Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DamMR2T
Occasional Poster

August 2003
MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Sat, 03 December 2005 11:58 Go to next message
Just finished my Gen3 Conversion, but when i try start the car it starts but cuts out straight away(can't even rev it).

I checked for error codes and have an error code 14, which is:

No IGF signal to ECU 8 - 11 times in succession.
*Igniter and ignition coil circuit
*Igniter and ignition coil
*ECU

If you have an error code 14, should the car still idle,or does the ecu stop the engine? I need to know this to work out if i have one problem or two.

What are the things i should check for eror code 14? I will swap my igniter and see if that works, but other than that i'm not sure.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 04:53]

Send a private message to this user    
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Sat, 03 December 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what loom did u run

the original one or the one that matches the new engine

does the loom match the ecu or did u mix and match

i have had this prob before on a gze
DamMR2T
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Sat, 03 December 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are 2 looms:
1. One that connects to the engine(injectors etc) and the 2 plugs to the ECU.
2. One that goes to the left hand side kick panel in the cabin and 1 plug to the ECU.

I used the engine loom that came with the Gen3, and the loom already in my car that goes to the kick panel(as the one that came with my engine was cut).
Therefore i have mixed and matched.

I know my previous engine was running without a fuel pump relay(must have been wired to 12v or something), whereas the Gen3 had the wiring for the fuel pump relay.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Sun, 04 December 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the fuel pump trigger is different on alot of 3sg engines

i think theres like 4 diff spots it can be depending if its

a st185 st205 non turbo turbo etc

but code 14 is something to do with ignitor

i did an mr2 yesterday

theyre easy to do but there are some tricks to getting the

a/c idle up working

if it has electronic power steering u need to do somehting

if it has abs and traction control u need to do something
DamMR2T
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Sun, 04 December 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swapped my ignotor and coil, and still came up with code 14. Tested my fuel pump, that is pumping fuel as i can hear the pump.

Can anyone tell me if a code 14 should stop your car from starting at all(my car won't even idle)?

Only thing i can do now is ECU wiring. I will try work out if IGF signal is not getting to the ECU as stated in the Error code. Hopefully it is as easy as matching up the 2 wiring looms, otherwise i'm stuck again.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 05:05]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Sun, 04 December 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The way you wired it up, if you used all the electronics from the gen3, you should be OK. You did use the coil/ignitor/ECU off of the gen3?

As you can in the image below, the 'A' connector (the one on the right), which is your body loom, hasn't changed at all. So as long as you have the gen3 computer, the two plugs from the engine loom should be right at home.

edit: I meant right, but typed left

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/gen3stuff/gen3wiringdiagrams/3sgte-ecu-pin-by-coyotemr2.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2005 22:26]

DamMR2T
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Tue, 06 December 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well i worked out that there was an IGF signal, so that would mean the error code was wrong. From there i started matcing back each individual wire in the fuse box in the engine compartment, as these are the only ones that would have changed.

Thought i'd start with the smallest connector first (known as EB1 and has 8 poosible wire positions, see BGB)

I noticed that in my Gen2 a Blue female wire connected to a blue/black male wire in position 8. But now i had a blue female wire in postion 6 connecting to nothing, and the same blue/black male wire in position 8(as this harness wasn't changed).

As i knew the blue/black wires had something to do with the fuel pump relay, i moved the male blue/black wire to position 6 and started the car.

Hey presto!!! Car idled fine, checked for error codes and had none. Not sure what the wire was exactly for, but it works fine now.

Hope i haven't confused anyone, and this information is helpful.

davedave,
Thanks for the pin Harness, i WAS looking for the Gen comparisons, and this is a great reference.
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: MR2 Gen3 conversion, error code 14 Sun, 11 December 2005 02:47 Go to previous message
I've had similar problems with toyotas before, most often it was because the old motor had an air flow metre with the wiring for the fuel pump/circuit opening relay running through a set of contacts in the AFM.
I think your gen 3 is map sensed and doesn't have these contacts.
The circuit opening relay has 2 coils one for when the car is running (through AFM or from gen3 ecu) and another from the starter circuit to turn on the fuel pump on while starting.
So your fuel pump would only run while you were cranking the engine.
Something to keep in mind for anyone installing an aftermarket ecu as well.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:topping up trolley jack oil
Next Topic:Just bought an RA65
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:52:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048890113830566 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.