Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

GT4 Intercooler probs Thu, 24 November 2005 06:28 Go to next message
Hey Guys,
I have a ST165 with the water to air intercooler. Problem is, she's not working.
The engine light comes on when you are driving and goes off again after you've stopped for a bit. I checked the codes and it came up with intercooler pump/level, and its not the level.
- Pump works fine (i ran it straight off of the battery and it pumped great)
- There is power going to the pump from the wiring loom (checked with multimeter, shows a healthy 14 odd volts)
But when all put together, no pumping.

I thought about getting a relay and wiring the pump off of the ignition maybe with an inline switch but i don't want the engine light coming on all the time.

Any thoughts? Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2005 07:27]

Send a private message to this user    
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Thu, 24 November 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your getting a check engine light your ECU should have stored an error code. Before changing wiring and stuff you should pull the codes using your diagnostic port in the engine bay (google search or forum search will reveal how) and record them.

Post the codes up here If you dont have a reference and someone here with a 165 tech manual can decipher the cause. Very Happy
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Thu, 24 November 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry man. i left that part out. I have checked the error codes and it came up with intercooler. I've edited the original message to stop further confusion. Cheers anyway.
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Thu, 24 November 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry man. i left that part out. I have checked the error codes and it came up with intercooler. I've edited the original message to stop further confusion. Cheers anyway.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Thu, 24 November 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not sure what generates the code, could be either the ECU senses no current to the pump, or there is a float mechanism in the intercooler to sense low fluid level....sounds to me like the means of sensing the intercooler status is faulty if you have made visual inspections to confirm its working...either that or the wiring from sed sensors is faulty...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Thu, 24 November 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you clear the codes first? And what is the code your getting?
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Thu, 24 November 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the same thing has been happening to me. The engine light comes on and its the pump/ fluid level indicator.

there is great flow in the intercooler tho. Happens when im in traffic tho.

I made the pump pump continously tho. I bridged sum wires to make that error code go away, but maybe that is the cause...

ty
Tony
Regular

October 2002
Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Sat, 26 November 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a common problem on the water/air intercooler. I had this problem a couple of years ago on my ST185, and it turned out that the actual level sensor was buggered. Had it replaced ($150?) & all was good again.
Several months later I got the same error again & that time it was a dodgy connector plug (a few inches down the line from the level sensor). Replaced with new $2 generic connector plug & all has been okay since.
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Fri, 02 December 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i think the code was 54 if i remember correctly. It was definitely the intercooler code though and yes i have reset the codes a few times.
Does anyone know if the computer turns off power to the pump if it is getting signal that the level is low or that the pump isn't working?
Also does anyone know how the level checker works. Is it like a switch 'on' when the level is good or 'on' if the level is low?
Also is there any other sensor that tells the computer if the pump is functioning or not?
or to put it another way, How does the comp tell if the pump is working?
I don't expect you guys to know all these things but any input would help. I struggle to find any manual type information on this car.
Cheers for your help guys.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Fri, 02 December 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.gtfours.co.uk/

this guy has almost all the gtfour info u will ever need listed on the site..and if u need to know anything thats not on the site...drop him an email and ask him...hes the man...the unnoficial gtfour guru
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Mon, 05 December 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon i have it sussed boys.
The intercooler level checker is a float switch which is in position 'on' when the level is good. My float switch works but the float itself has lost its bouyancy. Therefore when in the intercooler (or a glass of water) it doesn't float up to complete the circuit and the comp thinks the level is low and hence the warning light.
Cheers for ya input guys i'll post the final story FYI.
Thanks again
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: GT4 Intercooler probs Wed, 07 December 2005 01:59 Go to previous message
Yeah your right, float is a "normally closed" type which open circuits when the level is low.

If you look after your car then; Eliminate the float - ie bridge the wires. The only risk is pump burnout if you run it for more than a few minutes while its dry. Most ppl who look after their wheels look under the bonnet more often than that and wouldn let it run dry.

I know an example on a slivia with an ATWIC setup where the guy simply had two exposed gold (anything corrosion resistant will do) contacts about 40mm from the bottom of the tank. They were about 5mm apart and when submerged the water conducted enough to keep the circuit complete.

I dont think it was wired into the ECU, rather just a safety mechanism on the pump.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:are TA-22 and RA-23 wheels arches the same size
Next Topic:What spark plugs for 18RG
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:39:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041921138763428 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.