aunt! Embarassed
I can testify that it accelerated, cornered and sounded like a mule with terminal larengitis.
Couldn't get rid of that pile of shit quick enough

It's not all bad Razz I actually learnt to drive in a starfire Corona wagon which my family had owned since new until it was scrapped a few years ago.

Took many long driving holidays and only ever had one problem when the timing gear literally crumbled outside Lightning Ridge. If it was a Toyota engine we would've been stranded for a few days but since it was a Holden item they had spare parts at the local garage Wink

So all in all it was pretty reliable, cheap & easy to DIY repair and it also wasn't too bad on fuel considering the car only had a 4 speed manual. I think the biggest problem (apart from being gutless) is that it was put into cars which were too big such as the LX/UC Torana/Sunbird and the VB/VC Commodore...

Mine was the auto.. I got so frustrated at its lack of grunt that I broke the gear selector by twisting it whilst driving down the eastern freeway. After that I could only use neutral, reverse and drive.
The old Holden six lost everything it had going for it after being turned into the Starfire 4. Damn John Button!!
ke20_rolla
Regular

November 2004
Re: lemons Sun, 04 December 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First thought when i saw this thread was 'LESBIANS" but i have failed to see any.

But, VT commodores had a problem with stick accelerator cables. Also the new monaro's also had the problem with oil consumption and piston slap.

Parents own an ea falcon and the only problem we have had with it is the cooling system which was at the start of this year in summer time. Dont see how they were so problematic.

My 2 cents.

Laters
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: lemons Sun, 04 December 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 17:14

mitsubishi cordia/starion.
great when they work, but they fall apart ALL the time

nah they're not!

lemon = calibra.

Eldar.O.
wawa
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: lemons Mon, 05 December 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was the AU3 XR8 bought new or was it an EX cop car?
worst australian car ever? Camaira funnily enough N13 pulsars use the same engines and seem OK.
TN magnas Australlias most abandoned car.
Capris use the same mechanicals as KE lasers and those things are popular.
Alfas rusted from the 70s for some reason white ones rusted faster, buggered if i know.
any thing with lucas electrics, they didnt call them the prince of darkness for nothing.
early pajeros had gearbox issues
Twin cam Daewoo Cielo's. not a safe motor.
all early gen 333 comodores had piston clearance issues. VN series ones may be course but they keep going (unless thrashed) but do rust around the rear window. EA falcons had overheating problems due to a filling error at the factory that left an air lock in the head. but they are known for eating head gaskets.
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: lemons Mon, 05 December 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cressidas got dodgy heads. I think thats the only toyota with problems or am i wrong?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: lemons Mon, 05 December 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What was wrong with the Ford Broncho II, leyland p76 and holden drover ?
I'm pretty sure the rust in alfas was due to them being put outside before being painted.

I'm told old datsun 2X0Z's all rust in the left hand corner or the chassis.

I wouldn't call this a lemon but a design flaw.
MA61's and Xa6X celica's WILL rust in the rear hatch.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lemons Tue, 06 December 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EA-/EB Falcons also had semi-regular problems with casting sand getting stuck in the water galleries of tbe Engine. Give it 5-10 years, and it slowly (or suddenly) shakes free, clogging the radiator up a treat ! !

VN Commodore V6 had water pump and welch plug issues as I remember . . .

EA onwards Falcons develop a leaky power steering pump, which drips straight into the alternator, shagging it too !! Laughing Laughing EL or EF Falcon had the ABS modulator infront of the L.H. Front wheel! !!! A knock to that corner of the car, and BAM ! ! there go your brakes . . . Nice thinking there Ford . . . !

VB Commodores occasionally rip the upper rear-axle locating arm mounts out of the body.. However the problem of front struts getting punched through the bonnet (!) was fixed before production started . . . YAY ! Very Happy

ANYTHING with automatic, or in-car adjustable suspension is bound to eventually fail, and be hideously expensive if you want to return it to factory-spec.

VZ Commodores are ACE, and everyone should buy at least one (fact).
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lemons Tue, 06 December 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe EA are fucking shithouse on regular occasions our neighbour who has the owned theres since knew (fuck knows why) anyway, on a few separate occasions the gearbox has become fuxored and just refuses to select reverse (auto).

Also at the advanced driver course I did young bloke in an ED Xr8 plows into braking area and launches on the brakes biggest lock up evah, woops abs doesn't work, check fuses nope all ok so something somewhere was fucked.
wawa
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: lemons Tue, 06 December 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the second generation of taragos (wombats) keep parts sellers rich. the drive shaft from the engine forward to the alternator PS AC etc is carbon fibre and an $1800 item from toyota aparently. just had too much clever engineering for thier own good.
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: lemons Tue, 06 December 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2005 11:53]

olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: lemons Tue, 06 December 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 19:05

the nissan EXA got voted in the top10 worst cars ever.

excells arent to bad i have an 86 excell as my daily driver. only prob we've ever had with it is replacing coolant pump and thats it. still chugging along almost at 200,000ks

ive heard 2 things about excels from my good mate who used to work at barry smith in pennant hills

(1)
cross members had a recall and had to be drilled and pop rivetted at service centres cos they crumble in crashes around 25kmph

(2)
the seats and seat belts have a tendancy to rip the bolts out in crashed over 70kmph

also didnt ta22 celicas come factory fitted with rust?
something to do with poor second hand steal
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: lemons Tue, 06 December 2005 12:02 Go to previous message
wawa wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 23:23

Alfas rusted from the 70s for some reason white ones rusted faster, buggered if i know.

white ones rust faster because they reflect heat and hence the dont dry as quik so therefore they rust

have u ever worn black plants and a white shirt on a sunny day and notice how hot the pants are while the shirt isnt same reason

also all italian and spanish cars from the 80s and earlier rust because of there local has a different chemical make up

i think its a high amount of carbon but im not sure
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:does this sound legit
Next Topic:compliance places in syd
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:09:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068700313568115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.