Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Windex
Regular

June 2005
3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 01:32 Go to next message
I had my 3SGE tuned a few days ago and after talking with the bloke who did the tuning he suspected it wasnt breathing too well, its peak power was at around 5500, then after that it dropped off. Its not fuel pressure he says I have heaps up there. I am assuming it is my exhaust or intake. It is in a TA23 with the stock(I assume) intake manifold. I am not sure of the quality of the primaries but that will be looked at this weekend. Any other ideas? It got about 80kw atw. and is running a wolf 3d.

What can these babies rev to safely? I am assuming that somewhere around 7500-8000 mark.

PS Its a Gen 2

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 01:33]

Send a private message to this user    
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How were your A/F ratios?I have a gen1 and when i stuck it on the rollers i found it was running way way way rich - Stock ECU, but still hella rich. Also hows your intake? Make sure it is getting as much cold air as possible. What are the exhaust headers/extractors and rest of the exhaust(cats?) like?

thats me for ideas....
hope it helps

PS: i made 78.6 fwkw that day with extractors, and timing advanced. 80kw is pretty decent for RWD considering drivetrain loss etc. I made peak power at about 5500-5600 so it seems about right. Keep us posted

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 06:35]

Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont know the specs of most of the exhaust system, I hope to rip off the heat shield and have a look. I dont think it is getting much cold air though :S I will update this on the weekend. I assume the ratios are pretty good seing as it was tuned two days ago, and they said they mad it a little leaner than normal.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the stock 3sge in a st162 will rev to 7250 stock (thats hittin the limiter Very Happy)
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Gen 2 3S-GE with a HKS filter in the standard airbox, unknown 4-2-1 extractors put down 94.1RWKW a few dyno days ago, should rev happily to 6500-7000RPM, I never really pushed mine any further but it should go there OK.

Here's my dyno chart if it's any help...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~warrenh/MR2/dyno_chart_web.jpg
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm, its interesting to see yours, mine has had its TVIS disabled and has a much more peaky power curve which then drops off rapidly. It has a pod filter that is exposed to enginebay heat, which could be a factor, but I wouldent have thought that it would cause that drop off, the tuner said it seemed to be lacking in breathing but he left the tuning as was up there incase I changed some things which allowed it to breath better. It was also noted that my idle air valve was playing up.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/2029/IMG_2147.JPG

[Updated on: Tue, 22 November 2005 01:16]

Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, I was trying to take the heat shield off the exhaust today, damn that thing is on tight, does it really do anything? Are there any rwd extractors out there for the 3sge or is it going to be a custom job? as far as I can see with the shield still on the primaries are very short, only two pipes emerging from the heat shield.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The heat shield is a bugger to get off, and I've never removed it Razz You don't need to get at the oil filter, you can just fit your hand around it.

As to the extractors, were already on my car when I bought it so I can't give you any info there. I've not heard of any extractors for the RWD config of the 3S-GE, but there should be as it's a pretty common engine.

Original exhaust is quite restrictive, primary's are very short, and the mods previous owner of my car made seemed to make quite a different from stock power levels, that said the Gen 3 sh*ts all over our Gen 2's putting out abuot 105RWKW stock...
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 29 September 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I keep forgetting yours is in a TA23, not a SW0 Confused
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Fri, 30 September 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I got my filter off last night, was fine, just want to get a better look at the extractors. I am pretty sure that my idle air valve is buggered, it doesnt close properly. eg when the engine is hot I pinch the hose and the car stalls, afaik it should do that when cold but not warm, anyway a few more mods before going back to the tuners. CAI of some sort, get the exhaust looked at and replace the IAC valve with one of a rb30 or falcon. Maybe even look into quad throttles depending on expected cost, would be nice to get going.
Any input fellas?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Fri, 30 September 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
idle air contorl will stall car if you pinch it anytime the tb butterfly is closed.
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Sat, 01 October 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gen 2 3sge never had tvis?

Also have you checked the basics like air filter isn't clogged or your cat isn't clogged?
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 21 November 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am beginning to think that the cat or muffler is blocked, is there an easy way to check this? The reason I think it may be blocked is that I have replaced the gaskets between the primaries and secondaries and sealed it up real good, and now the join between the cat and the secondaries has gone. I thought it might be a bit unusual for both seals to go in such quick succession, any thoughts?
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 21 November 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be a bloked cat or muffler, you need to pull them off to check, as for rwd pipes for a 3sge i doubt it, if you do need a set of pipes hand fabricated feel free to give me a call as i do this sort of stuff for a living, and can be made to whatever specs you want.
Trav
0418 552 413
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 22 November 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome, sounds good, because as you can guess rwd 3sge manifolds dont really grow on trees and there are some pretty nasty clearance issues. I will check the muffler and cat and once I come into some more funds I will give you a call.

