Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » easy and cheap mods for a commodore?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:34 Go to next message
Guys, im gonna buy this vp commodore...they got a fair bit of squirt in stock form, but what can i do cheap that will give a little more oomph?

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2003 09:35]

Send a private message to this user  
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burn it Laughing
That aside, we talking 6 or 8? Manual or auto?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best thing you can do is try and hide the fact that its a Commodoor Razz
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for fucks sake just fucken tell me wat can make it go even better...its a 6 with an auto tranny.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends how much you wanna spend...
If you can stretch to a cam, chip, shift kit, maybe even some head work, that'll liven it up a fair bit if it's in good order.
Otherwise it's exhaust, intake, that kinda stuff - but don't expect anything amazing from that kinda stuff. Oh, and remember they sound HORRIBLE with a really big exhaust too!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For fuck sake its a dunnydore.. Just dump the POS.. Or put an exhaust on it which is all you can do cheaply.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah lol ive heard one like that...not too nice...v8 sound good tho. I think a pod filter and a little bit of playing around will do me...its only a temporary car while the supras waiting to be built.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - we know dunnydore's arent wonderful performance cars - but let's just accept the fact they were designed as a cheap family car and do that rather well - so long as nobody thinks they can turn one into an F1 car theres no harm in a bit of playing.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can always be Fully Sik - fit the 14" tacho, take the hubcaps off the rear steelies, fit 17s on the front, sausage roll, cut the springs, neons....
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man those 6s go pretty damn hard if u know how to work them...that was wat i was orignally gonna put in my supra...a supercharged vp motor. Right they werent designed as a sports car but theyve got more than enough grunt to rip up a lot of jap crap - silvias and hondas.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its got 15" alloys all round...not huge but better than the hubbies.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you must be thinking about Silvia Q's, because most of the Silvias I know could suck up and shit out a V6 Commonwhore...??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking the same thing.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silvia q? I was referring to silvias in general...fucken sloppy pos wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding. 2.0L one is O.K
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but the silvias are still teh ugliest sports car (or car of any sort) on the face of this planet. Why they are so popular, i dont know. Put one next to an ST185 and watch it splutter.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cos theyre cheap and sound like ya typical honda wanna be...a loud lawnmower that goes pshhhh...theres one uglier car...a ford tauraus and the fiat can that goes around europe...looks like postman pats car.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silvia's in general??? Any turbo Silvia will make a mess of a V6 Commonwhore, my mates CA18DET one even with auto had no problems putting them away.

As for the looks, I agree, they aren't my favourite, I like the front of them, but I hate the back. I like 180SX's, but personally think the Sileighty looks nicest Smile
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my brothers auto vp shits all over another friends silvia turbo...guess its a 1.8 tho...and a manual. the 2l one still aint quick but a damn lot better than a 1.8!
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread wins the "asked a question but never got a response" trophy

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[edit: screw playing this game]

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2003 00:39]

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously do we have any Forum moderators ???

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but I think they must be automated so they turn off when the bullshit levels go off the scale.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes manipulate it would probably win something like that..but it happens a fair bit around her so its no skin off my back. Perhaps you should not read the "non-toyota" threads ed? You're very critical about engines that arent toyotas, but also think u know a shitload about toyotas? Come on...what do ya really know?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently more than you, but even still, he's willing to accept new ideas instead of burying his head in the sand. Rolling Eyes
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[edit: screw playing this game]

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2003 00:40]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no ed, close but no cigar

"never argue with a fool, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience Smile "

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2003 10:30]

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh you're good...give yourself a hand and a pat on the back Rolling Eyes
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe @ JCMF

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG, that was my signature a long time ago.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooooh dear, why did I know this thread would open many worm cans?

As I said, suggest how much you might be willing to spend on the commodore and I'll put up some suggestions.

