Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGE Overheating while driving!Causes?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
4AGE Overheating while driving!Causes? Wed, 07 December 2005 04:57 Go to next message
I was just driving home from Annangrove, so it is mostly 60 and 70 zones, so I was driving the whole time, and when I was about 3/4 of the way home I looked at my temp guage and it was halfway between where it should be and the red zone, so I kept driving and it just kept getting hotter and hotter! I just managed to make it home.
I don't have time to look at it today, but I am gonna have a crack at fixing the piece of shit tomorrow.
Can anyone suggest places to look at?
I am gonna replace the thermostat, and stick the hose in the radiator to make sure that isnt blocked up. is there anything else I should be testing or replacing?
Thanks for any help.
-Whitchy-
  Send a private message to this user    
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4AGE Overheating while driving!Causes? Wed, 07 December 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the top of ur oil cap for white/creamy goo. if its present you have blown the head and oil is in the water, thats y its over heating. also check the radiotor cap for same thing.
if there nothing there then its all good.

get ur radiator flow tested to make sure its still good.
check ur water pump if u got some more time.

in the mean time if u remove the termostat u should b able to drive around with out it over heating. i did it for 2 weeks with no probs and heard of many ppl doing this. but some people have said that with no thermo stat it will stop water getting to the back of ur head and could blow gasket.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE Overheating while driving!Causes? Wed, 07 December 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont frigging remove your thermostat, just dont.

stupid question, but which way does your fan blow? does it work?
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGE Overheating while driving!Causes? Wed, 07 December 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 18:32

dude, he said "replace".
The fan is on the motor side of the radiator. So it would suck. That is grill - radiator - fan - engine bay. The fan would really be doing very much while the car is in motion.
Whats the water pump belt like ? My other guess would be the water pump itself.
And as for using a hose to flush the coolant system (radaitor included) is just about a waste of time. If your game,with the top rad hose fitted, after you've flushed the motor top to bottom thinking its clean, place your mouth on the top hose and blow the water out the bottom. Yes it fowl tasting, fowl smelling (note use of chicken wording) and most likely does other bad things,do it a couple of times and take notice to the crap coming out of the bottom hose. Get it pressure flushed.

Edit: It pays to re-read things Embarassed re-read the post from illuminatus. Its more to do with the design of the head with coolant flow. But all in all the thermostat is there for a reason and increasing fuel usage isn't one of 'em

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2005 08:13]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE Overheating while driving!Causes? Wed, 07 December 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

in the mean time if u remove the termostat u should b able to drive around with out it over heating.

what side of the radiator the fan is on has nothing to do with which way it blows/sucks, for example on my car i have a "suck" fan (that is, normally mounted on the engine side of the radiator) mounted on the front of the radiator, running backwards so it blows air through it. i have seen fans wired wrong before, its a reasonably easy mistake to make.

if all the easy stuff is right, take it to a radiator joint.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: 4AGE Overheating while driving!Causes? Wed, 07 December 2005 23:25 Go to previous message
shinybluesteel wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 18:32

Hear hear.

Seen a few thermo's thermofan trying to push hot air from the bay back out the front through the core.

Removing thermo thermostat is stupid. You OVERHEAT more often than not. You warp heads, blow gaskets, fuckin root things. But by all means go right ahead, experience is the best way to learn...

I would;
check coolant level, and for leaks at hoses and at HG.
check resistance of thermo at cold & hot.
check resistance of coolant temp sensor.
check water pump.

If all that checks out id pressure clean the radiator and water jacket.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 01:44]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:same models??
Next Topic:TA22 antenna
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:25:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043478012084961 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.