Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1.5JZ Questions Sun, 09 February 2003 11:22 Go to next message
I'm doing some reaserch on the 1.5JZ possible upgrade path.
Does anyone know which head gasket to use on the 1.5JZ (2J bottom end, 1J head)?
The head gaskets are slightly different so they may impact something unknown to me at the moment.
Anyone here ever built a 1.5JZ?
Also, anyone familiar with the oil pump modification to stop blowing seals at high rpm on 2JZ's?

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2003 07:21]

Send a private message to this user    
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 11 February 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahem....*bump*.....anyone?
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 11 February 2003 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it will be a matter of "suck it and see". I want to build a 2JZGE/1J engine, using my turbo,wastegate and computer.

I think it would work really well if the compression was around 9.0:1, with 1 BAR or so.
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 11 February 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny

I've seen some discussion about this before and the consensus was that they had to use the 2JZ head gasket. It was something about the return oil galleries from memory.

Pete

When you were comparing heads did you notice anything different. I seem to remember you had photos of the heads - was there a shot from underneath at all.

Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 11 February 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete
Sounds like you've got a good streetable plan. 1 bar would have to be about the limit with a 9:1 compression ratio, but can you resist the temptation to wind it up more?

Deesonet
Thanks - I'm still waiting for the 2J to clear quarantine so I haven't even seen the differences under the head in relation to the 1J. Do you recall where you saw this discussion ? - info on the 1.5JZ is pretty lean unless you can read Japanese, even with a translation engine.

I'm told the intake manifold side is the same as a 1J as well as valve sizes and spacing, just the exhaust side has differences.

Can you guys recommend what work I should do on the 1J head before fitting it to the 2J block, eg Cleaning, cc'ing, checks, porting etc ?

Thanks in advance
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 11 February 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you guys say 2J, do you mean GE or GTE? I have plenty of pics of a 2JZGE head. Can email them to you if you want.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2003 12:47]

Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 11 February 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm referring to the GTE in my questions - I believe Pete's referring to the GE for his project.
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 12 February 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intake side of a 2JZGTE is NOT the same as a 1JZGTE. I Have compared the two heads. The Bore spacing, compression height of the pistons and head bolt holes are the same, as are the valve sizes.

The cams have the same lift, but i am unsure of the duration.

All of the above is 1st hand info.

The 2J head has some more cooling pockets around the edges of the combustion chamber. That was all i could see from my brief inspection. (thanks again HCCA)
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 12 February 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave, swing me some pics of the 2JZGE heads combustion chamber i.e. Gasket Face, if your keen.

petew@austarnet.com.au

While you are there swing me one of your surplus 2JZGE's!!!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 12 February 2003 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete will send shots. Take note that they'll be a little 'modified'.
Are you after a whole donk or just a bottom end?
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 12 February 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only want a block,crank,rods and pistons ( A really 'short motor' in other words). No sump or head.

Oil pump might be needed, i am unsure of this.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 12 February 2003 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete
Thanks for the info on the intake side - lot's of conflicting info around, nice to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Guys
Any feedback on the prep for the head before it goes on the 2J?
Any knowledge of the apparent oil pump issue on the seals as reported by some yanks?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 12 February 2003 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a pic of my 2JZGE head.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/head%20surface.jpg
The head has been machined by 0.8 mm.

Pete, I only have one bottom end to suit rebuild (motor was submarined at some stage) - the rest are complete engines, and I was hoping to set that up for 2004 season. I'm sure you could get a bare 2JZGE up there for 6-700.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 12 February 2003 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
humble has a 2JZ-GTE head u might be able to coax him into getting some pics of it.
Tank
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 13 February 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey sorry for the hijack but what are the pro and cons of this type of motor set up ?
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 13 February 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm. I can only see pro's!!! You tell me the bad points of adding 500cc's.

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petew/headsurface.jpg

1: This is the extra cooling around the combustion chamber i was talking about.

2: The 1J has more alluminium on both sides of the combustion chamber. This would really increase the compression of a 1.5JZ because of the smaller chamber and more swept volume. To what degree i am unsure. (If i was not so lazy i would CC my head.)

[Updated on: Thu, 13 February 2003 06:30]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 13 February 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's interesting Pete. Do you have any pics of the 1JZGTE head to compare? Humble (Nishad) has torn down one of his 2JZGTEs and sent me some pics, which I will put up tomorrow night (I'm at work till 8 tomorrow morning).
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 13 February 2003 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete,

Mate, it'd be great if you could post some pictures of the 1JZ-GTE head (from intake, exhaust, cam and combustion chamber sides). I would love to not have to buy a 1JZ head to compare the heads. I just want to see how the heads look in comparison to validate where they stand with respect to eachother.