That aside, any S13 onwards car played with a bit can out handle and out go a commodore by an enormous amount... but thats another kettle of fish again Very Happy

Please save the Y+D behaviour for the pub, can we?
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats Y+D ??? Confused
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yobbos and Dickheads

Look around, shouldn't be too hard to spot them in day to day life!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/me puts on fireproof armour

put the 302 in it, commodores are such dinosaurs that it will probably pass the emissions laws (sorry i had to say that)

maybeye it would be better idea to ask some people on a HOLDEN forum.

either that, or put in a toyota engine, i've heard those toyota lexen v6s fit in pretty easily.

seriously though, that horrible 1950s engine (no exageration at all i assure you) is best left alone, or at the bottom of the sea on a loong piece of chain. it is just horrible, bad ugly. i watched thousands of these get built, so i know every shitty part of them.

leave it stock though, and you might be able to beat the odd naturally aspirated auto "jap crap" silvia but then, where is the fun in that? i could beat one of thems on foot.

"if you make something idiot proof, they will just go and make a better idiot"
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin i think in the area of small hundreds will be fine...nothine expensive...so i was thinking a pod filter or something?
Robbos mummy
Newcomer

March 2003
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your not doing any such thing until your properly toilet trained

FIX CARS!!!! huh you can barely spell
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing LMAO Laughing

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robbo , its past your bedtime

I can hear your mummy calling.

Matt

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Laughing
This forum needs a poolroom, a la PF.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK we can all bag the dunnydores, and I can well join in too - but lets just accept the fact that he's got the car and just wants a bit more excitement. Biggest trouble with commdores is image - every time I drive one, instantly every other clown my age wants to 'drag' me from the lights in their equally flogged out piece of crap - but hey, their problem not mine!

A lampshade (pod) isn't going to release an enormous amount of hidden power or anything - certainly no more than 5 minutes with the holesaw in the standard airbox can do. Do that instead, and with the number of commodore airboxes floating round, it isn't the end of the world if you bugger it up.

Likewise, play with the exhaust a bit, but once again overall gains are minimal, simply because the engines DEFINATELY not a revver at ALL.

Probably best off playing with the auto trans a little bit, making it feel a bit gruntier, that's if you can't afford a cam+chip package.
robbos sister
Newcomer

March 2003
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robbo,

What are you doing wanking yourself so hard tonight? You said i could do it.

Please, put the computer away and come and let me finish you off.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn ur funny...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weak as piss...
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah just that fucken stupid its funny.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not just keep the money and spend it on your supra i think it would be a bit of a waste spending money on a temp car. but if you wanna waste money filter, exhaust, chip and then cam is what all the sick commy boys do to their rides, its fully sick brodda! Wink

PS im sure a commodore can beat any na silvia but it WILL NOT beat a turbo silvia in stock form.

Daniel
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROBBO, you should put you old 5M-E in the dunnydoor (prolly go better), at least then you might get some help from this forum.
I mean really, what Toyota man(or woman) buy's a dunnydoor (or ruins a supra by putting a 302 in it)?? Maybe if you own a caravan or don't want the grubby kids to touch the celica.
No offence intended if you own a dunnydoor & like it.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Tue, 04 March 2003 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sheesh people really don't like commodores hey?

in response to robbo's original question, there is plenty you can do to the old beast.

have a look at my page on www.vncommodore.com - its with respect modifying a VN but the VP is *really* only different in a few areas, the modifications however stay the same : http://www.vncommodore.com/Technical/vnc_modifying _page.asp

i've got part numbers and shit for the factory supercharged cold air intake system which you can still get from holden, yes you can put a pod on it and they do sound quite good, but, heated air in the engine bay can sap performance a bit - also bear in mind the the commodore airbox was tested some time ago and flows quite well with a decent air filter.

re: exhaust, well, you can go up to a 2.5" exhaust but even that is a bit big, a good single cat back system will reap nice gains but a set of extractors to help get the gas out also works wonders. if you want a nice deep rumble (and YES the v6 can do it) get a VP 185kw HSV muffler with twin outlets on it (its stainless steel, will cost a bit but worth it) and you'll get a nice deep rumble from it (mine used to sound great)

otherwise you can go to a nice twin cat/twin muffler system, but, may be a little outside the budget dude.

there are a few other things that can be done, but, i won't go into it on here. PM me or have a read of my forums if you want further help.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2003 20:34]

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

"never argue with a fool, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience "

