Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 03:42 Go to next message
What size intercooler do all you guys run in your Mk2 Supras for those of you who have done a turbo conversion?
Where and how did you mount it, and where did you route the piping for it?

Actually, if some of the RA6X crew have any suggestions too (since it is a 1GGTE I'm installing) go nuts.

Thanks,
Nathan

Send a private message to this user    
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mines 540x380x75mm, so add the tanks its about 750mm wide.

I put the outlet of turbo pipe through next to the radiator where the power steering cooler normally goes. This makes it the shortest path possible and its 2.5inch ceramic coated insaide and out.

Out of the cooler the 2.5inch again ceramic coated comes out of the intercooler and goes straight through next to the battery and up to the throttle body. Its the shortest path without relocating the throttle body to the front next to the alternator on a custom intake manifold(which is coming soon if I keep getting carried away!).

This is the best path cause it doesn't double back to the drivers side and over the exhaust manifold to heat it up again.

Here it is below.

http://supragte.freewebspace.com/images/intercooler.jpg
Below shows the intercooler pipe to the throttle body.

http://supragte.freewebspace.com/images/sup-11t_(1)sml.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 13 March 2003 06:14]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you haven't done so already, check out the pics of my recently completed intercooler piping. You may want to do a similar thing since the 1G is similar to the 2JZ in terms of where the intake pipes go.

As for intercooler size, I can't remember the exact dimensions of mine but it's BIG. The end tanks are 6" thick and that fits in the nose of a Mk2 with no mods (apart from the obvious removal of the centre strut thing).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I've just bought an IC with core dimensions 550x250x60mm I'm gonna go to my car later to measure it up, just seeing what eveyone else ahs done. So Norbie, when you put the bumper back on, will your IC pipe run underneath that?

On a side note, I just spoke to a wrecker. What a dickhead, hes arguing with me that a Celica XX doesn't exist..."its an option pack". No No No
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The intercooler piping will not be visible when the bumper is back on, if that's what you mean. The driver's side pipe goes directly under the chassis rail, where the tow hook is located (I had to remove it for clearance).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the IC piping on yours runs where the tow-hook would usually sit? Thats where I may have to run mine.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. You can see what I'm talking about in this photo:

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Intercooler/IC_pipes04.jpg
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been pretty slack and used a stock 7M I/C and just run the piping underneath everything then staight up. Ill do the whole thing properly when I get myself a better I/C
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Thu, 13 March 2003 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul, where does your piping run?? And where does the outlets on your IC come out? Do you have any other pics?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Fri, 14 March 2003 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using the stocker 1jz intercooler... good enough for the moment. I want to do most of my engine mods in one go, so I dont find out some things have become redundant or need to be moved half way through

paul.. if you dont mind me asking, how much have your mods set you back so far? (not including the actual engine conversion)?
PM me if you're feeling shy Smile
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler for Mk2 Supra Tue, 18 March 2003 11:44 Go to previous message
Where do you want me to start draven??????

Its a long list of mods that evolved and were refined.
Ill just give a short list of the cost of the final items that contributed most to the power/improvments

Alot of the stuff was originally made up and then refined to make them better like the IC piping, the IC itself, intake etc.

-5inch pod filter($60), free 2 me from a mate
-stainless 5inch piping into turbo inlet, free 2 me from a mate
-hi flowed and rebuilt ct26, $500
-Microtech MTX8 $1400
-Intercooler $1000
-HKS Manifold and 32mm ext wastegate $550
-2.5 inch Intercooler piping production and ceramic coating,~$300
-Exhaust $1100 incl $300 cat
-Rebuilt and tightened LSD $600
-HKS boost controller but haven't been able to turn up the boost past 7psi cause the power is rediculous at the moment.

Thats the main stuff with alot of dyno tuning along the way too.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:coil over convertion
Next Topic:1jz idle problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:38:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006415843963623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.