Cheers
Nishad
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Fri, 14 February 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll see whether i can borrow a mates digicam to take some more pics.

When i took pics last time i was more interested in the 2JZGTE head and cams than my 1J head.

I do have this pic from above.

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petew/2Z&1Jtop.jpg

LHS is 1J.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2003 07:44]

deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Fri, 14 February 2003 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny

There is some discussion about the 1.5JZ at
http://www.i-supra.com
Look in the 1JZGTE Section.

Some comments include"

1.5j = 1jz head gasket, bolt holes align, water jacket does not. Must run most 2jz items, such as injector specification, fuel delivery, and maps. Remeber you're now basically running a full 2JZGTE. The only thing you'd be gaining in the 2J bottom would be the (a.) the availability of oem and aftermarket parts (b.) the possibility of running an oem twin turbo setup (c.) the tremendous amount of torque you'd be gaining. These things in exchange for the problems you'd run into (a.) aftermarket fuel delivery for the 1J top - HKS fuel rail does not fit (b.) what ecu to use - will the maps and such support the displacement/timing/fuel and any other things?"

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Fri, 14 February 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a pick of Nishad's 2JZGTE head (combustion chamber side). I have about a zillion pics of this engine in various stages of teardown so PM/email me if you want pics.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/2JZGTE%20head.jpg
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

icon5.gif  Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sat, 15 February 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You GianTomato.. you hooked up with TexasToys? I'm emailin them to see about ads/entries for my Toyota Tuner project heh...
and Pete; (and all) have I got this right?..
2JZGE bottom end (fairly common, super tough)
1JZGTE top end/in/ex, inj's, etc...
All s'posed to bolt up, giving turbo on 9:1?
Sort of like a late-model 20R/22R hybrid?
I'm curious now - I'll look ionto the popularity of 1JZs here, since I'm investigating possibilities for teh eventuality that I *will* pop the 5ME after the turbo/NOx game in the next season or two.. lol.
7M bolts in, so why not the JZ huh? Easier than the 1G or the V8(on another post) lol.

Seriously, anyone mind summarizing the benefits over a straight 1J or 2J for me? Thanks...
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sat, 15 February 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok - I really shoulda refreshed the message board before posting that.. lol.
Sorry.
But the summary seems kinda scattered - why not (really) use the 1J top end and controls, tehn modify those?
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sat, 15 February 2003 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My reasoning for the 1.5JZ is that i have a single turbo manifold to suit 1J, but not 2J. Hence it is the easy way into a 2JZ.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sat, 15 February 2003 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah you'd only stick with the 1j head if you have worked it surely.. and stuff like manifolds etc.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sun, 16 February 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deesonet
Thanks for the heads up on the Supra link - another one added to the bookmark list.

Humble
Thanks for the pics.
We spoke about your 2J before X'mas when you were considering selling it to me. Seeing as you're close by in Sydney, would you be interested in physically comparing my 1J head gasket with your 2J head gasket? Same with CC'íng the combustion chambers?

In my view, the benefit of the 1.5JZ conversion is of course the extra capacity and low down torque potential in a heavy car like the Soarer. I'm prepared to scarifice some of the reviness of the 1J for the everyday benefit of the 1.5J. I am currently making plenty of torque/power on the 1J - I would however prefer to make more of it lower in the rev range now with potential for more up top easier.
The benefit of the 1J head to me is I can retain my existing investment on the exhaust side - twin hybrid turbos, pipework, plumbing, exhaust, dumps etc. It will also still look stock to the boys in blue. If required and if funds permit, I can look at custom manifolds/turbos (GT2835s) on the 2J head later. I can handle the fuelling, ignition and ECU alternations required for the 1.5/2J at present.
Thank you all for your ongoing contribution to my queries.
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sun, 16 February 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is what is so whacky on the US Forums... They seem to love buzz words, 1JZ ohh ahh, 1.5JZ oh ahh more!

Really it's a very limited to who this upgrade path is really open too..

If you already have a 1JZ it makes sence if you want to upgrade to 3L to just get the 2JZ shortblock.

