Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
colder thermostat 4age Wed, 30 November 2005 04:46 Go to next message
does anyone know where you can get a colder thermostat for the 4age.

I know TRD have a 71 degress thermostat

Any other places in australia?
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: colder thermostat 4age Wed, 30 November 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would you want a cooler one?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: colder thermostat 4age Wed, 30 November 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, why?
parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: colder thermostat 4age Wed, 30 November 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had a really good look through the tridon catalogue and they have nothing the right size in that heat range.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Wed, 30 November 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ive noticed after my rebuild of my gze , it runs pretty hot.
Like my thermofan would kick in 70% of the time..

The standard thermostat opens at 82 degrees as the TRD opens at 71degrees. This way my thermostat would open earlier and let more cool water into the engine..

i was doing abit ofresearch and apparently there is a thermostat called billion which opens at 65 degrees...

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 22:02]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: colder thermostat 4age Wed, 30 November 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fix your radiator, the thermo fan will only turn on after your thermostat has opened, so putting in a colder one wont do anything at all, except let your engine temp get down lower when you are moving (not a good thing, i ran my car for about 6 months with a faulty always open thermostat until i worked out what was wrong)
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Wed, 30 November 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmms..my radiator has been pulled apart and flushed inside out with a new thermostat.

With the thermstat in i notice when my temp gauge hits 90 degrees, the thermofan kicks in and then it drops to 79 and quickly rises again.so i drilled a few holes on the outside of the thermostat to help flow it a bit.

i took the thermostat out completley and it seems to run alot cooler and thermofan not kicking in as much.

im running a nissan twin core radiator with a 4agze @11psi boost..maybe the radiator is not big enough?

let me know what u think?

or is this just normal?

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 01 December 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm i think your thermo fans are set to cool down too low, or your thermostat runs too high, or both.

DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 01 December 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well its running factory ecu..
so thats why i thought a colder thermostat would be good..

anyone else have any opinions
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 01 December 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on my thermostat i just cut the middle spring a bit, so the coolant would flow through easyer.
parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 01 December 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was you I would put the thermostat back in before you blow a head gasket. The thermostat actually helps to ensure that water flows all around the head. Take it out and it will bypass the back of the head. You THINK the temp is ok because the temp sender is in the thermostat housing.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 01 December 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errr...
dams man a mechanic i know said it should be fine..

well the thermostat will be back in tomorrow

thanks everyone..

i still may consider the colder thermostat...
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: colder thermostat 4age Sun, 04 December 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DacBietAE86 wrote on Fri, 02 December 2005 09:02

i still may consider the colder thermostat...

A colder thermostat wil have absolutely no effect on whether a car overheats or not. As long as your thermostat works (opens and closes at some point) then you should be fine.

If you are having overheating problems you should look at your radiator, fans, airflow and possible airlocks in your coolant lines.

A colder thermostat will have ZERO effect on your problem, and will just mean your car will take longer to warm up to a good operating temperature. Which is bad.

Hen
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: colder thermostat 4age Sun, 04 December 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should consider getting a better intercooler or a hood scoop for the standard intercooler if you already havnt.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Sun, 04 December 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have just put a new thermostat and it seems to be working well with an average temp of about 80 degrees coming up to about 92degrees and thermofan kicking in then back to about 80 degrees.
The fan is coming on pretty frequent,

I made a switch for the thermofan and and leave it on always which keeps the temp about 80degrees.

the radiator has been pulled apart and flushed properley with toyota coolant.

Would that be a better idea ? or to just leave it kick in automatically.

Im running a nissan aluminium twin core radiator with a fat trust front mount

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 23:40]

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: colder thermostat 4age Mon, 05 December 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I overheard from someone who builds 4AGEs (and other race motors) for a living that the best running temp for a 4A is 91 degrees.

You only need to worry if your temps are getting over 110 and close to 120 degrees when giving some stick.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Mon, 05 December 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for all your help Henn..

really appreciate it..

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: colder thermostat 4age Mon, 05 December 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anybody know the maximum allowable oil temperature? i have an oil temp gauge and the warning light comes on at around 98degrees (just b4 100).
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Mon, 05 December 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i have a omori oil temp gauge and average is about 85degrees but it does come up to 95degrees and the red indicator comes on but quickly comes off.

parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: colder thermostat 4age Tue, 06 December 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have some sort of fan shroud to make sure the fan is pulling air thru the whole radiatior and not just the bit where the fan is?

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: colder thermostat 4age Tue, 06 December 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DacBietAE86 wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 09:02

i was doing abit ofresearch and apparently there is a thermostat called billion which opens at 65 degrees...

thats the one ive got. takes ages to come to temp but it wont get too hot prematurely so thats ok with me.

and im a warm up kinda person, turn the car on in the garage before you go out and wait for it to come to temp. Smile takes longer but it feels better to drive from the get go.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: colder thermostat 4age Tue, 06 December 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have TRD thermostat (70 degrees?) and aftermarket ecu. takes FORREVAA to get warm :S
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: colder thermostat 4age Tue, 06 December 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mostly agree with the comments. 1) must have a t'stat, 2) it wont solve other cooling problems. 3) it must have the foot valve plate to allow all the water to go thru the rad once open.

We use a hi-flow 78 or 82 degree version in our race engines, depening on the time of the year. We try to keep oil and water both under 90C under full race conditions. much colder than about 80C will cost power.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 08 December 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you need to look at having an inappropriately thick, and just generally wrong intercooler.

Exactly what size is this "fat" FMIC that has all of 11psi raging thru it and is blocking all the good stuff to your radiator?

Also, what the answer on th fan shroud? They do serve a function. Its amazing how many ppl rip em out thinkin they restrict air from blowing through while the car is moving...

Laughing
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 08 December 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my fmic is of a trust core (520x250x70)

I think its too large for my car, but the previous owner i think had plans for a big turbo setup.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 05:39]

mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: colder thermostat 4age Thu, 08 December 2005 05:31 Go to previous message
Quote:

ive put a new thermostat back in and i think the car drives alot better now without the thermostat.

What do you meaneth?

Speaketh de Ingelish der man, your toorkin dubbl dutch.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Auto Radiator oil cooling
Next Topic:Cracked 7AFE Exhaust Manifold - May need new exhaust manifold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:21:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059950351715088 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.