Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes » EOI:big brakes for early rolla

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rotorace
Regular

August 2003
EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 01 June 2005 03:07 Go to next message
Hi all, my mate works in a machining shop and he has made some caliper brackets to suit commodore calipers and mitsi magna rotors on standard ke struts.

these have been test fitted to my ke20 with no probs.
another friend of a friend actually uses these brakes with great success on a 4agte ke15.

the rotors used are early magna 266mm rotors (cheap to buy)
and the brakes can be fitted under 14" rims.

anyway, work is quiet, so he asked me to check if there would be enough interest in these for him to knock up a few sets of brackets.

they are done by CNC and are made from high grade 4130 steel.
He would be asking $100 for a pair of brackets.
Let me know if you're interested...
  Send a private message to this user    
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 01 June 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds interesting Smile

any pics? of brackets and all set up?

did you have to boost the brakes to make them work properly? or they pull up alright with non-boosted brakes?

86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 01 June 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these wont fit an ae86 will they?
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 01 June 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ace i may be very interested.
can i get some pix tho?
what stud pattern are the magna discs? that these are made 2 suit?

cheers scott
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 01 June 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interested also, photos?

More info as already asked by others such as

Boosted or unboosted performance?
Change to Magna stud pattern? (which is 5 stud ford??)

Sounds good !

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 11:32]

NickZ
Regular

February 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 01 June 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt it be early magna (first magna produced 1984 ish), they are 4x114.3 stud pattern.
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Thu, 02 June 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the disc bolt on to the ke20 hub, or do you use a custom hub, or somehow the magna hub? Cheers Sean
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Thu, 02 June 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a ke20, but alas ta22 brakes Smile If a kit comes up for ta22, i'd be interested Smile
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Thu, 02 June 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NickZ wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 23:04

wouldnt it be early magna (first magna produced 1984 ish), they are 4x114.3 stud pattern.

Sounding even better!
rotorace
Regular

August 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Thu, 02 June 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, im crap with computers, i may get him to post up pics.

The magna rotors (yes, early four stud type)dba part no. 221 are fitted disc over hub style by simply machining a small amount off of the outside diameter of the factory corolla hub.

They can be ordered blank to be drilled to whatever stud pattern you want, but otherwise they will be 114.3x4, as the magna is also disc over hub.

I spoke to him today, they may not be 4130 steel, but something high quality will definately be used.

I will not be using a booster on my car, the ke15 mentioned doesn't either, but you can if you wish.

You may need to have a slightly larger master cylinder fitted, or have the factory type sleeved and over bored, but i havent got to the stage of sorting out bias, etc. this woould also depend on the rear brakes fitted.

At this stage im just gauging interest, he would like to make 10 sets approx. and i say there may be enough interest.

When he is serious about beginning production i will make sure pics and all info is available for all of you, but as i said he just wants to see if it's worth his while. I can assure you his work is top notch.

Any adelaide boys should be able to get in touch with us and check out the brackets or hopefully the brake setup fitted up to my ke20.

cheers
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Thu, 02 June 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the specs on the rotors? (Vented?) And the calipers - twin pot, single..?

What model commodore exactly? Stock lines bolt up? Etc etc..

It just occurred to me that i do have a spare car that i can grab stock struts etc from if i want to switch back... Unsure if this is a wise move though.. Food for thought.

Pending a bit of research, i'm keen. Given i'm interstate, i would be keen to see a pic of the complete setup first.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Sat, 04 June 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am genuinely interested, and have $100 right now

however i would like pictures and to know what commodore the calipers come off, and what bolt spacing the calipers are
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Sat, 04 June 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some more info on how it all bolts up would be good Smile
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Tue, 07 June 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still keen.

http://www.dba.com.au/dba_catalogue_2004/HTML/pdf/ Out/Mitsubishi.pdf

Just the page with the DBA catalogue. Magna in question seems to be 85-91, matching the DBA 221 part number. Available cross drilled and slotted.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 08 June 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super Jamie wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 10:13

i am genuinely interested, and have $100 right now

however i would like pictures and to know what commodore the calipers come off, and what bolt spacing the calipers are

I'm PRETTY sure that all Commodore calipers are the same bolt pattern. I had VL turbo calipers (ribbed) on my VH, and have seen the same ones fitted to VR's. I'd say that the current shape (VT->) are different though...
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 08 June 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are they twin or single piston items?
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 10 June 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still keen as well!

Whenever these are done, let me know Smile
1200_Ute
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 13 June 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would this suite my familia ute as mine came with 4wheel drums??
Now i got a shortened borg warner with drums on the back out off an xd falcon so i need disks for the front.
Did the ke15,20 came with 4w drums??
If so , whats another good upgrade for the front??
I ve got a 13bt in it and i need something to stop, any sugestions?
1973_KE20
Regular

April 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Tue, 14 June 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im interested and yes i would buy some, let me know if some are made up
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Tue, 14 June 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats happenin with these suckers ace ?

cheers scott
rotorace
Regular

August 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 15 June 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought i made a post here yesterday, sorry to anyone that has a random post in their thread Laughing

there hasn't been anymore progress with the long weekend and we've both been busy, i've been finishing off my daily etc.

