Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Fri, 09 December 2005 10:49 Go to next message
hey all, just bought myself a new RN20 diff for $100 from the wreckers, then a spare RA28 diff from kirk for $50... the mission swap the mounting points from the RA28, to the RN20... and rebuilt the RN20, bearing seals etc... LEAVE THE CENTER ALONE!!! fair enough, mission assigned to a diff and g'box shop in wolloongabba... easy... got a call from them today to say my diff is almost ready, final bill.... $1000... cash... that's after they said it won't be much more then $700, which thought steep anyway, but since i don't have a welder, i'll live with it... so anyways, gonna let them re-consider their price, or they can keep the diff... both of them...

just having a gripe Razz , i know everyone hates being ripped off, but this is not gonna happen again Evil or Very Mad , those who nkow my wiring nightmare story will understand why...

ciao
  Send a private message to this user    
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Fri, 09 December 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate it when this stuff happens and if your anything like me you don't really have the $1000. i had a service the other day and they called me when it was done, i said give me a rough price so i can go to the bank, they said would be around 250-300, i thought i guess i could live with that, got a call back 10 mins later and they said the bill is $450! how does that work.

I am starting a list of places i am not visiting again...

sorry just having a bitch also Razz
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Sun, 11 December 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave is usually really good with his prices tho.

at least u know the $1000 will be well spent, always has good quality workmanship
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Sun, 11 December 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave??? who's dave? and $1000 is a rip.. for that much i'd expect a slippery center, or disc brakes...
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Sun, 11 December 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats fucked
id pay maybe $500 MAX
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Sun, 11 December 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha... just got off the phone to the guys at the shop, apparantly the extra cost came from the fact they supplied a spare open center, and lapped the crown and pinion 'cause they were pitted (which i did see before hand), but as soon as i suggested it'd be cheaper for me to leave them with the diff, get myself another one and find someone else to do it cheaper, they wiped the price down to $750.. almost with out hesitation... sounds much better i think, gonna pick it up tomorrow.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Mon, 12 December 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice win there Bro... I got raped $970 for a 100,000km service a coupla months ago - which they'd said would be $650.

Does the $320 difference sound a bit steep for front brake pads and machining the discs? or am I being unrealistic? hmmmm . . .
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Mon, 12 December 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 10:30

Nice win there Bro... I got raped $970 for a 100,000km service a coupla months ago - which they'd said would be $650.

Does the $320 difference sound a bit steep for front brake pads and machining the discs? or am I being unrealistic? hmmmm . . .

Maybe if the brake pads were made from gold (or really good ones) and they used diamonds to machine the disks. Razz

But then you never know how long it took them to remove the disks etc so it's pretty hard to tell whether you were overcharged.
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Mon, 12 December 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll Get Rod to have a look at this thread tonight.
I not sure of the exact $$ amount for all the work he had done, but am sure it was over the $3000 and that does not include perchace price,

Fact is, when ever you have a car or children you never have $$$, and god help you if you have both

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 06:22]

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Mon, 12 December 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 11:00

100'000K service on an ST184 ??? If so thats your timing belt service dude so unless they didn't do it or you only replaced the belt instead of the complete timing ket $970 is a baragin !

Oh and front brakes.. Lets see

1hr or so labour,
Disc machine
Front pads
Brake fluid
Additional drive time to bed them in - 20 min labour

Thats assuming your caliper slides didn't need regreasing and it all went to plan.

So yeah $320 depending on the type of Pads is not that out there..
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Getting taken for a ride on a diff... $1000 for a RN20 lol... Tue, 13 December 2005 00:10 Go to previous message
thetoyman75 wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 18:02

100'000K service on an ST184 ??? If so thats your timing belt service dude so unless they didn't do it or you only replaced the belt instead of the complete timing ket $970 is a baragin !

Oh and front brakes.. Lets see

1hr or so labour,
Disc machine
Front pads
Brake fluid
Additional drive time to bed them in - 20 min labour

Thats assuming your caliper slides didn't need regreasing and it all went to plan.

So yeah $320 depending on the type of Pads is not that out there..

As per my Sig, the SillyCar is gone . . . . Long Live the Skyline ! ! ! The Timing belt replacement should be INFINITELY easier (I did the Celica myself) . . . and It's $30 to machine each disc, and $140 or so for Bendix Ultimate pads, which leaves $120 labour to remove wheels & discs, then reinstall......

Hmmm... still not too sure.... . . . In any case, another 100,000km 'til it's belt-time again, so ZERO bogus servicing co$ts for Me ! ! !
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheres a good fair place to get regas for aircon -SYD
Next Topic:ACT Spotted
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:50:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064148902893066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.