What alot of the Japanese guys are doing is there 1JZ JZA70 Supras are getting some kms on them now and hey it's most likely cheaper to drop in a new 2JZGTE Shortblock new from Toyota in there and rebuild the 1JZ. It's a Win Win, however you get these guys that just want a 1.5JZ and waste a shitload of money where it would have been better to go straight to 2JZ. Makes me cringe when people on there spout crap about the 1.5JZ or even the 1JZ.

Rant off.

So Pete how is your Kingy going?
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 18 February 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yar billy....

I'm asking, as someone who doesn't have *either* 1J or 2J, if it is logical to do the hybrid - if there is a real reason for it in and of itself.
Over here we put 20R heads (better flow, tight chambers) on 22R short block (more displacement) and run 20R/21R double row camchains for the bigass lumpy cams.
This is what I see as a reasonable 'hybrid'
IF (!!) the 1J head has no advantage over the 2J, or the only reason for this is displacement, I'll just get what's le$$...
For now.
The 1UZ (only other real option for headgame-type psychoimpact in an MA47) is still a tad pricey new or used.
And add that I could run the J series of my analog EFI if I get creative...lol
Laughing
(gotta get a smiley what looks like yer head under 4G's of accelleration)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 18 February 2003 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, there's nothing special about a 1.5JZ. As explained elsewhere, it's mostly done by people with worn-out 1JZ's. If you don't have a 1JZ to begin with, a 1.5JZ is not for you; just buy a 2JZ and be done with it!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 18 February 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FreaK wrote on Tue, 18 February 2003 15:22

The 1UZ (only other real option for headgame-type psychoimpact in an MA47) is still a tad pricey new or used.
And add that I could run the J series of my analog EFI if I get creative...lol

Allan doesn't frequent the forums anymore, but I'm sure you'd make a beautiful couple. Very Happy
He has an MA45 with a 7MGTE.

If you have nothing buy one or the other, but don't bother sourcing the bits to make a hybrid (unless you're like Allan where the bits fall in your lap!). The hybrid only makes sense if you have a 1J that you have invested a lot of effort in.
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 18 February 2003 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pics:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petew/intake.jpg

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petew/Chamber.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 18 February 2003 10:29]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 18 February 2003 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee, they do skimp out on the cooling passages don't they?
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 18 February 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes and no, Dave.

If you look at the way the gasket seats you will see that on a 2J the gasket blocks of all but a small hole (6-8mm) of the cooling passages that suround the combustion chamber.

You would have to sectionize the head to see the actual differences.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 February 2003 11:16]

FreaK
Regular

September 2002

icon10.gif  Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 18 February 2003 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yuppers - Allan, Rob, a dood named Damon in the USA, at least one other - all with a 7M of some type in an MA.
Been emailing around, I had a 7MGE "fall into my lap" - a speed shop had "no use" for one, customer transplanted a GTE complete..
Oops - I was *rooming* at the time, and couldn't take it home. Gave it to someone else.... oh well.

But having worked in the junkyards here, I have a few people who will cut me serious deals on Toyota parts (sent some bits over to a guy named Stephan in Taz) but we have a *serious* lack of JZA chassis in the local area - most crashes go to the bigger city, or get sold out as racerboy parts.

So I'm on the hunt for a (financially)logical solution, unless we ever get a BUDGET for my magazine - then the Project Bloo Dragon will get the 2JZTT treatment and damn the posers.

500 RWHP in a 2600 pound car? WHEEEEEEEE!
For you over there that'd be like 373KW on the ground in a 1200KG ride.. maybe lighter if I can figure out whet else I don't need in there. lol.

So thanks for the info onthe 1.5JZ - I'll keep looking!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 19 February 2003 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there's lots you dont need.... rear seats, passenger seats, carpets, noise dampening ... the list goes on Smile
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 19 February 2003 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the car scaled at 2800lbs even on a scale designed to +/- 5pound accuracy (for metal shipping)
And so I've deleted a few non-essential systems, but the interior is getting gutted and rebuilt in my own style (yes folks, urban cammo) And then I'm adding in teh ICE and control systems, as well as the safety gear to allow for passing the tech in any race class I enter (so top-line safety, heavy.)
Probly what we call 90-wall (0.90 inch thickness) 1.5 inch (i think) roll cage (6 point minimum) so that will add a chunk.
The stock seats are all coming out, as well as teh A/C and many other items.
The floor of the hatch area might need to be cut (so so unfortunate) I hate ctting good sheet metal on a car like this.
But we gonna need room for a fuel cel instead of teh stock tank.
The bumpers will prolly get replaced with something with an aluminum core, and the rest of the wieght saving is in items like replacing the rear 3 windows with plexi, possible fiberglass fenders and hood, and mass centralization for increased rotational ability.
All teh mass will be centered int eh passenger compartment - increasing the handling and lowering the CG even if the car doesn't really LOSE weight. heh

I figure that with all the items going back IN, there will be a real minimum of savings, but the overall will be better.

