Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4agze in a mini?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
medjai_commander
Regular

March 2003
icon9.gif  4agze in a mini? Tue, 11 March 2003 03:07 Go to next message
hey whatup y'all

I've got a '78 mini club, bored to a 1500 with a 45mm weber, was looking at getting a 4agze super charger. anybody think of any problems i might hit? i'd b able to 'adapt' it alright u think?

not too good with technical shit, just wanna go faster! Shocked
  Send a private message to this user    
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4agze in a mini? Tue, 11 March 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong but Id say your biggest problem will be finding a drive for the blower, unless of course you have A/C Rolling Eyes
I think it may be mechanically simpler to turbocharge but then youve got the whole cutting into the firewall problem
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze in a mini? Tue, 11 March 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think there could be the problems talked about.
a slightly more common mod is to dump a turbocharged swift engine into it.. probably more expensive than you're looking at, but another option for you
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze in a mini? Tue, 11 March 2003 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very popular in the UK is using Honda 1.8 Vtec engines or the 2L Vauxhal twin cam (whats in the Holden Vectra). Check out Mini World http://www.miniworld.co.ukfor more info.

One guy is getting 200bhp from a 2L motor (no turbo) in a mini weighing 600kg!!

The hassle with what you have, if it's an A serise engine, is you are at the very limit of what the block can take on over bore (1430cc is usualy the safe upper limit fwik) so adding forced induction may well reduce the life of the engine and give you more grief than its worth. Turboing a 1380cc A serise is a common thing, and Mini World has had many articales in it over the years.

Better still, just put a 4A-GZE in the front Wink mind you, it may not be road legal then... worth checking first!

Craig.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze in a mini? Tue, 11 March 2003 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it would fit
apparently the swift gti engine is a REALLY tight squeeze, and I cant imagine the gze being any smaller
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze in a mini? Tue, 11 March 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you looking to drop the whole 4agze in there or just supercharger your existing engine?

the 4agze blower is fairly large, i've seen inside a 1275 mini bonnet, theres a bit of room but not much to play with. mounting it shouldn't be too imposible, just take off your old pulley and adapt the 4agze crank pulley to it or even get a gilmore drive set for it (get the ratios right!!), and just get a mount for the blower made up.

things like compression ratio and fuel injection/jet sizes will be the killer. your looking at blow-thru your existing webbers right? i guess EFI for a mini is pretty damn hard to get hold of?? Laughing

guys down at Jap import reckon people whack 4agze blowers on small planes, bikes, go karts, almost anything, so physically putting the blower on shouldn't be a headache.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 4agze in a mini? Wed, 12 March 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can find a guy around sydney called warwick augustin he had a mad mini (for racing only) with a complete 4a front end. engine,gearbox the works. The back tyres were only for keeping the bumper off the ground but it went like a shower of shit.

Made the front track a bit wider though. (Inside edges of tyres were outside the minis guards)

But he was doing a std 4a conversion also.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze in a mini? Wed, 12 March 2003 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inferno wrote on Tue, 11 March 2003 17:46

i guess EFI for a mini is pretty damn hard to get hold of??

Actualy, from the early 90's, all minis had twin point injection as standard. (earlier versions had single point injection) You should be able to get your local Jap importer to get them in as that model of mini was sold in Japan up till they ceased production in 2000.

Craig.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze in a mini? Wed, 12 March 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like i said on your double post

Gearbox, gearbox, gearbox.
and the drop gears, diff and the block . A 1500 a series leaves a very thin bore spacing and will probably not last for very long.

If you do want a supercharger. Link automotive in Melbourne have a sprintex kit that works very well and can be fitted without any cutting.

Brad
pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4agze in a mini? Wed, 12 March 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very true a 1450+cc a+ series motor has a VERY thin 2/3 cylinder bore thickness and will not last very long at all. getting a mini to go harder than a 1380cc motor worked off its nuts is very hard and expensive. 3 ways of doing it

1) ERA turbo motor or just turbo and manifolds
2) Conversion( swift GTI motor is a good one)
3) there are s-charger kits available or u could try and adapt one
4) Apparently a BMW (twin-cam) motorbike head can be adapted (this i dont know about cos most BMW bikes are flat 4s) Confused

All are rather expensive though.

i have a mini with a 1100cc block but isnt 1100cc internals cos it revs easily to 6grand. i bought the motor as is goes like hell (just as quick as my mates 2000 corolla)

and on the fuel injection side there are a lot of pros and cons. personally i dont think it is worth it

add to this if u know any other ways.

cya
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze in a mini? Wed, 12 March 2003 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can manage to get an 1100 to rev pretty easliy and it has a heaps of torque. I can take off in 3rd easily. All you need is a medium cam, i used a wade 104. I also changed to a nissan bluebird distrubitor on my ex gf mini and it screams off 7000 revs tacho.
If you want fuel injection go for a weber style throttle body. the twin and single point injection are not very good they are for emissions. Single 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 su works better.

Brad
medjai_commander
Regular

March 2003
icon4.gif  Re: 4agze in a mini? Thu, 13 March 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooooook, well a mate just said to me the other day while we were up at baskerville racing, that if i was looking for more power then to look into superchargers, he reckons he cld sell me a 4agze for $300. So thats the only reason i'm looking that way, but if its gonna rip the shit outa the engine that aint no good. Can anyone think of a specific s-charger that i can get the most outa, not kill my engine and be the least trouble fitting? Soz i aint no good at this shit, i'm just learning along the way Razz I really dont want to spend over $1000 in total, so nothing too extreme. And it doesnt really matter on size, coz i'll just rip a hole in the bonnet and poke it all out the top. Probably wont b able to c shit out the windscreen but thems the breaks eh? hehe. thnx guys ur being a gr8 help. my car wld b sitting in the driveway with a f** engine if i'd gone and bght the 4agze.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze in a mini? Thu, 13 March 2003 07:04 Go to previous message
The easiest waty would be to use one of the Link Auto sprintex supercharger kits. They fit without any cutting and work pretty well. A friend has one on an 1100 hill climb car and it goes great.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:brake and suspetion upgrade
Next Topic:Brake booster question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:03:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056431293487549 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.