Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ??????????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 25 October 2004 02:12 Go to next message
Credit for this should go to Ed (alias Ed-MA61) as it was from his web page and numerous emails that convinced me it was possible.

Basically, as part of my brake upgrade, I needed to get some more clearance between the disc and the LCA and ball joint. The RA60 strut has a different stub inclination angle (more neg camber) but all else is the same.

The conversuion was duly done ($11 per strut tube from the local pick-a-part wrecker) and the hubs etc were swapped over.

I managed to finally put the car on all 4 wheels last night and did a VERY ROUGH measurement on the camber, and it turns out to be about 2.1 degrees negative. Now I'll lose some of that when I put in King Std height springs instead of lows. But it is the cheapest way of getting Neg camber.

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/1572/2004-10-24275.jpg

Please note that the RA60 upper spring perch is no good, you must use the MA61 part, and the shockers fit, but may need a washer or two in the bottom to make up for the difference in the length of the shocker.

Cheers Ed !! Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 25 October 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This should work for those that want to keep 4 stud as well !!!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Wed, 27 October 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad to have this confirmed. I have MA61 front end in my RA28 and picked up a pair of RA60 struts for the job. At the moment, I have pretty much neutral camber with some camber nuts in the crossmember at max deflection. The RA60 struts should allow me to get a little negative with an unmodified crossmember.

Oh and by the way, the MA61 lower control arms are slightly longer than the RA60 ones. Accounts for about 0.1-0.2 degrees camber change.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Wed, 27 October 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very interesting!

so would ra 60 struts and ma61 LCA's result with a useable combination?

because i was under the impression that ma61 struts would result in too much pos camber (ala norbies article).

gold28 what are camber nuts? something that lowers the crossmember slightly or something?

thanks

Daniel

edit: do ma61 lca's even fit onto the ra23/8?

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2004 11:13]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Wed, 27 October 2004 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear Gold28. When I get it wheel aligned, I'll get better numbers.

When Norbs does his brake upgrade, he is using MX83 front struts which are completely different, and I think there will be camber issues for sure. Only time will tell !!!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Wed, 27 October 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 06:57

When Norbs does his brake upgrade, he is using MX83 front struts which are completely different, and I think there will be camber issues for sure. Only time will tell !!!

The boys are referring to the brake upgrade norbs did on his ra23 Smile

Its on his website, under project 'orange eyesore' I think Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Wed, 27 October 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 09:24

bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 06:57

The boys are referring to the brake upgrade norbs did on his ra23 Smile

Its on his website, under project 'orange eyesore' I think Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

Oh. OK then !!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Thu, 28 October 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
munki wrote on Wed, 27 October 2004 21:12

very interesting!

so would ra 60 struts and ma61 LCA's result with a useable combination?

because i was under the impression that ma61 struts would result in too much pos camber (ala norbies article).

I hope so cos thats what i'm planning. I currently have MA61 struts and RA60 control arms. They bolt up fine but I am battling to get neutral camber. The RA60 struts are going in with some reco'd MA61 control arms when I get around to putting in another crossmember.

Quote:

gold28 what are camber nuts? something that lowers the crossmember slightly or something?

Camber nuts are when the holes in the crossmember are elongated and eccentric nuts are fitted. It effectively allows you to adjust the hole location in the crossmember and push the control arm out further.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Thu, 28 October 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oooh, I might play with this and see what goes on Wink

Cheers bbaacchhyy!!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Thu, 28 October 2004 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 28 October 2004 20:14

Oooh, I might play with this and see what goes on Wink

Cheers bbaacchhyy!!

No problems, but as mentioned earlier, Ed_MA61 is the real instigator !!!
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Thu, 08 December 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi There,

Im looking to use this trick on my cressida, now, ahs anyone measured the angles between stub axle and strut tube, I roughly got around 10degs (well that was between strut tube and caliper mount bracket which is perpindicular to the stub axle) for ra63 struts. Next to measure is the cressida struts when they are out.

Cheersd
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Sun, 11 December 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woah this is old Smile Let me just say that I have since done this mod and it rocks. It's rare for me to find a corner that will induce understeer now (except for a few on a road that has been redone recently in the hills, tight hairpin downhill, smooth surface, and it just understeers like buggery).

Maybe I need to adopt some crazy rally technique to get around it. I hate understeer Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Sun, 11 December 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SRacin wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 13:09

Hi There,

Im looking to use this trick on my cressida, now, ahs anyone measured the angles between stub axle and strut tube, I roughly got around 10degs (well that was between strut tube and caliper mount bracket which is perpindicular to the stub axle) for ra63 struts. Next to measure is the cressida struts when they are out.

Cheersd

What model Cressida?
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Sun, 11 December 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Wed, 27 October 2004 20:18

Glad to have this confirmed. I have MA61 front end in my RA28 and picked up a pair of RA60 struts for the job. At the moment, I have pretty much neutral camber with some camber nuts in the crossmember at max deflection. The RA60 struts should allow me to get a little negative with an unmodified crossmember.

Oh and by the way, the MA61 lower control arms are slightly longer than the RA60 ones. Accounts for about 0.1-0.2 degrees camber change.

Gold28: If you are reading this can you please fill me in on what you have done? i am doing a search through all your old posts for information on this upgrade (i would be looking to do this to an ra40, it solves my brake and steering issues in one hit if this is indeed possible) but you seem to make a lot of posts so it is taking a while. Smile

ps. sorry to hijack
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Sun, 11 December 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm camber nuts, you talking about concentric bolts? Can you give me an idea on how to aquire some of these for my 28? Sizes ect...
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Sun, 11 December 2005 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry mate,I never got around to putting in the RA60 Struts, so I cannot really confirm it for you. I sold the car a while back to screamingrolla. He tells me that he did try the RA60 struts and if anything they made the camber worse which leads me to believe that either I already had RA60 struts in it or that the MA61 struts had been modified.

My advice for an RA40 would be to use the corona/pug/hilux conversion. It works really well and does not seem to adversely affect the steering geometry.

oh and camber nuts are nuts with off-center washers welded on them. This moves the inner control arm bolts in an elongated hole. Talk to a suspension shop about them
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 12 December 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 11 December 2005 23:40

SRacin wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 13:09

Hi There,

Cheersd

What model Cressida?

mx73
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 12 December 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I could tell MX73 struts were identical to MA61 struts, if not a minute degree more -ve camber (like -0.1deg).

So the RA60 struts should do the same for the MX73 as they did for the MA61.
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 12 December 2005 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers thanks for that,
Going to get some top hats as well while im at it and a coilover kit, etc etc so on and so forth.
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 12 December 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought id share my experience with you guys. I have an RA23 with Nissan Pintara control arms....gave me heaps of neg camber!!!! Simply pulled the arms of each of the cars, swapped the ra23 ball joint thing into pintara arm (very minor bench grinding) bolted the "new" arm back up and GOODBYE UNDERSTEER! Simple as that...if pintara arms dont fit your car taker your arm to the wreckers and just go from car to car and grab one that has the same angles but is longer!

HAVE FUN!!!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 12 December 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
query: what part of the control arm did you grind? up near the bush or at the bll joint?

oh, and what was final camber angle?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Want some cheap neg camber on a MA61 ?????????? Mon, 12 December 2005 23:11 Go to previous message
SRacin wrote on Tue, 13 December 2005 03:50

Cheers thanks for that,
Going to get some top hats as well while im at it and a coilover kit, etc etc so on and so forth.

What camber tops you thinking of getting?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:soarer speedo wiring
Next Topic:2nd. gen. 3SGTE /1ZZ-FE shimless conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:47:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052351951599121 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.