Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age inlet manifold q?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 02:26 Go to next message
ive got an issue with using the standard inlet manifold.

Im not using the t-vis plate altho i could if i need to and im having an issue with the inlet manifold not completley sealing against the head. The studs on the head of the gze are long enough but the thread seems too short.

I heard Feral said something about this possibly and that he fixed it by using 2 gaskets i think. I'm using the 2 gaskets but im not convinced that its sealing. Anyone have any ideas???

Should i go back to using the t-vis spacer and replace the studs with longer ones?

Ive toyed with the idea of using some thicker paper gaskets doubled up but im not sure that they are approptiate for an inlet manifold gasket..
  Send a private message to this user    
go_the_datt
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the treads are to short on the bolt head you could go to a hardware place and buy a trread cutter to make the treads longer on the bolt. a easy solution.
cheers ben
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that but i think i will just replace them with longer ones shouldnt be hard
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just put a stack of washers under the nut.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 14:22

hrrrm so obvious Very Happy

good idea cheers
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 14:24

Ben Wilson wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 14:22

hrrrm so obvious Very Happy

good idea cheers

If you do this, you should use a locking washer on top of a flat washer, use a fat flat washer so hopefully you'll only need one locking and flat washer per thread.

Using more too many washers per thread will enter it in to ghetto mods territory

Just my opinion
Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it should only need 1 or 2 washes its only slightly too short
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put a little bit of anerobic flange sealant on there.. Loctite make a good red fuel safe one (must be fuel safe cold start injector sits befor the runners) it's a red jelly, only a wee bit.. she will be good Smile

matty
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use the TVIS plate minus the butterflies and weld up the holes like so...

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4674/tvis0016eu.th.jpg

I've had advice from others with VERY modded 4agtes that you will have vacuum leaks between the 3rd and 4th runners without the TVIS spacer. Having said that, there are also people that have simply used both gaskets + the inlet mani and have had no issues.

But have a look at the TVIS plate and you'll see that the 2 sides have different sealing surfaces. Now look at the mani and the head and their sealing surfaces. I decided to keep the plate.

Eddie.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive removed the butterflies from the spacer i guess ill have to find something to plug the holes up whatd u use??
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea, on the gze head i cheated and just used both gaskets together to seal the inlet manifold to the head properly and a couple washers on each bolt/stud. i had no drama doing it this way running 12psi.
i was going to make myself a ~4mm aluminium plate that i had traced out the outline of the head side gasket and the 'inline' of the manifolds gasket, that would of covered the small holes that you can see if you hold the inlet manifold to the head.

when i went back to the old 4age and turbo'd it, i put the gutted t-vis plate on.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 21:26

yeah ive removed the butterflies from the spacer i guess ill have to find something to plug the holes up whatd u use??

i used 2 part liquid metal on the 2 holes that needed sealing.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Mon, 12 December 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeps, metal glue will work fine. It's basically a metal apoxy. Have a look for "Belzona", that's what i used.

Eddie.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Tue, 13 December 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
belzona it is then hope it stands up to 22psi Laughing

cheers for the help Feral and Big T
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Tue, 13 December 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either change the studs to something an appropriate length (cost you all of a couple of gold coins at the nearest bolt shop) or put a phenolic spacer in there and enjoy a little more insulation between the manifold and the head. Much simpler, neater and better than farting around with washers etc.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age inlet manifold q? Tue, 13 December 2005 02:35 Go to previous message
yeah im going to get some new studs might aswell. i allready have one out of the head as the nut got stuck to it when i overtightened it woops Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bellhousing for early SV21 V6 Camry motor.
Next Topic:3sgte flat spot
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:38:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060930252075195 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.