Almost same as my signature Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2003 02:10]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahahahahaha Laughing
scottee78
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove the plastic bit on the front of the airbox, it's good for 50kw .. 10" ehaust tip about 30kw .. pissing on a ford sticker, you get respect .. fully sik prosound subs, you pull the chicks mwaaaaate

and drop a 7M in it, its more reliable than than the 3.8 buick bucket of snot

HTH
scottee
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robbo why the hell do u own a toyota supra if u call it jap crap u say silvas and shit, but hate to tell u jap is jap honda toyota nissin mitsu all of that if u wanna know stuff about "holden" ask nicly and then expect alot of critisem this is called "toymods" robbo u create alot of arguments in here i have noticed the other one with 302 post, maybe u are a big 8 or 6 man and if thats the case you should be looking into findin anotjher forum with ppl that know more with those motors as im assuming most of the guys here have most of there experance with toyota motors. if u wanna know something about ur toyota post away unless u can take the critisem
Quote:

for fucks sake just fucken tell me wat can make it go even better...its a 6 with an auto tranny.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you need a temporary car while you do up the supra, why are you buying a car that will without a doubt cost you more money that what you paid for it? there are a MILLION better cars (ever family cars) out there than a shitbox VP, arent they arent anywhere near as ugly. (and will DEFINITELY outdrag it).
Cars like:
- early 90's nissan maxima
- toyota cressida
- mitsu magna

these are just a few ideas dude. And seriously, not even me with my 3K KE50 POS have i tried to make it faster. All i did was add some wheels cos the ones i bought actually had tread on them.

If its a temp car treat it as such. Holdens in general are by no means a performance vehicle.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, can we tone it down a little?

Some of it may be funny, but can we try not to pick on each other?

If you don't have anything good to say, then refrain from saying it.

We want Toymods to be one big happy family... Not a bunch of bickering kids.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good call nark. keep it real all!
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep sounds good...grega thanks for your help.
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well... to start you'll never get mind blowing performance from these cars, but they are ok, and can pretty much own any peice of ricey jap crap i.e, hondas Very Happy

To begin you might want to get some extractors (not cheap shit one size fts all crap, get a decent set) then an exhaust, thesse mods wont do much in the way of hp but make it look as if you just didnt borrow the car from your parents Confused

Forced induction is an absolute no in the case of the ecotec six, there relatively weak botom end makes them prone to damage, although i have seen cases of small superchargers running no more than 4-5psi doing wonders for low down torque, and great acceleration.

One the absolute easiest mods is getting it chipped, chiptorque make one and is good for a few kW.

A good cam is also a fairl cheap mod, whit great gains, although watch out, dont go to wild with the cam, these engines dont like to rev as thier harmonics are REALLY bad, plus you might lose the low down torque which is what these engines are good for.

Throttle Body mods do sweet fuck all.

The usuall pod filter is a good and cheap mod, supercrap sells kits designed for the commowhores.

Changing the dif ratio is a relatively good mod, the old diff is pretty much designed for cruising and low-down torque (once again)

If your considering cracking the block shot peened internals, but leave stock compression (i'm almost sure its arounf the high 8 mark, may be wrong tho) get a balance while your at it, t'll rev uch more freely..

theres pretty much too much to list

enjoy commowhore ownership...

cheers
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not going to make this into a fast car...thats what the supra's for! Just wanted some cheap mods to get max out of her for low $. Cheers for all your help.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a good point actually toycelica77 makes - 3.45 diff gears do WONDERS for these things - really transform them.

indeed the VS block/ecotec setup seems to be inherently weaker. i know of VN's just short of 1,000,000km which have never been opened up! the VS onwards seem to tell tales of issues at ~180,000km and they're throw away get a new one.

stock comp is indeed 8.5:1
a shave of the heads and 9.5:1 with PULP and a chip to suit would yield small results.

its like most things, i think what you wanna look at is bolt ons robbo, so, zorst cold air, maybe chip will do the job. especially seeing as its an in-between while the supras done dude!
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is vp tho...different to vs....bottom end similar to vn but more grunt and torque than a stock vn 6.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2003 09:22]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double post

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2003 09:22]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: easy and cheap mods for a commodore? Wed, 05 March 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
robbo, they're really not that different, sure cam profile was changed a bit, the rear main went neoprene one piece rather than rope type, you got a two wire o2 sensor, bleeder in top of top rad hose and also moved to front of head, they're really not that different. mods for one pretty much suit both. if anything the VP is a bit tamer, VN is torquier and rougher
Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:help
Next Topic:rear disc removal mx73
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:50:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077259540557861 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.