Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cracked 7AFE Exhaust Manifold - May need new exhaust manifold

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Cracked 7AFE Exhaust Manifold - May need new exhaust manifold Thu, 08 December 2005 01:11 Go to next message
Just yesterday morning, when i started my car (97 AE102 (7AFE) Corolla Seca) I noticed the exhaust sound was a lot lounder than normal and was coming from front. I had a look under the bonnet and I noticed a crack in the exhaust manifold. Dad said not to worry but he said I'll need to get it fixed. I noticed a little later the noise had disappeared, but when i left work yesterday afternoon it was back. And again this morning.

So what I think is happening is theres the crack, but as the manifold heats up it expands and it must close up the gap.

So I'll get an exhuast place to check it on the weekend. They may be able to weld it, but it may be cheaper to get extractors.

If i go extractors, is ther much range for the 7AFE? If so what should I look for? are they all much the same? pricing?

I guess if I go for extractors, i'll need a new exhaust too. If I do this what diameter should I go? 2", 2.5"? I plan on turboing it next year, so I don't want it to be underrated for a turbo. But I also don't want it to sound ricey. I want a bit more flow and a better note, but not the ricey (sounds like rattly number plate or something) sound.

I'll be going to Bundaberg if it makes any difference?
  Send a private message to this user    
adamaw11
Regular

February 2005
Re: Cracked 7AFE Exhaust Manifold - May need new exhaust manifold Thu, 08 December 2005 03:02 Go to previous message
If you have the money, consider turboing it now. If you buy extractors now, it'll be a waste of a few hundred bucks if they're gonna be replaced by a turbo manifold in the near future anyway.

Most people would say you shouldn't go any bigger than 2.25 inch with a naturally aspirated four, or it will be too loud and not legal. But with a turbo you'd wanna go 2.5 or 3 inch for the extra flow and it won't be as loud (turbos quieten the exhaust down a fair bit remember).

The rattly sound you're referring to is probably due to the choice of muffler more than anything.
  Send a private message to this user    
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:colder thermostat 4age
Next Topic:Solenoid Resistor
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:58:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0036709308624268 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.