Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How reliable are ST162 Celica's?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Sat, 01 March 2003 11:53 Go to next message
I've got a really good mate, he's been looking at cars, and we came across this late 1985 model ST162 Celica.
Its the metallic silver/blue, the interior is spotless and the body is free of rust. The paint has faded badly across the roof, bonnet and boot. The dealer is going to have this resprayed before the car is for sale.
The car has just over 210000km, but has a full Toyota service history in the log book with the car. Mate took it for a driver, goes really well and the AC works great too.
My mate likes the car, but his dad is REALLY giving him hassles about the age of the car as he has had numerous problems with his 1986 Corolla.

Can anyone who has had any experiences or hopefully owned them tell me about them, and possibly if there are any common problems that happen with them, and I mean anything, good and bad, so we can convince his Dad that its a good car and he doesn't end up driving a Nissan NX Coupe. Very Happy Is there many things that happen with age to stuff up also?

Thanks,
Nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Sat, 01 March 2003 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I owned an ST162 of similar milage for about 2 and a half years.

I bought it with 175,000 on the clock and sold it with 225,000.

In that time the only things I had go wrong with it were a leaky power steering pressure line (~150 to replace) and a few holes develop in the exhaust which I just welded up.

Was a great first car. Went really well (didn't go quite as well when I sold it as I thrashed it a fair bit Confused )

Mine was an 88 model but I don't think there are any differences between these years.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Sat, 01 March 2003 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wicked mate, keep them coming guys! Razz
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Sun, 02 March 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mates had an 86\87 ST162 for 3 years now and the only problem he had was getting his AC regassed Razz

Oh and i think he cracked his rear axel, but that was more the fact that he 180'd it into a gutter going about 70 Evil or Very Mad

...just asked him how its going now and he says he's had no real problems with her and that she's been a well behaved bitch while he's had her(exact words Razz)
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Sun, 02 March 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I own a late 87 st162, iv had the car for about 6 months now and i love it, the only problem i have had was a small oil leak that was fixed with easy, i bought my car with 210,000 Kms on it but it drives like its only dont 100,000. i would recommed this car to anyone with not a whole lot of money buts wants something that still has a bit of go, the car also has a lot of 'doing up' potential.
Astro
Regular

August 2002

Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Sun, 02 March 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never owned one, but I have heard that the CV joints have problems. Probably because its the first FWD Celica.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Mon, 03 March 2003 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the complete service history for mine since new. No mention of CV joints being replaced at all.

I replaced the CV joint boot, but that was it. Made a mess when it split mind you.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Tue, 04 March 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically you thrash, it breaks.

big time!

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2003 13:18]

3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Tue, 04 March 2003 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've had my ST162 for about 8 months now, it its great, as 178500 on it. It does leak a bit of oil and will get fixxed soon (the mechanic said it brobably the crank seal, or the cam gear seals. And it needs new engine mounts, that about it,a nd yeah it got heaps of "doing up" potential.

Nezza Cool
bergerac
Regular

February 2003
Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Tue, 04 March 2003 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a '86, bought it with 270k kms on it and droped in an imported motor that was all but brand new. I trashed the guts outta it for about a year and the only problem I had with it was a bad connection on the for the oil presure guage. We pulled the head off the old motor and the bottom end was still in really good condtion, got some work done on it to put on my new motor and it still going strong today. The only reason I sold it was because I came across my ST205 cheap and couldnt pass it up.
<-- thats the beast in the background

cyber-punk: your mates car wouldnt be silver and missing the front lip spoiler would it?

Luke

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Wed, 05 March 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bergerac: from memory its a silver\blue colour
but this is in brisbane, i'm still fairly new to perth Smile
bergerac
Regular

February 2003
Re: How reliable are ST162 Celica's? Wed, 05 March 2003 02:18 Go to previous message
Fair enough, I know someone over here that did the exact same thing!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:OT: Anti-terrorism signs...
Next Topic:CAR HISTORY...what cars have you owned??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:32:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050811767578125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.