Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
1g-gte without turbos Tue, 06 December 2005 02:02 Go to next message
hey everyone, just having a few crazy thoughts at the moment, just wondering would it be possible for me to run a 1ggte running on gas without the turbos? it has no ecu so that wont get upset, just wondering if the compression or cam differences between a 1gge and 1ggte will make it gutless?
thanks guys
~andrew~
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Tue, 06 December 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it would be just like a 1GGE except gayer due to it being a low compression engine that was designed for boost.

Cams??? Not sure about the differences.

Top notch idea though it should be quite the ball tearer Wink Confused
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Tue, 06 December 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know it wont have anywhere near as much power as one with turbos, but im puttin it into my ke70, and im only 17 so i dont wanna have a boosted engine in there just yet.
does anyone know the actual compression differences?
and i know the cams differ, however there was no clear distinction on how they differ in the thread i was reading the other week, if any one knows the actual differences itll be very much appreciated
~andrew~
only thinking of doin this coz laying ones hands on a 1gge going cheap isnt exactly easy
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Tue, 06 December 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

does anyone know the actual compression differences?

A quick google search will give you that answer.

Quote:

only thinking of doin this coz laying ones hands on a 1gge going cheap isnt exactly easy

Considering how cheaply 1GGTE engines sell for I would have thought they would be almost giving away the 1GGE engines.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Tue, 06 December 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i spose they mite, but from what i can ascertain theres not alot of 1gge's out there, which makes gettin one a touch a difficult

ahuh just found wat seems to be the answer,
1gge- 9.1 or 9.0 or 9.5 depending on model and country
1ggze-8.0
1ggte-8.5
thanx to this site: http://www.zhaust.com/forum/index.php?t=tree&t h=7838&rid=0

and http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=87356&start=0&rid=12298&S=6964a1693b f9ad305801afd80ee64c7f
says that
1G-GTE cams have : 7.3mm lift and 194 degrees duration.
1G-GE cams have : 7.5mm lift and 205 degrees duration.

so theres not a huge difference, but i may try and track down a 1gge, if anyone can help me out on that itd be much appreciated Smile
~andrew~
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte without turbos Tue, 06 December 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't find a 1GGE, just get a 1GGTE and learn to drive responsibly. The idea of a non-boosted GTE, with it's 8.5:1 compression and smaller cams makes baby jesus cry.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Tue, 06 December 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol ok, i have no issues driving a boosted car, its dad that dont trust me,
i dont want to make baby jesus cry so i shall continue my search for a 1gge Very Happy
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are not Turbos dad... they are some kind of weird device the japanese use for improving fuel economy.... Rolling Eyes
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 12:20

They are not Turbos dad... they are some kind of weird device the japanese use for improving fuel economy.... Rolling Eyes

even better...

1GGZE it Wink

"nah thats the power steering pump"

Wink Wink Wink
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing i like i like!
and the front mount intercooler? ive already got air-con so that wont work Sad need a name for that hmm

anyone got a 1g of any description for sale let us know aye. thanx
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 16:47

Laughing i like i like!
and the front mount intercooler? ive already got air-con so that wont work Sad need a name for that hmm

anyone got a 1g of any description for sale let us know aye. thanx

if youre dead keen on not showing your dad then I suppose you dont absolutely need an intercooler...
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats probably very true....
in a ke70 i dont think im gonna need the extra power from it.
but just a thought, i wanna run her on gas, which is a hotter burn than petrol, and id im not intercooling will i be runner super hot? or just not gettin the most from the engine?
thanx
~andrew~
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if your running it on gas you have some great octane happening there so you wont need the cooler as much! Still i dont see why your dad is worried. I mean, people get scared when you say the word 'turbo', and then horified when you say 'TWIN TURBO Evil or Very Mad " but in the end its all about the power output of the engine. Even more so important is the torque, as it is relative to acceleration etc. S

o i think you should convince him by saying; "dad i could have got a commodore which is nearly as powerful or this most reliable toyota."

Get the twins you'l love it!
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, the 1ggte has the same power as his falcon, but hes not stoopid Sad and will bring in the power to weight ratio, he's just worried bout me killin myself, he also isnt a fan of forced induction, just coz he's old an prejudiced, but it really is the only way to get usuable power out of a small engine
he makes things so difficult, harder than the conversion i expect Razz
i may look into the s/c venture, as i like to burn ppl off the lights Evil or Very Mad
ill love anythin more than the 4k Very Happy
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats not an IC, it makes the radiator more efficient...

i would 1G-GZE it, can you change the pulleys? like you said you don't want alot of power so run a low fixed boost. Or put on the twins and keep the waste gate open, it would make a "fully sic" noise
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol he's not quite that dumb Sad
yeah i think u can change the pulleys, are you saying change to a larger (?) pulley so u produce more boost? i dont think id bother, just keep stock and be careful, 11psi aint too much anyway, enough to kill that skyline tho Evil or Very Mad
twins, open wastegate = no boost(?)
i want the fewly hektik noize tho bro Razz
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
open waste gate (i may be using the wrong word here) will make all pressure made go straight out the exhaust and not pressurize the intake so it will whistle but make no difference to power, may have to remove something so it can still close on vacuum, dunno if it will work or not.

