Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 302 has arrived!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROBBO_ma61 wrote on Tue, 04 February 2003 20:55

i dont think you guys are wanting to believe that old motors arent neccessary bad motors, and are incapable of decent power. What are all the drag cars? Most v8s arent they? All older engines being 351s, 350chevs, 427/429. i am yet to see a 1uzfe enter a drag contest. wonder why? Funny i mentioned that in 69 the 302 was putting out as much or more power as a 1996 toyota v8.

oh for fucks sake!!!

NO ONE CARES WHAT MOTOR YOURE PUTTING IN YOURE CAR[/SIZE]]

what is getting people annoyed is youre stubborn inability to see good advice when it's staring you in the face.

then theres also the small fact that you seem to have NFI about the ins and outs of engine builds and conversions in general, let alone the specific requirments of what youre trying to pull off - (which, btw is far more complicated that ANY 7m/1g/1jz/1uz conversion you could ever hope to do- not that thats a reason not to do it, but youve got A LOT OF HOMEWORK to do)

try getting your stubborn head out of your ass, listen to some advice being bandied about, learn a lesson or two about engine performance characteristics, and avoid any potential headaches that may arise from not listening to people who DO KNOW BETTER THAN YOU...

and for te record, i dont think ANYONE is trying to talk you out of a 302. hell, i like old school v8's myself, but i seriously think you need to get to grips with exactly what is REQUIRED to fit one in your car (if at all), and then learn all about that engine and its idosyncrasies. and NOT just from some dude whos plonked em in cars before. there is A LOT of NEW information out there about how to make them perform better using modern engine technology. ie SMALL ports, high swirl port bowl design, etc etc.

close your mouth, open your ears...

ed
  Send a private message to this user  
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here Here Ed!

CamZH
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im sorry? harder than a 1j/ jap turbo conversion? How about all computers and wiring? You got no fucken idea. perhaps i should move this forum to a different website where i dont have wankers (bar clint and a few others) trying to tell me they know more about what im doing than i do. a ford mechanic is one person whos giving me a hand....so youd assume hed be able to give me good advice?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the legalities.. by a mechanic? hah

computers and wires.. I got a hand with my wiring by a guy who had done it b4 he had sorted the few wires to sort in about 30minutes, of fucking round with conectors mainly.. and handed me 4 wires to connect.
no that hard really.. armed with a wiring diagram I could have done it may have taken some time, but hell not more than 1 day.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry.. couldnt leave it be.. will not come back again.. sorry.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROBBO_ma61 wrote on Tue, 04 February 2003 22:29

im sorry? harder than a 1j/ jap turbo conversion? How about all computers and wiring? You got no fucken idea.

OK, that's the final straw. Mad

You, of all people, have NO BUSINESS telling Ed he has no idea. Ed is one of the more knowledgable contributors on this forum, and it's clear he has "been there and done that" when it comes to engine conversions. Instead of listening to his sound advice, all you want to do is argue and tell everyone that YOU know best, despite your obvious lack of experience and poor general knowledge. Some of your comments defy belief; seriously, I sit here and shake my head at some of the stuff you've posted in this thread.

It's pretty clear by now that you've got your head stuck in the sand and aren't interested in hearing anything that doesn't agree with your pre-conceived notions. It's a pity, because an attitude like that guarantees you will stay ignorant forever.

