Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sat, 10 December 2005 07:23 Go to next message
Just wonderin as a general rule what a insurance company would say to a Super itc Ignition computer..
I'm also a bit concerned in relation to Engineering and legalities towards these units?

I saw on just car as an "OPTION" it said "aftermarket computer", if it couldn't be done they would mention it..

Thanks for this

Adrian
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sat, 10 December 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in theory not legal, then again most insurance companies are scumbag thieves who'd do anything to get out of their obligations to pay out a claim. Make the ECU easy to remove/change?

Transplanted engines should performs to, or better, the factory emissions of the chassis (or is that engine?) that it's bolted into. If the ignition ECU simply improves the spark then it's not going to affect emissions values greatly, but if it alters the timing curve you could end up with out-of-range emissions.

In theory, you shouldn't be able to alter the tuning of the engine as that may affect its ability to operate within its original emissions specifications.

Having said that, if i were to put any kind of EFI engine with spark control (tunable or not) into my humble RA40 it will do better than the turd-box-18RC - emissions and peformance-wise.

Adherence to a policy of non-tunable-efi/ecu depends largely on your:
-state transport regulations
-engineer
-inspection officer (for rwc, blue-slip?, regency etc)
-side of bed the RTA/police-person/transport-barstard got out of that day?

(edited 'cause i read the title again)

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2005 12:46]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sat, 10 December 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in short very hard i belive the ecu must also be loackable so that once the map is set and it passes emissions thats it aparantly.
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sun, 11 December 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Things like unichip are great in this regard as you arnt actually going full stand alone as they are legal. It depends on how much money or what functions you need. Things like piggybacks like the unichip and e-manage can avoide legality issues, and hassles dealing with insurance companies.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sun, 11 December 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big Rob wrote on Sun, 11 December 2005 21:47

Things like unichip are great in this regard as you arnt actually going full stand alone as they are legal. It depends on how much money or what functions you need. Things like piggybacks like the unichip and e-manage can avoide legality issues, and hassles dealing with insurance companies.

how exactly are they more legal than a stand alone ems they do exactly the same thing
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sun, 11 December 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is to do with the fact that they keep factory maps and use the oxy sensor to keep combustions pretty much complete when not on WOT. But then again i am guessing, i just have seen UniCHip as advertised as fully legal. Thats really the only point i wanted to get across. That for some reason these are legal and it might suit your the application rather than full stand alone as you said "they do exactly the same thing" pretty much.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sun, 11 December 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they still can alter fuel and iginition maps which is what effects emissions i would have thought
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sun, 11 December 2005 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know for a fact that the apexi SAFC is illegal strictly speaking
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Legalities towards aftermarket ignition computers? Sun, 11 December 2005 22:23 Go to previous message
Well maybe UniChip actually does a whole emissions test but i dont know. I just thought it would have been the closed loop thing. Ohwell, i guess the question has been answered and generally it is illegal without the proper paper.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:LSD in JZA70
Next Topic:Classic Jap car pics`
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:45:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050179958343506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.