Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Tacho compatible?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Tacho compatible? Fri, 07 March 2003 10:47 Go to next message
Guys im putting the v8 in my car right...will the standard electronic tacho work and be compatible with the 8, or will i need a new tacho?
  Send a private message to this user    
knackers
Regular

November 2002
Re: Tacho compatible? Fri, 07 March 2003 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new taco man will cost you heaps to get it reconfigered
cya knackers
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Tacho compatible? Sat, 08 March 2003 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what v8 r u runnin
usually if the original engine is a single coil and the new engine has multiple coils is when u get problems
theres things u can buy to make the tacho signal compatible or i have some tiny electrical devices that can modify the signal that might work

is it a lexus v8? if it is then u might need an adapter
7m gte with 3 coils and 1jzgte with 6 coils i havnt been able to get a good signal for the tacho
u can use an msd tacho adapter on the 7mgte to get the tacho to work ive done this and it works
soon ill be tryin the msd tacho adapter on a 1jzgte and hopefully itll work too

these msd adaptors cost about 120 bucks
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Tacho compatible? Sat, 08 March 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow have you still got the converter for the 7M? if so do you want to sell it? if not where does one purchase them.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Tacho compatible? Sat, 08 March 2003 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://andy.supras.org.nz/Your%20questions_files/C onversion%20questions_files/Conversion%20questions .htm#Q02

goto the above url and it will explain what u need

but the model is msd tacho adapter PN 8920
and u can get them from msd sellers or from rocket industies in sydney
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: Tacho compatible? Sat, 08 March 2003 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no the engine is older than the 5me...so yeah i think ill be buying a new one Twisted Evil
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tacho compatible? Sat, 08 March 2003 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sideshow,
What have you got that will allow me to use my original MX83 tacho (originally running a 7M-GE) with the 1UZ I'm now running?

I've been told I need to get a 4-cyl unit (as I run 2 4-cyl ignitors, 1 for each bank, and the tacho signal is taken from one of these...)

If you've got something that will help, I'm all ears!
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Tacho compatible? Sat, 08 March 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um r u runnin factory computer
if u r then all u need is the ig- signal from the diagnostic plug
take that rpm signal and run it thru the msd tacho adapter and hope it works
i cant garantee itll work
i know it works on a 7mgte
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Tacho compatible? Sun, 09 March 2003 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robbo, can u graft an aftermarket one in place of the toyota one dude?
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: Tacho compatible? Sun, 09 March 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the factory ones electronic if thats wat u mean...
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Tacho compatible? Sun, 09 March 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just leave the tacho till last
connect the ig- wire from the engine diagnostic plug to the original tacho wire which would have been connected to the original coil and see if the tacho works
its a trial and error thing
if it doesnt work send me an email and i can tell u some things to try to get a better signal output to yr tacho
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tacho compatible? Sun, 09 March 2003 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It can be sorted out one way or another - even if it comes to an electronic divider circuit on the coil.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tacho compatible? Sun, 09 March 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or just drive without a tacho.. Smiley =

how about getting the motor in first Smiley =
sixworks
Regular

May 2002
Re: Tacho compatible? Mon, 10 March 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The tacho output of the 1UFZE ignitor is high voltage so it will drive older style factory tacho's. Interestingly though, the frequency is of a 4 cylinder so the original tacho will appear too low for the 6 cylinder RPM range. Most instrument fitters can recalibrate tacho's for around $50; just ring around.

For 1JZGTE, 7MGTE and 4AGZE owners, also available is the SIXWORKS Tacho Booster. We design and manufacture these units locally and they are available for $98. Our Tacho Boosters have the added benefit of an in-built test function allowing the user to test the installation prior to finally hooking at all up.

Email me at sixworks@optusnet.com.au for a pdf information and tech data sheet.

Grant Blundell

[Updated on: Mon, 10 March 2003 02:09]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tacho compatible? Mon, 10 March 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a side note, Grant, do you know if a 1GGTE will be able to run the factory GA61 (digital same as Robbo) factory tacho?
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tacho compatible? Mon, 10 March 2003 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow, i've already tried hooking it striaght up to the ig- or the same as the negative side of the primary coil of the igniter.

It doesn't work.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Tacho compatible? Mon, 10 March 2003 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok
hey sixworks
supragte says it doesnt work
maybe he can try one of yr boosters
are they similar to the msd booster
if they r i would be very interested
as u were sayin the signal from the v8 is hi voltage y doesnt it run the tacho
usually if the voltage ios too hi u just put a little light globe in series on the wire from ig- to tacho
i recon maybe the signal is just not compatible on any engine with more than 1 coil
any engine with a single coil i can get tacho workin with my 2 dollar electrical parts

plus even if its a v8 and tacho is for 6 cyl it would still show some rpm but it would be wrong
so it would need modifying like u said
a last resort is to use the ig- signal to send signals to another standard factory coil in the engine bay
this coil would just be a waste spark but u could then get a strong singal to the tacho
im not sure on this setup
ive seen it once only and i only remember it vaigly

[Updated on: Mon, 10 March 2003 11:07]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tacho compatible? Mon, 10 March 2003 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll look into making a multiplier/divider circuit for my own reference over the next few days.

Aside from that, another way around it is to fit a hall switch onto the front of the crank, and a chopper disc with 3 blades. Then run it to a simple amplifier/capacitor/inductor circuit (similiar to a coil+ignitor) to produce an adequate voltage to keep the tacho happy.

On the 302 you MIGHT be able to pinch something from the front of a later model (multi coil, not dizzy) falcon V8? Swap the timing case or something?
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Tacho compatible? Mon, 10 March 2003 11:41 Go to previous message
Hey sixworks If you guys make an tach adaptor for a 7mgte to Ma 61 (the equivalent of the MSD #8920) for under $100 then post the details of how to order them and Ill get one straight away.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5MGE conversion problems
Next Topic:4age compression/crankshaft question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:10:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054931640625 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.