Toymods » Track Talk » AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season Now at an End

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season Now at an End Wed, 13 April 2005 01:06 Go to next message
Well I thought I would actually post some proper Trak Talk I this section..

After a disastrous end to 2004

Resulted in us getting the car back from the panel beater only 2 weeks before the start of Round 1, the 2GO rally which was scheduled to run on the 19th of march.

The car in Primer and the engine in bits all over the garage, i was forced to take a week of work and put in some hard yards to get the car back together and painted.

The Engine went back in on the Friday and fired first go on Saturday after all the wiring was put back in, we are on track so far.

The next 4 days were spent preping the body and spray painting, this was the first time I have spray painted anything so it was a steep learning curve and took a lot longer then I would have liked, but in the end it worked out well and saved me money.

the next couple of days were spent putting new suspension and steering parts back in the were damaged in the roll.

On driving the car to to get a wheel alignment done, it was apparent not all was right in the engine department with the engine missing and going really rich and loosing all torque at between 4-5000 RPM but, making it all but undrivable in a rally.

I get the wheel alignment done, and arrange for Stewart Wilkins Motorsport to see if they can diagnose the problem on the Thursday before the rally.

After a long Thursday afternoon we still cant diagnose the problem, and Friday the car goes on the dyno for some fuel and ignition map adjustment and in now running a lot better, a different heat range spark plug also helped. Why it changed is a bit of a mystery ???

After its finished and the car is working i am told by the rally organizers the rally has been cancelled due to excess rain in the area and forestry pulled the pin.

After all those long days and hard work to rebuild it, i decide to sleep for the next week. But it paid off as I didn't have to touch the car for the next 3 weeks.

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/7698/dscf0010sm5pk.jpg

A quick trip To Oran Park last Saturday to give the car a good shakedown and get used to driving fast again all went smoothly.

Now to this weekend

round 1 of clubman north series will see us at the PCYC Charity Rally at Wauchope, around the Port Macquarie area.
So if anyone's in the area drop in check out the rally action,
A results report of how went will follow on Monday.

Ben.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2005 04:15]

Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Wed, 13 April 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GANBATTE TEAM AE86!

Surprised
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Wed, 13 April 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep er lit ben
lookin mighty fine Cool
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Wed, 13 April 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good luck Ben. I can't make it up there this weekend unfortunately, but Nav'd there last year and had an absolute ball!! Some very enjoyable sections of road in there Nod

Hope you set some good times and it all comes back in one piece!
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Sat, 16 April 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great work, car looks better than ever! Good luck with this yr
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Sat, 16 April 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
needs to be trueno again!!! Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Sat, 16 April 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No it doesn't - it just needs to be lime green is all!
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Sun, 17 April 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well we are back in sydney,

and i can only think of 2 good things that came out the rally, we started and finished, everything else in between turned to poo.

first 2 stages of the day the car developed some brake problems with the pedal going to the floor on a couple of occasions, and I couldn't generate enough heat in the brakes to give me any confidence but we get through.

stage 3 first of the long stages, about 20k's into and we hit a rock or something hard at about 100KM/h, i didn't see it so i don't know, But it cracked a rim and pushed it out enough so it was fouling on the suspension, But it didn't go flat.
We tried to drive on, but couldn't, so we pull over and change the tire, put on the spare which didn't have a lot of tread left, and continued on, We start driving only to hear a loud grinding noise, so again we pull over i climb under the car only to find a 60mm tree branch wedged between the exhaust and the car, rubbing along the ground as we were driving Mad
By this time we have already lost 20 min.

So we put out of the stage, and go to start stage 4.
Its not feeling too good with the car very unstable at 60k's so we back it off and crawl out of the stage to the next service.

Couldn't see any thing obvious, and with us nearly out of late time my girlfriend orders me back in the car, and we putt around the last couple of stages trying not to do any damage, and this point it also starts bucketing down with rain, So we finish the rally at a very slow speed, just because we could.

I still haven't had a chance to have a good look, but i suspect we also damaged the suspension on stage 3 with the rim grinding against it.

So there is a little bit of work to do before the next one.
As they say that's Motorsport.

Ben.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 April 2005 22:22]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 18 April 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At least the car is more or less in one peice.

Keep us updated on when you're running the car though, I'd love to get out and see it in the forest at some stage.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 18 April 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah me too.
I'm heading down to Canberra to officiate this weekend, but I've always wanted to get into rallying, unfortunately the finances & circumstances have always been against me.

Good luck with the rest of the year & if you need another person on the service crew Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 05:42]

ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 18 April 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the interest from everyone.

For those we want to get to the action a bit closer its on again
The 2005 Canberra Rally Experience, in support of SnowyHydro Southcare. 21st May

http://rally.snowyhydrosouthcare.com.au/

For a small sum of $25 you get to experience rally action first hand as your strapped into the passengers seat, and taken for the ride of a lifetime, along a real rally road in real rally cars, Neal Bates will possably be there like last year in their 4WD Corolla, there will be a couple of Evo's and Rexes and all the fun high revving grunty 2WD cars like mine Very Happy

mabey Toymods should organise a cruise down,
It was a fun day just check out the facial expressions from some of the passengers last year. And its all for a good charity.

http://img214.echo.cx/img214/5366/small8we.jpg

Cheers
Ben.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 18 April 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just keep it right side up this year Ben Razz
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 18 April 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a bit of a bugger of an event Ben! I spoke to Adam (yellow gemini driver) the other night and he mentioned that he thought you'd had problems of some sort.. How long have you got to get it sorted before the next event?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 18 April 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rally Experience sounds like some fun to me. Thanks for finding a birthday present for my Mrs Very Happy , she'll be wrapped.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Fri, 22 April 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh what a bugger of an event Sad at leat its nothing major though Ben, good to see your getting a bit hands on with the spray painting and engine building though Smile , will keep SW from smiling so much when you drive it in all the time hahah

whens your next oran or eastern creek shakedown? if i still have the rolla i might come out for a session.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Tue, 03 May 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For sale 2 rims slightly used Very Happy

http://img57.echo.cx/img57/9519/dscf00281yt.jpg

Canberra Rally Experience is coming up real fast,
So if you want to know why the boys from the footy show are a bunch of wimps in a rally car, come on down for a ride.

