nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 06:37 Go to next message
Hello,

4AGE 16V head inlet 2 x 29.5mm, 2 x 25.5mm
4AGE 20V head 3 x 26.6mm, 2 x 26.0mm
4AGE 16V (custom) 2 x 32.0mm, 2 x 28.0mm

My application is a SC14'd supercharged 4AGZE running 18+ psi.

I am wondering what would work better, a 16v 4age with big valves or a 20V head. Obviously the 20V head is a lot cheaper and also it gets you slightly bigger exhaust, shim under lifters, and a big intake hole! I am thinking I could run conservative cams with bigger valves for better streetability.

Does anyone have any comparisons between big valve and standard 4AGEs and 20V 4AGE cylinder heads?

Cheers, Nick

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2005 07:44]

Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the supercharger bolted on, I doubt its going to make much difference what head you use. Especialy if it never revs above 7500rpm. Just be sensible, match port the manifolds and stuff, it will work. Power will come from different camshafts, and supercharger pulley.

Read the other 20v vrs 16v threads. People say its way easier to just use a whole 4A-GZE.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I expect the limited airflow of the SC14 will be your biggest restriction.
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: 20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Fair comments. I never rev above 7K really. With the 267°, 8mm cams I have, torque is very good from 3K to 6.5K and low end is still ok - probably better than an average 4AGE.

The supercharger does limit airflow in the sense that the air is 'metered' via it, since it is a positive displacement pump, but then it also guarantees a certain of air too. If I want more air per engine rev I just spin the SC harder. Taking this to extremes dragsters run more than 60 or 80psi - no one says 'dude you've got limitted airflow'.

I have used some engine simulation software and bigger valves show useful gains, and better high RPM torque with conservative camshafts. (I keep the low down torque too) I imagine bigger exhaust valves will be an advantage given the rather large amount of exhaust flow I have.

Cheers, Nick

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2005 12:01]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think what MRSHIN is getting at is not the limited airflow of a supercharger, but the limited airflow potentiol of toyota superchargers.

you can only boost a SC12/14 so far, then the rotors will get too hot and all the teflon will get scraped off.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2005 12:05]

nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: 20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,
Perhaps. I haven't had any issues with my SC14 @ 18psi yet.

I know of plenty of people who have though, they were using SC12 and ALL were spinning it faster than I am spinning my SC14. So I guess I'm thinking speed more than boost may be the thing that the SC is most sensitive to, but of course I need more speed for more boost....I have been investigating a new coating, INCASE mine fails, but unfortunately the Toyota coating is about 500 microns (0.5mm!) thick and most places can only apply 30 - 50 microns coatings of suitable material. I know this as I have disassembled my spare SC14...

Anyway I just helped hijack my own thread...big valves experience anyone? Wink

Cheers, Nick
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, speed is the casue FWIHH, as long as you dont spin it faster than a melted SC12, it should be fine, pretty sure the only real difference between the 12 and 14 is the rotors on the 14 are longer.

if you want more boost, twincharge it, just blow a turbo into the superhcarger, couldnt be easier!
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20V vs 4AGE 16V with big valves Wed, 07 December 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One other advantage of the 20v is the higher inlet ports which makes mounting the supercharger easier.

20v's have been proven to work very nicely in forced induction situations in the past, I'd be thinking that it would be the logical choice.
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Group A 4AGE cylinder head Thu, 08 December 2005 14:41 Go to previous message

Hello,
That is true. I saw on the internet, a twincharged 20V setup, using the standard SC12 bottom mount...grr...all my effort (and friends!) to mount the SC14 on funny angles...oh well....

On another note, what is the spec of a group A 4AGE cylinder head? I found somebody who is selling one. I'm not sure if the bigger valves (I dont know how big) and porting are wasted for me since it is apparently a small port head. Or are the valves the bigger restriction?

Maybe I should look at some bigger exh valves for my bigport head. I heard that 3SGE valves can be used. I have not investigated.

Cheers, Nick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age Overheating Query?!?!? Blown Head Gasket?!?!?
Next Topic:I am Working a 3sge Gen 1, What would u do?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:46:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004662036895752 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.