Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Spray Gun Advice - HVLP?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 06:42 Go to next message
Ive recently bought myself a compressor, with the intention of giving my car a respray. Its a 3hp direct drive 15 cfm and 80 litre tank.

It will be sprayed in acryllic and through my research most people have recommended a gun nozzle size of 1.8-2.0mm. Some people have recommended a HVLP (High volume low pressure) gun, but others say these need large compressors (20 cfm) is needed, and some others say I don't need a HVLP gun at all, just a normal gravity fed gun.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between a decent gravity fed gun, and a HVLP gun, in terms of usability and final finsh... apart from price Wink.

Thanks all
- Matt
  Send a private message to this user    
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the HVLP gun is mainly used for primer where a high build is required. When spraying 2pac you use about a 1.2-1.4mm nozzle so maybe 1.8-2mm might be still to big to spray acrylic. Also you will need to get a regulator to control air pressure. I could be wrong on all the above but then again I could be right.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd recommend using a gravity feed gun. There won't be a great difference in the finish which each gun will produce, the main difference comes down to personal preference.

HVLP guns can be more difficult to spray roofs and stuff with because of the can being on the bottom of the gun - causes problems with obscure angles when the can is nearly empty it won't spray any paint, and secondly it can simply get in the way.

With a gravity feed it's on top and out of the way - some people say this makes them top heavy, but having sprayed two cars with gravity feed guns I can't say it's a real issue for me. You can clearly see when it runs dry and it needs topping up, which tends to be fairly often, but I don't believe HVLP guns to have a huge advantage over this anyway.

You won't need to spend a fortune on a good gun, I think I spent <$150 on mine and it's easily got me through two cars, and will last me a long while yet!

Your compressor sounds very ample for what you will be doing, make sure you set up a water trap on it!

Dale
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/moment_matt/compressor2.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/moment_matt/Compressor1.jpg

It has a good water trap and regulator.

Im sorry i should have specified, im looking at the difference between gravity fed hvlp and just a normal gravity gun.
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HVLP stands for high velocity low pressure. Basically it reduces the overspray significantly. It also needs a very high volume of air. If you are doing it in acrylic laquer then a 1.8mm fluid tip on a suction feed gun will work fine. Gravity fed and suction fed all depend on personal preference, the gravity feed gun can get into harder spots though, but not to difficult for suction feed, just dont fill right up when spaying roof or bonnet as it called leak out the breather hole.

have fun, matt.
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've have a cheap 100 buck standard gravity feed gun and I find it does quite a good job considering I'm a newbie at painting.

I've sprayed 2pac and Enamel with it no worries(last year) and recently(last two weeks) I've used it with Acryllic for the first time. Seems to produce a good finish on the Acrylic though I'm still learning. I got a little bit of orange peel on a section of my left rear panel(MX83 project) but I'm still experimenting. Re-sand and touch up tommorow.

The finish with 2pac was awesome. My 4WD's suspension and diff housings(plus other minor bits) came up a treat. I found the 2pac to be easiest to spray with(hard to run) and by far the best finish. Just a lot of prep involved.

I'm using a cheap 99 buck GMC compressor (2hp + 24L) with a quality SMC regulator and water trap. My mini pressure gauge is mounted on the gun. The compressor keeps up fine, though since this morning I've coupled this setup to another small and very old compressor and tank(1.5hp + 60L) for piece of mind.

Good luck.

love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just something to note, locate the water trap a good distance of hose from the tank, i was told this by a sprayer when doing my car, because when u compress the air it gets hot, like a turbo Razz, and is more than 100 degrees apparently and the water is gas and goes straight thru the trap, the further away the more the air has cooled so more water will be in the liquid form
g/l with the job mate Very Happy
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the air compressor bloke told me the same thing, but to me it doesn't really make any sense, as the air has already being compressed and is moving from 120PSI in the tank through the regulator to about.. 90PSI and that only cools the water vapor down... Just letting the air transfer heat to the surrounding area as well will cool the air down. according to my thermodynamics the only other thing past the tank that will heat up the air is friction, but the length of hose isn't really that long.... so the temperature from the tank would only be decreasing

water vapor at 120PSI and 100deg... steam tables anyone?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 12:49]

love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just letting the air transfer heat to the surrounding area as well will cool the air down. according to my thermodynamics the only other thing past the tank that will heat up the air is friction, but the length of hose isn't really that long.... so the temperature from the tank would only be decreasing

thats sorta wat i was gettin at, the cooler it is the more likely the water will be a liquid, i mean if water was a gas at 120 psi and wateva temperature we have in our compressor line the water trap would be pointless but ill tell u now that my water trap catches alota water on a humid day, so the further away the better rite,coz the air will have cooled off inside the line, escapin to the atmosphere so itll be cooler and thus more water as a liquid to trap. i duno, im probably wrong Cool
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Say the spray gun works at... 8 cfm... or 4 Litres per second, with air passing through a tube of roughly 8-9mm i think you find the air will be travelling at a rather high velocity, and that the temperature drop along the length or line would be negligable, which makes me think that there wont be any more water vapor condensing if the water trap was place a few metres away.

