Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

icon9.gif  How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 06:39 Go to next message
hi guys,

Just bought my 162 a day ago, tried to get the air con regased today, and aparently theres a big leak in the system. The mechanic told me that i'll have to leave the car there to have it checked out. The price is not known yet as they dont know what work is needed.... but they assured me that it will cost me at least 1,500 just to have it checked out.

I'm in sydney, and i dont mind travellin a bit on the weekends to find somewhere/someone who can do it for a cheaper price.

Any ideas guys?
  Send a private message to this user    
leso
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Seriously...look for a new mechanic..$1500 to have it checked out !!!!!! WTF Shocked

cheers les
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the leak is at a connector, you just need a new o ring, and gas. The o rings are special green ones, not normal rubber. A very big leak will show itself when trying to gass up. Otherwise a yellow dye is put in the gas, and any leak can be more easily seen, especialy with a ultra-violet light. If a component is leaking, like the compressor, then that costs more obvioulsy.
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should give your mechanic the sack.

Thats a fucken rip off mechanic.

Come to my work and i will find the leak in 2 minutes if its a big leak.And i wont charge you.

Im in Newcastle and work in Raymond Terrace.

Bit of a drive but i can asure you it wont cost $1500 to drive up to Raymond Terrace.

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're da man bro! i thought checking the leak aint gonna cost me 1500. I'll source around for more of these guys, and your offer for help is greatly appreciated! Surprised i might have to bother you if i cant find a mechanic that charges a resonable price.

Cheers,
Chopin
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny2TG wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 19:09

If the leak is at a connector, you just need a new o ring, and gas. The o rings are special green ones, not normal rubber. A very big leak will show itself when trying to gass up. Otherwise a yellow dye is put in the gas, and any leak can be more easily seen, especialy with a ultra-violet light. If a component is leaking, like the compressor, then that costs more obvioulsy.

Thanks for that too bro, i'll give that a shot tmr! great idea Very Happy
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You getting ripped big time, get a second opinion!
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Wed, 07 December 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Big Willie,

Can beleive TOYMODS approved your avtar!

Shocked
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Thu, 08 December 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mic* wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 10:08

Big Willie,

Cant beleive TOYMODS approved your avtar!

lol id never thought of it before but yeah...who'd u sleep with to pull that off? lol

and alliance_22 when i got my aircon regassed they checked it for leaks, included in price, what does this dudes 1500 involve? is it search fix regass and gold plate? thats a crazy amount Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 12:26]

cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Thu, 08 December 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats cool man.Theres alot of stupid prices out there.

Let me know how you went.

BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Thu, 08 December 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to go offtopic, i dont see a problem, anyway i will change it when i get a toyota! Laughing
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Thu, 08 December 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
almost every leak will be wet from the comp. oil & very noticeable.
I've never had a really small & very slow one, but was told that they don't oil up because they are too small for the oil, but big enough for the gas to escape.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Sun, 11 December 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

almost every leak will be wet from the comp. oil & very noticeable.
I've never had a really small & very slow one, but was told that they don't oil up because they are too small for the oil, but big enough for the gas to escape.

What!! Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 11 December 2005 03:40]

Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Sun, 11 December 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's not to far for you go to Johno's Auto Electrical Services
unit 4
39-41 Marigold st
Revesby
02 9772 2231
mob 0412 646 150
speak to Darren.
tell him Ray in the Hi-ace told you to come in.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 December 2005 04:07]

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How to check for leaks - Air Conditioning Sun, 11 December 2005 10:26 Go to previous message
Cheers,

Thanks guys, heading there tomorrow Smiley = Luckily these few days have been relatively cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:jzx100 castor bushes
Next Topic:Metal Fabrication Shop In Sydney
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:34:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063071250915527 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.