Ben.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Tue, 03 May 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh they sped the footage on the in car camera up so much it wasn't funny.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Tue, 03 May 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll definately be at Rally Experience with Mandy. I don't know if I'll go out in any of the cars but I'll be sending her out for 4 or 5 rides for her birthday present.

Is there anywhere that we can see a listing of cars that will be running or anything along those lines? Does anyone actually run a Lancia Delta Integrale in Australian rallying any more? Because if I could get her a ride in an Integrale that would be good enough that I'd never have to buy another present.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Sat, 07 May 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 14:05

I'll definately be at Rally Experience with Mandy. I don't know if I'll go out in any of the cars but I'll be sending her out for 4 or 5 rides for her birthday present.

Is there anywhere that we can see a listing of cars that will be running or anything along those lines? Does anyone actually run a Lancia Delta Integrale in Australian rallying any more? Because if I could get her a ride in an Integrale that would be good enough that I'd never have to buy another present.

i know a quy who has a delta rally car in sydney
the has not run it though has an 037 Shocked parked beside it too Cool
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 04 July 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Ben whats the goss? give us an update Very Happy
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season start. Mon, 04 July 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reminder Andrew

After the carnage of Wauchope and some further investigation led to finding that one of the struts was bent like a Bananna and as a result couldnt compress causing the very bad handling.

$2000 later some new super dooper front suspension has been installed causing me to miss a couple of rallies. But should be a big improvement on what was in the car.

It will have a shakedown at a State rallysprint at Awaba near newcastle this Saturday, racing starts from 1 until 8:30 its the only day/night rallysprint of the season so it should be fun. If anyone is in the area drop in and say hi.

Ben.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season end Tue, 06 December 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i thought it was time for an update before we move the thread to the new forum for 2006,

After A bad Start it was a good end for once,

The last 3 months have been flat out with events,
First was the Shake down to the bthurst ARC rally, which went ok.
Then for the Big ARC Rally Bathurst which we finished 10th Clubman driver(non ARC crew) with the help of TheStitt and Wagonist servicing, we had a ball and it was a good experience.

Then there was a 3 week break to the last NSW rally championchip event of the year down at Canberra, After the high of finishing 10th at Bathurst i was pumped for another good result.
Didnt have a great start position starting car 59 but that was alright.

SS1 nice fast and flowing stage finding the limits nicly, but not over doing it, get to the end of the stage, 30th fastest Very Happy
and only a couple of seconds behind the class leader 10th fastest 2WD car out of a full field of 64,

SS2 Had a minor drama at the start and lost about 10 seconds trying to get the dahm thing into 1st gear Embarassed oops wont do that again, drove the rest of the stage smooth but dropped down to 34th due to my starting error.

SS3 Down comes the rain Sad at this point i think this is not going to be a fun day, It was a very tight and dangerous stage with shear cliff drops for most of the stage, and still raining, take it a little easy on the first half of the stage, and get some rhythm back when the rain eases up a little, , but with 5k/m to go i underestemate the sharpness of a tight right hander and go straight into ditch and get stuck Mad LSD is working over time with lots of forward and backward rocking of the car and we eventually break free, only a slightly bent bumper/grill/lights but nothing major until i start loosing power below 5000 RPM, which ment i only had 3000 usable rev range, get to the end of the stage and take a bigh sigh of relief.

There is still 1 stage to go before service, so i just stick at it, cant see anything obviously broken in the engine bay, so we head off to stage 4.

SS4 Rain gets a little heavier and a big uphill start dont help me on this stage, just drove as smooth as i could trying to not let the revs drop below 5, get to the end, in tact but still running 38th after our off track excursion.

SS5 is cancelled due to a tree falling on the road and too wet so we head back to the service park to wait for our next instructions, and a long neaded service.

still cand find out why the engine is playing up so we head to the last stage as all the other stages have been cancelled due to the torrential rain/hail/storms

SS7 repeat of SS4 just drove to the finish trying to not fall of the road as its now dark and very muddy, didnt do anything stupid and finished. 34 th At the end which is still respectable out of a field of 64, but would have been much higher after our off track excursion.

And that ends our 2005 season, car is going to get a new lick of paint, and and engine and diff rebuild for 2006, but at least its in 1 piece.

Ben.

http://www.mfoto.com.au/mfoto/photos/dk/59_natcap_dk05_15051.jpg

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86Trueno's 2005 Rally season Now at an End Mon, 12 December 2005 11:24 Go to previous message
Ah so that was NatCap on. My GF told me when i got in to Berra on Monday that she had gone out and seen your car there.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Track Registry
Next Topic:Forums and CLOSING !
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 12:51:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060591697692871 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.