Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Volatile
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Replacing shocks Mon, 12 December 2005 06:29 Go to next message
Hi

My starlet's front and rear shocks are almost completely gone and it's time to replace them. I have the option of buying the front and rear replacement stock parts from toyota at $116 x2 for the fronts and $39 x2 for the rears, OR pedders 'comfort gas with VRD' items at $215 x2 for the fronts and $155 x2 for the rears.

The pedders mechanic talked about how transformed the car would be over the stock items, but that is a HUGE difference in price - is it really worthwhile? That's $310 vs $740...

My car is the N/A variety, but goes a bit better than stock so I appreciate good handling in corners or over corrugations in the road... it would take a pretty significant increase in ride quality for the $430 price hike to be worthwhile....

Any suggestions?
  Send a private message to this user    
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Replacing shocks Mon, 12 December 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you havent really had a problem with the stock ones i'd just get them again...your dont really sound like a race car driver who needs to take 90 degree corners at 120kmph. if you've got the money to throw around sure get the better ones. just weigh up pro's and con's VS cost
Volatile
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Replacing shocks Mon, 12 December 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See I've had the car since it had 70k on the clock and I didn't like the suspension back then. Now at 140k it's far worse, so while I have to replace it, I was thinking that it might be a good time to fix up the ride if it is simply flawed with the stock shocks.

I'm not a racer, certainly, but I do enjoy driving and do appreciate a car that is able to competently take corners and corrugations on the road.

The question is whether this pedders setup is overpriced or overkill? Perhaps there is something on offer from another manufacturer that improves on the standard ride, but doesn't cost this much?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2005 07:12]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Replacing shocks Tue, 13 December 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy aftermarket, but NOT the comfort gas! If you can get them at a reasonable price, it's well worth spending a few $ on Koni etc. over the standard items. Many places that sell that kind of gear DO charge PLENTY, however...

If you really don't want to spend too much though, use the standard ones.
Volatile
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Replacing shocks Tue, 13 December 2005 03:15 Go to previous message
It has now been decided, I'm getting KYB shocks for $495. That's a very fair tradeoff between price and performance, in my opinion.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Australian Design Rules - Exhaust Clearance
Next Topic:Bellhousing for early SV21 V6 Camry motor.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:38:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046439170837402 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.