*rant off*
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROBBO_ma61 wrote on Tue, 04 February 2003 23:29

i) trying to tell me they know more about what im doing than i do.

ii) a ford mechanic is one person whos giving me a hand....so youd assume hed be able to give me good advice?

i) youve got no idea what youre doing dude. face it. youve got a used engine in bits, thats it. youre planning on doing a complete rebuild on it? ok no worries. you got any idea whats involved in that? i suspect not "what's honing"... what will it take to get it in? well thats simple enough. gearboxes? well, you fumbled around on that one for about a month. decided yet? really? and its still more sensible/affordble than say a properly prepped low mile 7m? and dont let me sway you here. im all for the 302, but you want real performance? priced roller rockers lately? how about new valve springs? hell, what about cams to get you your +400hp? new mains bolts? BE bolts? hell, youre still planning on using the old pistons arent you? have you even mic'd them? you might not even be able to use them if you hone the block (which you have to do). and dont be fooled by the old big port heads. theyre actually shittier than the small ports. go do some reading and see how most ppl these days, paticularly superstock racers, are filling their ports in Smile

ii) i love the word 'assume'...you cant do that dude. mechanics, generally, are as dumb as posts - thats why theyre mechanics (no offence to the smart wrenchers out there - i was one). theyre only good for bolting stuff together. why do most ppl do theyre own engine work, so these fools NEVER have to touch their cars. legal requiremnts? emissions controls?? sensible ADR compliance??like bugman said, good fuckin luck. SEE A CERTIFIED ENGINEER. tell him exactly what you want to do and grit your teeth for the answer.

you think we're wankers? fine. youre a complete tool for just being so stubborn and defensive about something which we ARE JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU WITH...

oh, and btw, the wiring is probably the simplest (if not must frustrating) part of a conversion.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed, nah stuff like the old pistons are not of any use to me. Im replacing most of that stuff...but i will have the rods crack tested etc. Aod is first preference for box as im going for auto, next after that would be a turbo 700...im keen to have the 4 speed. Ive got all the valve springs, rocker arms...heads complete with all components i should say. perhaps i shouldve said everything that i had before. The reason im going for a 302 and not 351 is a thing you mentioned. Legality. Im pretty sure in qld anything larger than 5.0L wouldnt be allowed. I found out that when i was originally thinking of putting in a 350chev. I didnt say you were all wankers. People like you (ed) and norbie amougst others obviously know things about motor cars and engines. its when the others that dont know as much begin debating it becomes a bit of a shitfight. ill continue this post tommorow night...im rooted.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw,

for the record i've helped assemble and install a 302 into a 71/72 capri, ive owned, modded and run a 4cyl 151ci (302/2) racing engine for 2 years (think it was actually a gm engine though?), and most recently have done a heap of reading on the old school racing heads, port characters and flow dynamics, and combustion chamber designs for some work im doing.

so i do have a small clue

ed
TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
100+ post I thought there might be some useful information, but no just amusement.

Ignorance is BLISS.

marty
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Almost for the record, but not quite because I'm not a drag car builder, but most V8 carby fed drag engines run on methanol or even gas with a shatload of NOS. Not on petrol, carbies just aren't efficient enough for petrol. Also note, that the only time when carbies can actually do a better job than injection, is in a drag car, where the volume of fuel and the extremely high air flow means you needs an absolutely massive amount of pressure and flow in your fuel lines that it becomes inefficient to use injection, and more useful to use a carby.

I think I said this before, but you simply can't just take racing tech idealogy and then shove it in your road car expecting it to be the best solution when it might not be.

I think I shall withdraw from arguing about whether a chev beats toyota.

I am definitely not saying don't put a chev engine in your vehicle, I'm not even asking you to repent and say that toyota 6 force fed engines rock and chev are pants, I'm saying, be a little less divisive, the last thing any public forum needs is a tit for tat debate with some guy who's opinion is totally polarised from another individual's and tries with futiley to convince the other party that he is right, and the other guy is wrong.

Starting an opinionated debate is extremely counter-productive. This goes for people who are on Toyota's side on the debate as well, don't knock this guy's opinion, if you have an off-topic disagreement, then msg the guy personally and keep that mess out of what is supposed to be a constructive forum. Look how much shit is in this topic, and then how the useful information gets diluted.

And Robbo, have a bit of an open mind. Drag racing isn't the be all and end all of motoring, and neither are V8s the be all and end all engine - and for that matter, WRC isn't the be all and end all of motoring, and neither are force fed jap 4/6/rotors.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 February 2003 14:24]

TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What a sorry,sorry,sorry state this thread has turnred into.