Now the game is, what frikken engine to run!?!? lol.
OB1 JZA70
Newcomer

July 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 26 February 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been running the 1.5 JZ GTE for about a year now. It has the best torque curve I have ever seen out of a six cylinder. I have been able to muster 1.6 sixty foot times on mere drag radials and 11:02 @ 128 1/4 miles in a car weight of 3810lbs with my in it. The biggest benefit for me to do this swap was because I lucked up and got a set of Blitz K26 twin turbos off of a junk Soarer front clip. Talk about still being blown away about it. If anyone has any more questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Orin B Sr
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 26 February 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You realise you have just become the envy of all 1JZ owners in this forum by mentioning "Blitz K26 twin turbos".

If you ever get sick of them, can I have them ? Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 26 February 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or me? Smile
OB1 JZA70
Newcomer

July 2002

icon9.gif  Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 27 February 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Wed, 26 February 2003 17:13

You realise you have just become the envy of all 1JZ owners in this forum by mentioning "Blitz K26 twin turbos".

If you ever get sick of them, can I have them ? Smile

Guess what folks, they are for sale. I am selling the freshended up Blitz K26s with headers and downpipes. Basically everything to the intercooler hard pipe. fittings and all for whom ever interested. Please email me at SXSHUTR@yahoo.com
Orin B Sr

http://speedtoys.com/~suprasport/ATL2K2/P9200023.JPG Shocked
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 27 February 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so tempting....
must resist, and spend money on more important things (like rego, insurance, and engineering)
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Tue, 04 March 2003 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, getting a little closer.
According to Orin, using the 2JZ-GTE headgasket raises the compression ration from 8.5:1 to 9.0:1 - anyone see any problems with this? What are the consequences of a higher comp ratio? More propensity to ping? Need to run less boost? Off-boost performance increase/decrease?
Thanks in advance.
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 05 March 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will have better off boost performance, you will need to lower your boost threshold slightly.

Why are you going 1.5 JZ and not just for a 2J??
OB1 JZA70
Newcomer

July 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Wed, 05 March 2003 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete wrote on Wed, 05 March 2003 22:46

It will have better off boost performance, you will need to lower your boost threshold slightly.

Why are you going 1.5 JZ and not just for a 2J??

Off boost is as quick as a modded 7M GE or better and on boost is a tire shredding experience. 1,2,and mid way through 3rd are all but useless as far as street traction are concerned. The traction limit is the only downfall I see with doing the hybrid. I have ran 26 psi constant for a while with no sign of detonating and 102 octane unleaded. I am planning on running 32 PIS this year with my Tec III and 112 leaded race fuel at the track. So with the hemispherical head and the pent-roof design of the valve chamber, I see no real problem with running big boost numbers.. HTH.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 06 March 2003 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete,
I'd assume he's going a 1.5JZ instead of a 2JZ as he can keep all of his ancillaries and other stuff from the 1JZ.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 06 March 2003 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete
Thanks for your advice.
As mentioned above, the decision to go for the 1.5JZ is simple. Cost - I've invested a considerable about of money in hybrid Garret GT28/CT12A turbos. They run off the stock exhaust manifold which will allow them to be retained on a 1J head and not on a 2J head.
If I decide to rip the CT12A housings off at a later point, build GT2835 equivalents and run external gates on a custom manifolds, I can use the 2J head. But for now, I'd rather save the 5K+ investment in such a move and use it towards beter engine management.
I also decided not to get the 2J turbos with the long motor so they are not an option for me.
I believe 1.5JZ will give me better low down torque and the off boost flexibility I want with a heavy Soarer and allow more power to be made at lower boost.
A 1.5JZ will also look stock in the engine bay as opposed to a 2JZ which would attract the attention of the boys in blue.
The only downside is loosing the reviness of the 1JZ.

Orin
Appreciate the clarification.
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 06 March 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, ok manny. I had no idea you'd gone to so much trouble already.

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 06 March 2003 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Manny ,

I would really liketo her about your turbo mods.

I dont want to replace mine with stock and are looking for an option, that is not a big single.