An no i meant a smaller pulley to make only minimal boost (like maybe 6psi or so), since your not after alot of power, this will also reduce heat build up, then swap it for a bigger one later.

Shoulda sold my 1G-GEU for more, never thought it would be sort after though as i wasn't a fan of its efforts in my car.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Thu, 08 December 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so open wastegate is the same as running without the turbos (basically) i dont wanna make baby jesus cry Razz
but wont a smaller pulley make the s/c spin faster? hence making more boost, no experience with superchargers, just thought it would make sense that the smaller the pulley the faster itll spin and make more boost. hmm am i rong? i usually am.
yeah i may do the less boost thing if its easy enough to do.
you shoulda sold it to me dude Sad
wat car did you have it in and wat did it lack? (power obviously haha) was that all?
thanx mate
~andrew~
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He means a screamer pipe. It is when the exhaust gasses that pass through the wastegate (internal or external but usually external) are sent to the atmosphere rather than back into the exhaust. This is NOT a good idea if you are trying to hide your turbos from your dad.

I reckon just 1g-gte it. The turbos are hidden by the heat shield anyway. They are so bloody tiny, I don’t know how anyone could be scared of them. 2cm compressor wheel Laughing

Gavin had a 1g-ge in a z10. Quite a bit heavier than a ke70.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rather than use a 1GGTE without turbos, why not stick in a 4AG? So much easier to fit, cheaper in the end, a save a little weight, and a whole lot of other issues. Plus nobody, not even your old man, can really complain about it.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know the turbos arnt too big, but still enough for 12 psi boost arnt they? and im not particularly scared of them, i know not to drive like an absolute toss, but that sort of power in a 900kg car makes it look like alooooot of power. but meh, i like it.
i was originally thinking 4age, but its been done sooo many times, and 4a's are more expensive than 1g's. also talkin to someone who's recently done the 4a conversion and is sayin he already wants more power, thats easier with the 1g if i ever decide i need more power.
also coz im running on gas im going to get less power, so it really wouldnt be a great step up.
also the spare part ke70 ive recently bought has everything set up to run a 1g, and all i was looking to do was run the n/a 6 for a while, as i rebuild the 1ggte and make it shiny. then drop that in and sell the 1gge on to someone. but yeah, too many ideas, not enough freedom Sad
thanx for the help guys and remember, see a 1gge for sale, let me know Wink thanx again
~andrew~
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SR20DE out of an S13 silvia, was one drifting on the track the other week neat little package and got a bit more down low and potential for more power than the 4a.

I don't care if its a nissan motor, its got a good 400cc on a 4ag and would be far easier than a rwd conversion on a 3sge and still maintains better weight distribution than putting the six in. Wink
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive thought along that line, but sr20, with no loom or ecu would sell for? from what ive heard they arnt cheap, it is an interesting idea tho, when i want serious power, get a turbo one.
just a thought on the nissan conversion, would i (which would be easier/more effective) use the nissan box, or the w-57 in the car atm? im thinking either way i go id have to get something manufactured, either a bellhousing or the front half of the drive shaft.
thoghts?
thanx
~andrew~
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 15:15

yeah ive thought along that line, but sr20, with no loom or ecu would sell for? from what ive heard they arnt cheap, it is an interesting idea tho, when i want serious power, get a turbo one.
just a thought on the nissan conversion, would i (which would be easier/more effective) use the nissan box, or the w-57 in the car atm? im thinking either way i go id have to get something manufactured, either a bellhousing or the front half of the drive shaft.
thoghts?
thanx
~andrew~

your car ha sa W57 in it now?

and it would be pointless to use a W57 behind the SR, the SR gearbox will hold the power of an NA one EASILY...then you dont have to root around modifying input shafts, clutches, bellhousings, clutch forks etc etc etc
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive recently bought 1ggte ke70's ke70. so yes it has a w57 and all the parts to for a 1g to drop straight in, hence the continured 1g train of thought. so id be better off with the sr box, for the sake of easiness if i went the sr pathway.
does anyone know if theres a website that lists the weight of engines? its one of the hardest things to find, im sure having no luck anyway Crying or Very Sad
~andrew~
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think your dad is reasonably sensible. You are 17. I recommend getting a simple stock car to drive around for a while and improve your driving sense, road skills and car-fixing abilities.