Basically the theme of this has turned to EMISSIONS,EMISSIONS repeat EMISSIONS.

Who won what,what won where, this will run this won't, my grand ma's billy cart will beat yours is irrelivent.

Some very good advice above if you care to listen Robbo.

Best of luck
marty

[Updated on: Tue, 04 February 2003 14:26]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sorry about the above post, I realised I was joining the dickwad brigade (edit)after(/edit)I could change my mind about it being posted, it's been suitable edited now Sad

I'm a bit retarded tonight... Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 04 February 2003 14:30]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 February 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck me - three pages of bitchfest now?!!!? Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, ... or should that be Steve, Steve, Steve, ....?
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Wed, 05 February 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahah...hey i forgot to mention because my cars an 83 model my 302 engine is not 15 years older...someon mentioned that earlier? Ill admit carbies arent the most efficent way of intake, but it will get me started...if i feel like it in the future i might even convert to efi...yeah methanol would be good Laughing but i cant see that happening...i wont be racing it professionally anyway

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2003 07:35]

suprav8
Regular

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Wed, 05 February 2003 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
.......AHHH,....This thread is hell funny!.....
"YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CAN`T MAKE IT DRINK!" Smile
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Mon, 10 February 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey people more to the story... I must apologise for before...i wasnt to know my brother was using the computer...hes a litle shit and also got me blocked from ebay..i dont have time to read wat he said but no doubt it was all shit.
meanwhile, the block has arrived. Along with maincaps and the lot...need an inlet manifold, pistons and exhausts then make some brackets and engine mounts and she'll be in. Took measurements and this thing is smaller than the 5me! All that un-neccessary shit hanging off the side! Will keep you posted on the status...hopefully wont be too long.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2003 11:37]

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Sat, 15 February 2003 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone know a person/company that would make a good set of headers at the right price?
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Mon, 03 March 2003 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok people anyone know if sig erson are a nice cam?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Mon, 03 March 2003 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, first of all, no sht slinging from me, i promise.

First of all, have you looked up the relavant ADRs etc involves in the conversion, or actually spoken to an engineer (that is, a proper, qualified automotive engineer, liscenced to certify engine conversions)about what you intend to do?

i must admit that i would go by the "the engine has to be newer than the car"

or at least

"the engine must produce less/better emissions than the engine origionally in the car"

but i would talk to an engineer if i was unsure.

As for your engine being basically a boss 302, is it actually a boss? there is a lot of difference between (for example) a 4age bigport and a formula atlantic engine, or between the engine sitting in a sw20 halfcut and a BEAMS 3sgte engine you find under the bonnet of some lucky supras, as i'm sure there is a lot of difference between a garden variety and a boss 302 windsor.

You said something about the pre-emission 302s producing heaps of power, but your car is subject to emission regulations, and that is something you will have to live with.

As for hotting up the 302, you said something about "a 4 barrel inlet manifold" get a hold of a set of tunnel rams, there are two of these, each have a carby of their own. i think that would be a good way to go.

headers? go to any exhaust shop and ask them, look at old street machine, maybeye genie? pacemaker?

cams? go to some swapmeets, ballarat and bendigo are good for this sort of oldschool stuff.

i think that is about long enough, i'd nominate this thread to be put in the pool room, but its the wrong forum.

and here is the only reason i would put this particular engine in any car...

because it would sound good.

"vegetable rights and peace"

if all else fails, weld your bonnet shut and start saving for petrol money.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Mon, 03 March 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh got it. nah its a windsor block with cleveland heads...effectively a boss 302. I am running this on unleaded btw...so emissions wont be very bad.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Mon, 03 March 2003 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No No No

make sure you fit hardened valve seats so you can run it on unleaded/optimax.