Anything I should be looking for, I have never looked at a cat or muffler before.
TRAV-KE55
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 22 November 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you pull the cat off you need to check the biscut inside for melted over honeychombs, broken up etc, should all look clean and undamaged in anyway. as for the muffler if its straight through or centre-offset straight through you can generally see through them, if it is a baffeled muffler (triple flow etc etc) belt it with your hand and listen for loose baffels, generally if it rattles its on its way out.
Trav

Ps: I have a 3SGE rwd manafold tree in the backyard, due to start fruiting soon!!!! He he
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 22 November 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I can tell my exhaust also has no flex pipe! I think this might be a bit of a factor in this. The cat is more or less stuck to a long length of pipe so I will need to get me a nice light source to check it out. I am not sure what type of muffler it is but it doesnt rattle. Smile Leading me to believe that it might be the cat that is fucked.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Wed, 23 November 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just looked into the cat as good as I could, I will get a pic up, but I think it is a bit on the fucked side. Sad Need to get me a new one.

EDIT: It looks a bit clogged, and it(the thing inside the cat) seems to move freely from side to side, I have heard the odd rattle come from it at certain times when idling, could this also point to cat destruction?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2005 06:31]

pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: 3SGE breathing problems Wed, 23 November 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a thought.. If you disable the ACIS system in its closed position (just plugging the hose), the curves will look something like yours.
Opening the ACIS butterflys definately improves the breathing in the >5000rpm area.

How did you disable it, and more important WHY?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2005 14:26]

Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Wed, 23 November 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didnt do that work, it was performed by the previous owner, how can I tell how it was blocked up? This will all go if I ever managed to get towards one of my dreams... quads.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Sun, 27 November 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pugho wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 01:22

Just a thought.. If you disable the ACIS system in its closed position (just plugging the hose), the curves will look something like yours.
Opening the ACIS butterflys definately improves the breathing in the >5000rpm area.

How did you disable it, and more important WHY?

I think I have found where it is blocked up(and it is blocked up) what should this tiny little port be hooked up to?
pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: 3SGE breathing problems Sun, 27 November 2005 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the diaphragm is supposed to be hooked up to a vacuum switching valve, which is hooked up to a reservoire tank, which is connected to one of the three ports on the manifold.. Razz
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 28 November 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a pic dude? that would probably be easiest, I have about 3 maybe four ports which are blocked up... three on one side of the manifold and one on the other.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2005 02:19]

pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 29 November 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something like this?
http://pugho.teamymse.net/bilder/diverse/hoses.jpg
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 29 November 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome, where did you get that from, do you have the whole doco?
F|sh
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 29 November 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a complete PDF file of a 3sgte manual. if your interested windex
pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 29 November 2005 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Download the two toyota EPC disc images near the bottom of this list: http://www.yankeetoys.org/Docs.htm
Then read the FAQ and install the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog). It's an old version of the software that the toyota dealers use.
It has been very helpful to me sometimes. Smile
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 01 December 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sick thanks for that, it sounds like you may have done some experimenting with the setup of ACIS, have you? If so wanna post up what you have found. I am running aftermarket management so that may be the reason it has been blocked up. I think I could rig up a system of some sort that bases the opening of a valve on load percentage of the engine. We'll see, havent had a chance to pull it all apart yet and have a good squiz, anyone ever delt with this?

EDIT: Anyone got a big pic of a stock setup?

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2005 04:33]

Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 01 December 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I now think the cat maybe blocked, due to blowing the same gasket in less than 3 hours driving time... would the cat just get more and more blocked as time went by?

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2005 22:55]

pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 01 December 2005 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope... never got as far as modifying the setup before I sold the car... But as soon as my SE82 is on the road I will get right on it.
To find the right opening rpm, you really just need to do two dyno runs. One with ACIS fully open all the time and one with it closed. Then compare the torque curves and find the rpm where the curves meet.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Thu, 01 December 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am assuming I could simplify it somewhat on Toyotas design, just a valve(controled by RPM) that is hooked up between the port on the intake and a vacume line.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 05 December 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have some pics of the intake which I will post up once the server I use comes back up. If anyone has an idea on what it should look like please post that idea.

Cheers
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 05 December 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry out of topic, but would your car be a Whitelightning 3SGE gen2 with a Gen1 Manafold and a SSV Bodykit and 17" rims?
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 05 December 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance_22 wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 17:14

Sorry out of topic, but would your car be a Whitelightning 3SGE gen2 with a Gen1 Manafold and a SSV Bodykit and 17" rims?

Who me? I have a TA23
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 05 December 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh thx, i thought you had a St162 cause it was me old car Very Happy it had a Gen2 engine but a gen1 manafold, and i had the same problem you are having.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Mon, 05 December 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they will rev ok to 8000 rpm but dont go any further ,the trouble with the wolf conversion cause the guy that did it was 1 of the wolf founders is the inlet is shit you need quads to get some power out of these also the extractors are 2 small you will need either 1 3/4 or 1/7/8 '' for you primaries
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Tue, 06 December 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes trying to go large as possible with the extractors, but space is very damn tight, will keep you all posted on how it goes.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE breathing problems Fri, 09 December 2005 00:34 Go to previous message
Well, it seems to be all good, the car is breathing well and sounds nicer too, the exhaust shop said that I might have a chunk on cat in my muffler so I will be checking that puppy out sometime soon, through this I have also discovered that I dont have AVIS at all, its been hacked off(thanks for all the help pugho). So down the track I think I will attempt to get some 20v quads happening to solve the intake side of things.

Cheers for all the help dudes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MS112 Tow Bar? What others are compatible
Next Topic:CAI/RAI on 7AFE - what happens in the rain?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:35:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078170299530029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.