Any info would be appreciated, esp. cost and performance as wel as who dunnit.

email me please !!!!

yojimbo@tpg.com.au

Thanks

Matt

Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 06 March 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey manny post some photo's of your turbo upgrade, This is why i need the extra 500cc's.

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petew/Photoop.jpg

Somehow i don't think that is a TD06!!!

Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Fri, 07 March 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete
No sweat. You sure you're going to get that baby to turn with just 3.0L? Smile

Matt
Setup is a pair of Garret GT28 ball bearing cores mated to modified CT12A exh and comp housings. Wastegates have been enlarged and replaceemnt higher capacity actuators fitted. Housings have been machined to accept slighly larger HKS steel comp and exh wheels.
Turbos fit in place of stockies, use standard mounts and pipework and look stock, except for the braided oil feeds and custom water cooling, to the untrained eye.
They are apparently rated to 350HP each and can handle 30psi before becoming inefficient.
They spool marginally slower than the stockies and maintain a nice gradual onset of boost up to the 7500 rpm redline.
They pushed 199rwkw at 0.8 bar and 243rwkw at 1.2 bar on factory ecu running a SAFC with a high duty cycle on the injectors. Stock ignition and fuelling issues stop it making more power without risking damage.
I wanted to avoid the big single issues whilst investing in something I could build on later - In the future I can always remove the CT12A housings and fit Garret housings of choice on a custom manifold running external gate(s) whilst retaining my investment in the cores; something like HKS GT2835R clones look attractive with a 3.0L bottom end.
Speak to Brett at GCG Turbos for options and cost.
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 27 March 2003 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked
Pete:

You *are* joking, riiiight?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 27 March 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete! What a great photoshop....I hope! Shocked
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 27 March 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfff, photoshop?? I have a hard time using Internet explorer.

It is a Komatsu KT110, just resting on my single turbo manifold. It may be a fraction too big, it's exhaust A/R is 2.60.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 27 March 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So pete... which truck did you steel that thing off. Hope he wasn't a big grisly guy thats now going to be hunting you down.

and many.... what are you plans for your old bottom end???

any chance of seeing it in the forsale section?
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Thu, 27 March 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cost me $90 at a swap meet. (Who knows where it is from)

Bought it for my bookcase, still need to polish the comp cover.
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: 1.5JZ Questions Fri, 28 March 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak
WOOT!
hook it up DOOD!

Get someone to mill you a quickie adapter - the blog to a cruise with a bigass blowoff...

Just for kicks one night.

Even if it is a dogass for the time (you can't leave it, burn up yer brake booster by the looks...)

I would. But then I been looking to get ANY turbos I can afford (AKA steal them almost) lol

Got boost?
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Fri, 28 March 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remedy
No plans for the old motor. If someone offers a few $$ I'd part with it. I had a complete motor in the for sale section and I got dicked around for weeks by tyre kickers - ended up parting it and sold the ancillaries for almost double what I wanted for the whole motor, so no great loss I suppose.
Do you want a bottom end?
I've got one in the shed with 83K on it - it's where I got the head from for the 1.5JZ so I can still run around with my current motor whilst the 1.5JZ is being built.
Also have a complete stock motor with 17K on in storage in case
I need to bring the car back to stock one day.
Eventually I'll gave my current motor spare as well.
I just want a spare Soarer sump from either of the two motors.
Whichever one I've left will possibly go to John in Mel as I've already offered him a short motor for next years land speed record runs on the salt lakes in South Oz.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sat, 29 March 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn Manny, every time I want to convert to manual, I need a new set of tyres that sets me back another $1k...
Not entirely related to your post above, but it just reminded me of doing it. I drove a manual trans car for the first time in a year and damn did it feel great. It made me want to sell the Soarer and get a manual one.
Know of any '95+ models for sale ?
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sun, 30 March 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldn't drive an auto - it would take all the pleasure of driving away from me.
Not many 95+ manual Soarers around. The odd good 97+ shows up from the boutique importers but for 50K+!
91-93 seems to have been the bumper period of the MT Soarers. Try and find yourself a stock example if you can in GT-TL trim.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1.5JZ Questions Sat, 11 December 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
To rehash an old thread, how did you go with this Manny?

I have a spare 2JZGE block and im thinking about buying a 1JZGTE. Just thought swapping over the bottom ends wouldn't be too much hassle, however does the GTE bottom end have any differences for turbo oil feeds to the GE bottom end?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thermostat Gasket ? Where from. Needed soon
Next Topic:Alternative to buying orig. rubber seals ... to fix leaks
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:52:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083858966827393 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.