AND TALK TO AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Mon, 03 March 2003 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robbo: when is your car going to be ready?

mine is getting done at the moment and should be ready in a couple of months. I was just wondering when it will be ready because i would also like to join the crew to race you at willowbank. Not to spite you or anything, just for fun and see how your 302 goes against my 1j. (which will be basically stock with a bit of boost.) what do you reckon?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Mon, 03 March 2003 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, forgot to mention that i have a corona not a supra.

look forward to your reply. Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROBBO_ma61 wrote on Mon, 03 March 2003 22:36

yeh got it. nah its a windsor block with cleveland heads...effectively a boss 302. I am running this on unleaded btw...so emissions wont be very bad.

Running it on unleaded will make no difference whatsoever; it will have horrible emissions, and it won't be even close to legal. Of course this has already been explained to you, but you seem determined to keep your head buried in the sand...
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the valve seats etc have all been hardened for unleaded. probably 6 months bassaholic. It all depends when i buy the parts and what parts i buy.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robbo, im not sure you understood what norbie said.

for your conversions sake please re-read it.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey smartass steel mentioned the valve seats etc had to be hardened for unleaded. I simly said they had been done. Pull ya head in and move on.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kewl! i will need some time to upgrade anyway? what times are you aiming for?
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent thouht about it really. probably low 13 to mid-late 12s if i do it all correctly. Put it this way i wont be happy unless i get under 12 secs.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2003 09:32]

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look if a car is quick i'll give credit where credit is due .but youve a few fatal mistakes already .

1. your quoting 60's style H.p figures .(engines where dynoed without as much as a fan belt on them on VERY biased engine dynos these where ALWAYS about 15 % too high

2. your quoting power on an engine built by someone else.with someone elses exhaust carby setup tuning fuel etc .THIS IS VERY GAME ..especially considering these where based on either OLD style leaded or race fuel

3. your qutoing 1/4 mile times wihtout a thought to diff ,tyres etc

4. even if you get get 290 h.p youll lose 30% through an old style tranny .Thats 203 H.p at the wheels .allowing for the BULLSHIT power figures that where around years ago .your looking more like 180

AND funny enough thats the power figures that most WELL BUILT ENGINES AS YOU HAVE DESCRIBED DO IN FACT MAKE

DONT EVEN BEGIN TO DREAM 13 SEC 1/4 MILE ...GO TO ANY DRAG STRIP WATCH THE SAME ENGINE RUN IN HEAVY CARS

They usually run HIGh 14 's

I have raced a capri in NEWCASTLE a few of you probably know it
that has a boss 302 .4v alloy heads 9 inch diff TRICk c4 .he has spent OVER $15,000 on engine and tranny alone

HIS BEST 1/4 mile run 12.9 ...oh yeah and i smoke him EVERY time

i can name 3 or 4 1js, 2 2js, a 7m, a 1ggte and a 4agte on this forum that would smoke me .AND THEY ARE ONLY THE ONES THAT I KNOW OF

FIRST BUILT YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU SHOOT YOUR MOUTH OFF

dont even try to compare this engine to a 1j ....a near stock 1j in your car would EASILY run a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile .........my wifes Cressida has run 12.8 and weighs with me in it 1655KG.

Good luck i hope your happy with your engine combo but your VERY arrogant and completly silly if you think comment like look out 1js will scare the 1j boys

i know of 20 1js on here that can run mid 13's

and when its all done ill come kick your arse with my wifes $3,000 (total) INSTALLED engine package

take your left hand off your keyboard and your right hand off your dick and go build this thing so that you can learn a lesson .

