Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
schneidg
Occasional Poster

June 2002

icon5.gif  Seeking 3TG pistons Fri, 14 June 2002 10:51 Go to next message
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a supplier of pistons/rings for a Toyota 3TG-GTEU motor. Does anyone know of anyone in Australia (preferrably Perth) who sells these?

My engine has been bored to 86mm, so I would ideally like an oversized set to that size. Otherwise, I will sleeve it back to 85mm if that's the only size I can still get.

The pistons are for a turbo application. Another option is any aftermarket 2TG pistons specifically for turbos?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Regards

Gene Schneider
  Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Fri, 14 June 2002 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read some old posts, its been covered I think.

You can't use 2TG pistons, wrong height. You sort of have to get custom forged pistons costing $1200 I am told. Try toyota for factory 3TGTE pistons also. Or maybe you can use 3T pistons machined to suit, but this would be a very cheap option, and not good for turbo. Call Sean Maloney and he will definetly have a solution.
schneidg
Occasional Poster

June 2002

icon7.gif  Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Fri, 14 June 2002 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Jonny,

I will give Sean a call next week, as well as a couple of other leads.

I'm curious that you say that 2TG pistons wont do, as the mechanic rebuilding my engine (apparently used to be part of the Toyota Rally Team mechanics years ago) has suggested using the 3TG pistons in my 2TGEU motor which is being rebuilt. Would the wrong height likewise mean that he couldn't use 3TG pistons in a 2TG?

The main reason for him wanting to do this, is so that they are the right compression and strong enough for handling the turbo on mine. Perhaps it would be better to seek aftermarket pistons for a 2TG for turbocharging?

Any advice/contacts there?

I will definitely follow-up with Sean, etc. too.

Thanks for your reply

Gene
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Sat, 15 June 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ACL make pistons for 3TGTE's, theyre cast, not forged, and seem to be more reliable than factory toyota ones. dunno if they do oversize though, i would assume so.

I've got forged ROSS pistons in mine, they cost approx $1300 with gapless race rings, and are supposed to be as tough as nails, but they are noisy.... mine is 86mm too.

Phil
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Sat, 15 June 2002 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My plan now is to use ACL 3T-C pistons and machine the valve reliefs. I wonder if ACL do a 3T-GTE piston in a decent compression ratio for N/A use? probably not.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Sat, 15 June 2002 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm *fairly* certain they are the stock 7.8:1 compression, but it wouldnt hurt to call and check
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Sun, 16 June 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As per before try Sean Moloney in Melbourne 03 94285277.
Becarful of people selling rebuild kits for 3tg, you may get all the gaskets but some use decompressed N/A pistons (slots in piston at oil ring as opposed to drilled holes at oil ring in turboed pistons) and they don't last long, trust me I know Sad .
Or get some forged ones made, had ross racing made for mine, sent a sample piston away and recived 4 nice shiney new ones with gapless rings and pins for the grand total of $1280.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2002 23:08]

schneidg
Occasional Poster

June 2002

icon7.gif  Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Mon, 17 June 2002 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the very useful information guys.

I've tried contacting ACL for pistons for a 3T-GTEU, but they don't seem to have any listed. Just for 3T-C. Does anyone have any reference or part numbers for the pistons for the 3T-GTEU turbo pistons specifically as I'd like to follow-up on this option?

I've also contact Sean Moloney, and he was very helpful, and said he could get standard Toyota pistons for me ($650-700) or have some custom forged pistons made similar to stock for approx $1,400. Can anyone vouch for Sean's ability to deliver good on this? Just a bit wary since I'm in WA, and I wouldn't want to get a set of bodged N/A pistons. That's why I'm in this position now!

I can also get custom forged pistons made by Ross, but then I guess whatever you want going the custom route.

Once again, thanks guys.

Once my car's back on the road, I'll get some new pics to show off on the Web site. Although, some of you guys have cars that are pretty amazing!