I was just seeing if there was interest, i have passed the info on to him. It's then in his hands when he makes them and if he provides pics etc.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Thu, 23 June 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any updates?
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 15 July 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another bump
AEHachiRoku
Regular

November 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 18 July 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im very interested. What commodore capilers do they suit??? VN,VR,VT????
dori_86
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 18 July 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey im extremely interested if this will be able to fit an ae86 as im looking to upgrade my brakes. is there any possiblity of him being able to manufacture a rear disc end for me??
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 20 July 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dori 86 dood this thread sez big brakes for early rolla

i.e ke20-25
not ae86 if they would fit an ae86 then thread name wod be big brakes for ae86.

not havin a go fella but just use a lil common sence.

cheers scott

ace im gna need these suckers for the front of SLO020
MRMOPARMAN
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 20 July 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be interested in this also..
ROTAROLA
Regular

April 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Sun, 24 July 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i would like some too.

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Thu, 15 September 2005 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can we get a template so we can make our own if your not going ahead with production.

i can deposit asap.

are the magna rotors vented?

what model commodre calipers? are they girlock?
jrs_ke11
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 16 September 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd be very interested in this. im guess the brakes would be from the VS.
DA1NONLY
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 21 September 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jus wonderring if they would fit a ke71
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 21 September 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No such car Laughing
DA1NONLY
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 21 September 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to bad i have one! it says ke71 on the id tags in the engine bay its a import, a jdm
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 21 September 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edit: off topic

ke71 are those 2door ke70's? might as well get sprinter brakes and diff, or go all the way and get a t18 rear end with ra60 front struts

for ke70's or ae71's anyways, hard to find brake upgrades for older ke's

bump

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 13:00]

scubba
Regular

May 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 26 September 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyhting happening with these brakes??? can ppl who want these brakes for there ke corolla the early versions of ke corollas that is post say that would like sum as im interested in these and if there r enuff of us then the guy mite go throw with the plan cheers
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 30 September 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Guys

interested in the brakets

would be very interested to know what commodore claipers would be used.

ive tried to do a quick search and only found the VR -VS to be suitable

please correct me if im wrong

cheers

ian
rke_011
Regular

May 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 30 September 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MATE!! ive been waiting for this moment for a long time..

if your serious and its still possible to get a set pm me back.
im in n.e adelaide and would get them asap!!

maybe it would help stop my rota rolla instead of 4 wheel drums Smile
paharris
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Tue, 04 October 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guday to all!
Why didn't I find this forum sooner!!!
I have JUST finished fitting new brakes to my KE20 - what an effort!
I ended up using some rotors and calipers from a niss'n Gazzelle (250mm vented), single pot. I made some spacers between hub and rotors and welded up some brackets to hold the calipers. It is a fiddly job - accuracy is EVERYTHING. The "original" setup included a VH44 remote booster and was OK for a couple of stops, but disks that glow are not cool (get it...)
Something to note is to keep the un-sprung mass low, helps keep the wheels on the ground....
Soon the beast will be back on the road, after 10 years gathering dust. If anyone wants to discuss any other mods, i'll be happy to..
1. 4K motor, lowwww compression
2. T25 roller turbo
3. intercooler (peaks at 30lbs)
4. fuel injected (made the manifolds and designed the injection myself!!!)-lots of work here.
5. Tarago diff
6. Celica 5 spd box

Should get about 230+hp this time 'round. I guess I find out soon.
Cobzzz
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 07 October 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys

Anyone have a clue about the commodore calipers....

will try the VR-VS calipers soon but dont want to waste time if someone has any idea on which is preferred.

If anyone else has any big brake options that can be adapted to KE struts and have actually done it before then lets share
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Sat, 08 October 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've establish theres a big market for it, why doesn't someone come and capitalise on all this interest, and sell some kits!
rke_011
Regular

May 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Wed, 09 November 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

We've establish theres a big market for it, why doesn't someone come and capitalise on all this interest, and sell some kits!

i totally agree, if anyone could get the measurements of the backing plate needed for the conversion i could try talking to my boss...

but he wouldnt waste time experimenting.

C'mon i wish the guy would get back to me!! i NEED brakeeeees
rotorace
Regular

August 2003
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 05 December 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To all that expressed interest, thanks.
It was only EOI, the information has been passed on to my friend and it will be up to him to decide what to do from here.
I realize there is a lot of interest, but he also has projects to build.
If they go into production, of course i will let you all know.
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Tue, 06 December 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much would you guys be prepared to pay for the plans?
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Tue, 06 December 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill start the bidding at

*emptys pockets*

22 cents, a used condom Shocked ?? and a mouldy tic tac.

cheers scott
smitty1
Regular

July 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 09 December 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any chance of a drawing of the brackets getting posted?
jrs_ke11
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Fri, 09 December 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey ke1500 do you have these brakes on your corolla?

could you take pictures of it?

Thx,
JRS
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 12 December 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brakes inside 17's. You'd need to run 14" min.

Attachment: Image011141.jpg
(Size: 33.72KB, Downloaded 111 time(s))

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 12 December 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can tell you all that the brakes being used are most likely what was used on the VL turbo's (finned) right up to what was on the VS's (these are all the same bolt pattern). I am currently using these same rotors with the VL finned calipers. It is a very fiddly job. Mounting the magna disc is the easier part. Actually getting the caliper mounted and located in the right position is the hard part.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 08:03]

caibs
Occasional Poster

January 2005
what?
Re: EOI:big brakes for early rolla Mon, 12 December 2005 09:35 Go to previous message
ok

i have $100 right here

and i need these brackets. tell your mate to make them or else!!!

ahah

nar but seriously, if i die because of my shoddy brakes, its his fault. Laughing

send us a p.m if he can make em up, i'm keen - as you can prolly tell.

cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Alloys 13 x 8 & 13 x 6,5 suit RWD 'Rolla/Celica $200 Melb
Next Topic:AE86 BRACES: HERE ON MONDAY
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:39:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010074853897095 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.