And before you even start ive built or helped bulit 6 v8's .and have a lot of respect for a quick v8 ....BUT YOU ARE A LONG LONG WAY FROM THAT

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2003 10:11]

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man piss off if u r gonna be a critical smartass. I havent stated anywhere wat I AM GOING to get. I said i will wait and see. Its a w58 manual box by the way. But hey yeah ill drag ya ass for sure when its all done.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2003 10:21]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tone it down Robbo, Blake, this is a public forum you keep mouthing off like you're a 5yo who's learnt a new word. Rolling Eyes

Actually, thats a pretty accurate description about all the constructive feedback people have given and your response.
"La la, la, la la...I can't hear you"
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a lot of the feedback has been constructive man. Or if it is someone else has come along and stuffed it up.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am sorry for asking what quarter mile times you are hoping for. Smile

whoever can do it, i think it is time to close this thread.

and ROBBO, just make sure you have checked with the engineer what you can and can't do. If you are allowed to do what you have proposed then good luck with the conversion.

later

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robbo , didnt you only 2 posts ago state you expected 12's from this frankenstein

- sorry not frankenstein, in that fairytale the beast actually got up and walked !!

Dont worry guys - we're wasting the pads of our fingers on this knob - the thing will never be registered - we all know it.

Get over it !

Matt

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, maybe the fact you're going to run it on unleaded with a carby and hope to get within hoo-haa of the emissions required.
That has been some pretty important feedback that you keep looking at but ignoring so...
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i said what i expected not wat i will get. Dont worry this is being done properly, thats why its taking so long. Anyway im not gonna waste my time anymore, all ive heard about here is emissions, emissions and more emissions. end of thread, ill open another one if i need to know something specific.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To quote my hero, Homer J. Simpson:

"It's funny 'cos I don't know him."

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your just a little boy with a dream and a slow car

keep going this just gets funnier

i love this story but just remember to turn the page when tinkerbell rings her little bell like this ...RING,RING,RING,RING!!!!!

i love fairy tales ...quick get of the internet your mummys calling its WAAY past your bedtime

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Tue, 04 March 2003 21:34

To quote my hero, Homer J. Simpson:

"It's funny 'cos I don't know him."

now that IS funny !!

Matt

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As much as I love watching you guys pissing in the wind - id just like to make the point that people have made good points here - re engineeer stuff - ALOT have tried to save you alot of trouble and money if everything goes belly up - and your left with a car you can only drive on the dragstrip - and be stuck with somehting sad like a hyundai as your daily driver

Everything in QLD like this needs certifying - and a blue plate - hell i had to visit engineers just to show them id put seats onthe original celica rails in the original bolt holes with the original bolts - and that took me three hours of scrutineering for a job that was done in 30 minutes ..

For this conversion - what they mean by emissions is not only how much fuel the car will use - or what seats it has in the valves - or what fuel its on - its more along the lines of is it WORSE that the original equipment - and if so - you can pretty much put a big X next to this project - save your money - put the 302 on a post 80's car or a falcon / cortina - and have merry merry fun with v8's that way ..

people have suggested checking with an engineer time and time again - not just one - but a few - just to cover your arse. For all i know the QLD RTA might say fine - go ahead and have a ball - OR you may need to look at different exhaust setups - inductions systems ( ie EFI instead of your carby ) catalytic converters ,seam wleding , chassis strengthening - all sorts of
fancy shit like that whic would result in a huge bill that you could have gone out and bought yourself say an ED XR* - or a Genuine XB GT.

Please - for your own sake - just take a breather - check your options - and maybe even get a scan of the approval before you undertake the project - to put all your doubters to fear ..

Personally id love to see the V8 in the supra - I just dont see it happening with your current Old School carby setup
Robbos mummy
Newcomer

March 2003
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
come on robbo get off the internet

stop annoying these big boys how many times have i told you to play with Children your own age

One day when you grow up you can learn all about cars yourself
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahahaah ur first thread...ok mummy. Classique thanks for your positive input. i will continue researching...i havent done much for this car engine wise yet...so i have plenty of time to ask people, check out things etc etc.
Robbos mummy
Newcomer

March 2003
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how many times have i told you robbo stop pulling that thing youll go blind
robbosgaybrother
Newcomer