Your water trap catches more water on a humid day simply because there is just alot more moisture in the air.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corect, but i also found that it caught slightly more water when moved about 12 metres of hose away from the tank. its probably negligible tho. i just used the humid day example to show that the water is a liquid in the compressor hose. meh, g/l with the paint job, just thought id share what id heard, it cant hurt now can it Very Happy
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your right, it can't hurt.. thanks mate.

Just really wanted to know about the choice of gun tho

gravity fed hvlp or just a gravity fed gun...

Such a silly choice as nobody really seems to know which is better
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm sux when ppl dont have the answers you want, there was a car sprayer person who wrote something about orange peel, cant remember his name and hes not very active, ill try find his name and u can try and pm him, if not just ask a paint store, or panel beaters spray guy, maybe someone trying not to sell you somethin Wink
i sprayed mine with just a gravity fed i think, and it came up alright for a first job Smile
ill get back to u with that name
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Thu, 08 December 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the thread i was thinking of you have been a part of, am i stalking you Laughing
the dude was pedro2
pedros profile: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=usrinfo&a mp;id=12017&rid=12298&S=6964a1693bf9ad3058 01afd80ee64c7f

the thread he was in that you were in that i was in Laughing :http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg& th=69800&prevloaded=1&rid=12298&S=6964 a1693bf9ad305801afd80ee64c7f&rev=&reveal=& amp;start=40&count=40

give him a pm or email, see if you get any joy if not good luck mate, i think either would probably work alright.
catchya
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Fri, 09 December 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-itude wrote on Fri, 09 December 2005 00:42

your right, it can't hurt.. thanks mate.

Just really wanted to know about the choice of gun tho

gravity fed hvlp or just a gravity fed gun...

Such a silly choice as nobody really seems to know which is better

Well bassy pretty much summed it up for you, neither is better, it's just personal preference. HVLP can guarentee a certain amount of paint actually hits the panel, rather than ends up in the atmosphere. But you also have to be a pretty competent sprayer to match the figures they'll claim.

What do you want? If it's your first spray job, why spend $500+ on a gun?
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Fri, 09 December 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer i see what ur saying now. At the air tool shop, there was a pretty decent panel beaters hvlp gun in 1.4mm nozzle for $190 but that would probably be unsuitable to my application. The other gravity fed guns look around the $100 mark for a decent one. That looks like the go

Ive read pedro the painters posts previously. GOLD. I think i am satisfied with where i am going to go with this. Stay tuned for probably more silly questions regarding paint
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Sat, 10 December 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When getting advice for spraying the RA23, most panel beaters recommended the Gravity Feed for a first timer. I spent around $150 on mine, spraying with acryllic and a 1.8mm Nozzle. The metallic went on well, but as soon as the clearcoat went on, it looked frigging fantastic. Very glossy off the gun.

Make sure you have a good water trap, and make sure you get an adjustable pressure gauge for the bottom of your gun, so you can be 100% certain you are spraying at the correct pressure.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2005 09:51]

TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Spray Gun Advice - HVLP? Sun, 11 December 2005 13:04 Go to previous message
I've sprayed a few cars now. The best job I did was no my TA22 GT that you can see on my site.
I wrote a section on painting that might help.
http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/paint.htm

I always use acrylic and as you can see you can get excellent results. You need a minimum 8cfm compressor with moisture trap, I use a suction feed gun with 2mm tip and 275kpa pressure. Works great. Also you need to thin out the paint enough to get a good finish. I use around 30% paint and 70% thinners.
The gun I use for final coats is an Iwata W77 with 1 litre pot, had it for years and its a great gun.

Yes, 2Pac is easier to use and more durable etc. BUT unless you have a booth and all the gear forget about using it. Without the right safety gear its nasty stuff.

Hoep this helps,
Simon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Question about turbo 4AGZE.
Next Topic:jzx100 cd not reading
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:41:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063979625701904 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.