Gene
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Mon, 17 June 2002 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have experience, but I did ring Sean M. the other day, I expect he is the most releiable person when it comes to 2TG/3TG/18RG engines. If you get anything from him, he will be sure to send you the right part. But the custom forged pistons he was talking about probably are Ross pistons. So if you know exactly what you want, custom pistons would be cheaper dirrect from the manufacturer. He also sells N/A 3TG pistons, for $450 with rings. He gets standard 3T-C pistons (he didn't reviel the brand, a secret, probably just ACL) and he machines them to suit the 2TG, and to your compression ratio.
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Mon, 17 June 2002 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Purchased my engine bearings from Sean all geniune toyota for 3tg. He ran through the numbers on the block and crank to make sure they were correctly sized as each one is a different size and then he posts them once you've paid and they turned up on the day he said.

That price of $1280 for pistons, rings and pins is a bit cheap as a mate of mine who used to work for repco did it as an outside order using the repco account.

A sample piston (as factory 3tg have 3 different size pistons) was sent to ross racing in america (we had heard the australia ross pistons were not as good), they made an oversized and decompressed version of the sample piston and sent the hole lot back in a matter of 4 weeks (i think).

Ring Sean and find out who makes his pistons for him. If it's $1400 for forged pistons, rings and pins it may not be a bad price ? Depending on the brand. Don't use modified 3tc pistons, they won't last Nope . Toyota won't have parts listing for 3tg as this motor was never deliveried in a local car.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Mon, 17 June 2002 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn! I never got the part number for the ACL 3TGTE pistons. when my motor was getting rebuilt, there was another 3TG in there, which the mechanic had just received the ACL pistons. they looked just like the factory ones, with the crown, and a valve relief on each side, but were slotted, not drilled for the oil rings.

My Ross forgies took nearly 20 weeks from order, from victoria, after promising 6 weeks. it seems there are quite a few people who have had the same dilemma with this company. 4 weeks from USA is awesome! wish i knew at the time.

3T-RA40: what were the differences between the 3 types of piston??

Phil
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Thu, 20 June 2002 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil, from my understanding it was the diameter that was different, don't quote me on it, was just what I heard. I'm sure my ross forgies only took 4-6 weeks Question 8 at the most.
In reference to the slotted ACL pistons, the first time I had my engine rebuilt I had nothing to do with it other than paying the bill(have learned my lesson the hard way and now do everything myself instead of paying f#%*wits to f#%* it up). When it lost compression in no.3 cylinder took it to a couple of mechinics/engine builders they said it was most likley a valve. Took head off and got it redone, had a sticking exhaust valve, problem solved I thought. Put head back on but still down on compression. So off with the head, off with the sump, out with the crank and pistons, and what did we find no.3 pistons rings, ring lands and oil ring had borken into small pieces bewteen the first compression ring and the piston shirt for abouut a 1/4 of the piston but stayed contanied within the bore.
I never seen the first rebuilt kit to know what brand it was, but the guy who rebuit it this time told me it was a N/A piston (with slots at oil ring instead of drilled holes) that I pulled out.
A friend who striped his 3tg showed me a standard piston which has holes at oil rings same as the new ross forged ones that are now in it.
This time I purchased all items for rebuild myself and was there the whole way through the rebuild (done at a local rebuild shop after hours). Have only clocked up about 3,500kms since rebuild but all feels good so far. Nod

Neil.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Thu, 20 June 2002 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neil: Are yours noisy (like piston slap)? do you use gapless rings?
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Mon, 24 June 2002 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil : No not really that nosiy Rolling Eyes , but have not compared it to a standard motor with standard pistons. Yes I'm using gapless rings.
schneidg
Occasional Poster

June 2002

icon14.gif  Re: Seeking 3TG pistons Fri, 20 September 2002 12:07 Go to previous message
Just want to finish off this post with a thanks to all you guys who replied, and let you know how I got on.

I ended-up getting a set of forged pistons and 3TG conrods from Sean Malony. He was very helpful, and did seem to know his stuff. It took about 8 weeks for everything to be ready, which was a little longer than expected, but I'm happy with what I've got.

The block's being machined, the engine balanced, etc. at the moment, so the 2TG turbo should be back in my beastie in the next couple of weeks or so.

Fingers crossed it all goes well, and I end-up with a strong, powerful and reliable engine now.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TRD extractors off the shelf for 4AGE
Next Topic:Jaycar HEI
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:23:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048799514770508 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.