While you are doing that you can have the KE70 as a project, do it properly and then when it eventually hits the road you will:
- Be impressed by the improvement in power and handling
- Hopefully be equipped with the skills needed to not kill anyone, including yourself.

I don't mean to heap crap on you for being young. Just observing that you learn A LOT during your first few years driving, and spending them in a high power car may not be the smartest.

Hen

PS, on the original topic I concur that 1GGTE minus turbos = total rubbish.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 15:23

ive recently bought 1ggte ke70's ke70. so yes it has a w57 and all the parts to for a 1g to drop straight in, hence the continured 1g train of thought. so id be better off with the sr box, for the sake of easiness if i went the sr pathway.
does anyone know if theres a website that lists the weight of engines? its one of the hardest things to find, im sure having no luck anyway Crying or Very Sad
~andrew~

then do this...and listen to henn...

he is wise...

tool around in a stocker KE70...with 4K and sotkc gb etc, learn how to drive...

while you are doing this...build a fullhouse 1GGTE, pistons, rods, headgasket, computer, big single turbo...then when youre a little older drop it in and enjoy wheelspin in all 5 gears Very Happy
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, he's far too sensible Sad lol
the plan is to drive the current ke70 with the 4k, maybe swap over the upgraded suspension brakes and diff so the 15's will fit on, (different stud pattern) and build up a quality engine and then swap it over once its all done, not any time soon.
i agree that super high power when in the next few months will be silly, but with the 4k in there, thats almost as dangerous, being as slow as she is off the mark is scary sometimes.
hewnc the n/a 1g idea, coz i can the build it up more power later. im still not sure about the balance tho,
hmm to much to think about
~andrew~
p.s. Hen are you my father? u sound just like him Laughing
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 16:13

then do this...and listen to henn...

he is wise...

tool around in a stocker KE70...with 4K and sotkc gb etc, learn how to drive...

while you are doing this...build a fullhouse 1GGTE, pistons, rods, headgasket, computer, big single turbo...then when youre a little older drop it in and enjoy wheelspin in all 5 gears Very Happy

do u really think i need more than stock 1g power in a ke70? 900kg, 180 hp, i spose allll the extra power would be awesome, 5th gear burnouts Evil or Very Mad
but im trying to be responsible here Laughing
i think it could be the best way to go tho, just swap over the safety things and bits that arnt gonna make me any quicker, wheels brakes rims and putt putt with the 4k for a while longer, maybe try find a 1gge in time and swap that in, continue the 1ggte build up and then drop that in next year/year after/ when i can afford it and have finished it
~andrew~
but for now, its the stock 4k i believe
Karma Supra
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Fri, 09 December 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 1G-GTE without turbos???

Ooooooh Nooooooooooo... tehy are "not the torqueyest" of engines WITH turbos... I have always shuddered to think what a GE would be like..... (1G-GE supra, can they ever go up hills Razz ) running a GTE with the turbos removed would not be nice at all!!! Why not buy it then say "but the guys on Toymods said it won't work properly" and fit it/them anyway Very Happy
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Sat, 10 December 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah id be inclined to agree the 1g arnt oh so torquey but i dont need miles of torque in the 900kg ke70, so thats why i reckon the 1gge would go alright without being too extreme, it would be my intermediate stage, i think the running without turbos is a idea thrown to the dogs. and after a good build up drop in a either a stock or mildly worked cleaned up and rebuilt worked gte or gze.
thanx guys
~andrew~
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Mon, 12 December 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am the proud owner of a RA40 with a 1GGE in it. it was built by someone on this forums then sold through many hands before arriving at me.
I would assume this to be exactly the same as a ke70 with a 1gge in it.
I reckon it goes quite well. a p plate driver like yourself would probably be more than happy with the power.

It also looks like a very easy conversion, alot less hassle than putting in a turbo motor.
but i have now come to the point where the engine smokes too much and need a new engine and i am questioning whether i will be able to obtain a N/A one, or if i will be paying so much that i might as well upgrade to a turbo.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 1g-gte without turbos Mon, 12 December 2005 09:31 Go to previous message
awesome, thanks for that dude, do u know the weight of a ra40?
i know a ke70 weighs 910 kilos acoodin to toyota, wonderin if you knew anythin in regards to your car?
i agree the n/a would definitely be enough for me at the moment, if not for a fair while.
cant u just rebuild your motor? rather than gettin a new one?
if u do come across one for sale, or a supplier please let me know, i think if they can be found they wont be too expensive.

at one stage someone told me they had 2 however i left it a while before replying to them and am yet to recieve any further information from them. if i see or hear anything i will let you know. thanx mate
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota Camry V6 Sportivo
Next Topic:silver top 20v into ae86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:23:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073959827423096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.