March 2003
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come to bed Robbo, let me play with you some more. Don't talk to these nasty men with their Toyota engines. Come play with my 302 powered FWD Hyundai with Altezza tail lights, and my 4 inch tail pipe if you know what I mean.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods - check it out mate - youll be sure at least what avenue you can take ..

youll either end up with a v8 monsta supra - or at least have a idea of where to go next ..

no point building the motor up and spending big dollars if its not going to have a suitable home
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grins - just as a side note - was reading up on old 60's muscle cars and there was a quite along the lines of " if you roll up beside a boss or a Mach 1 - you would expect to be smoked " they were the kings of their day back when fuel consumption was a second thought - and horsepower meant at least 6 litres or go home Wink

the Shelby gt500's were renouned for killing cross plys in a matter of seconds Smile

4 mustangs id love to have in my garage :

the 1969 428 super cobra jet " r pack " to date fords most powerful ever street motor

Shelby Gt500 - 1967 or 69 ( mm elenor - PS - shelby are actually making elenor ! - no joke - for 250 thousand dollars they will find a suitable 67 fastback - and build " elanor " in 3 different trim levels - the original GT500 specs - a track version - or the full house 7 litre big block with NOS!! - 800 horsies !!! )

1965 convertible - candy apple red !

Any of the 69 to 70 bosses 302, 351 , or 429 !

Another note - the Phase 3 GHTO falcon - was the undisputed fastest 4 door production car in the world up until the mid ninties - When HSV stole the thunder with the GTS-R commodore. Tides are turining in favour of the fords though again .

It took another maker nearly 30 yars to topple the GTHO! not bad for an old aussie hunk of metal with skinny tyres - and more body-roll than a fat chick Wink * jokes - not my quote !!*

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lovely...yeah not many other people on here know or just ignore that these engines werent just ur plane on pushrod v8...but im not one to have the patience to convince so its people like u classique and i who can honestly say these engines r still alive n breathing.
robbosgaybrother
Newcomer

March 2003
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But Robbo I love these engines as much as your big thick....tailpipe.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a life dude.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods - in their day they were the thing to have - now its turboed Supras and GTr's etc that cause the havoc Smile

Technology moves on - i dont think they will ever kill off the muscle car - it just will come in different guises, and the good ones - like the early mustangs , corvettes , camaros , Dodge magnums , And now todays supras , GTR's etc will be remembered Smile

Laughs - just think - in 30 years time they will be calling the GTR a classic - and the supra will be the big wingeed wonder like the Roadrunner dodges of the 60's

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eh eh well have to wait n see...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROBBO_ma61 wrote on Tue, 04 March 2003 23:22

not many people on here know or just ignore that these engines werent just ur plane on pushrod v8

maybe its cause YOURE ON THE WRONG FORUM....
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Tue, 04 March 2003 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoever the **** robbosgaybrother and mummy is, you are wasting your time and server space, and in fact, the energy required for you to type those messages, and the wasted kJ I'm having to spend telling you to ****ing grow up. Now I agree personally that putting a 302 in a Supra is pretty much sacrilege, but that doesn't mean I should come up with lame ass jokes that no one would laugh at except for a few 12 y.o. pre-pubescent retards. I seriously hope that this isn't your best attempt at humour, and perhaps you are trying to make some joke about people who make jokes like that. But then, I doubt your capable of that level of subtle humour.

But as the real point of this post, ROBBO, your car isn't going to be a drag car if you want it permissable on the street. It'll hit maybe mid 14s or even low 15s down the strip if you get it anywhere close to street legal emissions. The reason people put toyota 1Js into their supras is because you can get absolutely ridiculous performance for a fraction of the emissions required to get that same level of performance out of the thermally and mechanically inefficient design of the old american V8s.

The "waiting and seeing" part is already over for me. I know almost for a fact that when you put a street legal 1Js into a supra and put that next to a street legal 302 in a supra, then the V8 will look pedestrian once the 1Js hit boost. Not that I don't think it's an interesting idea to put a 302 into a Supra, it's still sacrilege, but I'd be putting on fuel injection so that I can get closer to street legal emissions without losing 100hp or more trying to do it with a carby.

This is obviously only my thoughts on the matter, and I could be wrong in my beliefs about the text below, but that's what forums are for, to read and take into account other people advice. Whether you act upon this advice or not is up to you, whether people tell me I'm stupid or ignore me, is up to them.

The one recommendation I can make to you (if you want HP and to be able to drive it on the street) is to ditch the carby setup. I know it's cheap to use carbies, hell I love the sound of a carby, *but* you said yourself this job is to be done properly, and believe me when I say - the proper way to do it would be to put on some fuel injection. Sure fuel injection is expensive, but it may even take less time than it would to get all the carby settings right for street level emissions and you'd get way more hp too.

The second recommendation that I would make to you, is don't buy a wild ass camshaft (the kind that made these engines sound and go absolutely awesome in their day) without using EFI thinking that will make your car "rule", because - again I'm taking into account you want legal emissions - it'll be a huge prick to tune the carby for (and it's a huge prick with EFI as well no doubt about that, possibly more of a prick) and it may even end up costing you HP with the simple carby setup to get emissions at the right level at idle mid range and up top etc.

EFI is FAR more tuneable than a carby is, and I said before it's true you can get good HP out of carbies in really high flow and pressure situations like 9000rpm drag engines, or even normal engines, but it all comes down to emissions and that's why I think you should investiage fitting EFI to the engine, *at least* check out prices and dyno tuning costs and talk to some real experts about injection vs carby in street applications (don't know where these kind of people are in queensland) because from my limited knowledge you'd be seriously foolish not to do so, and I can almost guarantee you'll get better street legal performance with EFI over carby.

If you want to do it the cheap way, then expect cheap results like high 14s/low 15s down the quarter with street legal emissions, if you want to do the "proper job", then investiage fuel injection.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Wed, 05 March 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't bothered much with this thread to date, as it seems more a "kids" thing...and not much has changed recently.

Still, might I make a suggestion which may make life easier for Robbo, and perhaps attract less (albeit justifiable) heat from others?

Robbo, have you considered sourcing a fuel-injected Windsor of the type used in mid-80's - early 90's F-series Ford utes?
Firstly, they "should" be closer in emissions to the engine you're pulling out of the Supra (Others, correct me if I'm wrong here).
Secondly, they are relatively easy to come by. (Just have a look thorugh the "Parts Peddler" magazine at the number of American V8 importers there, you'll get an idea.
Thirdly, Being a "newer" engine, you may well spend less in re-building costs etc (and almost certainly engineering costs) to get it actually running...

Think about it this way. A stock EB V8 (running an injected Windsor) puts out 165KW (crank) versus, for example, a mid-70's pollution-equipped 351, which puts out 144KW. (Your engine, as proposed, will be configured similarly to the mid-70's engine mentioned above).

There's plenty of after-market stuff available for the injected Windors - the last of which were around 220KW in the AU XR8s...

Anyway, it's something you should seriously consider...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 302 has arrived! Wed, 05 March 2003 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Biased, the Windsor thing was mentioned to Robbo about 2 pages back.
I actually think Robbo is the biggest and longest lived troll Toymods has yet seen. Surely the nonsense spouted on the last 3 pages can't be for real.

Robbo = Al Qaeda.

The war on terror has begun.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Wed, 05 March 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.ready.gov/i/expl_vis_smoke2.gif
Are your Boss 302 emissions not up to scratch? Get down on the floor and crawl out of the garage

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2003 05:11]

Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 302 has arrived! Wed, 05 March 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2003 08:17]

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:modify KE30
Next Topic:4A-GE conversion help needed!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:26:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011981964111328 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.