Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
icon8.gif  "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 13 March 2003 18:02 Go to next message
Orite, is it just me, or does everybody here absolutely HATE "recreational" 4WD's?

OK, i don't have a problem with an "offroad" 4wd on the streets, i respect the REAL ones. What i can't stand is seeing an $80000 BMW 4WD, clean-as, driven by a mum, dangerously. . .

To buy a lethal weapon, like a gun, you have to go through rigorous testing and paper work to prove you are not going to use it dangerously. Anyone can walk in off the streets and buy a tank of a 4WD, ensuring in any accident they will come out on top, with absolutely no requirement to PROVE they are going to use it for its "supposed" purpose.
The worst thing is, every time i hang out the window and abuse them for not knowing how to drive safely, they're faces are all innocent saying "whats wrong?"
are they THAT FUCKING IGNORANT??

Mad

For anyone who shares my opinion, I recently got this idea. . .
Its a special club with no members, just participants.
Lets just call it "Baykaclub" for names sake.

background : I have found myself on occassion where i have tripped and accidentally run into a "recreational" 4WD, 4 times. For instance you might be walking through the shopping centre car park (thats where they breed) and find yourself pushing a trolly along, and suddenly the wind gushes up, and the shopping trolly gets whipped out of your hands into the immaculate side panel of the BMW 4WD. This is purely accidental with no legal remifications.

Baykaclub is just the name i would associate with situations when these unfortunate accidents arise, nothing more. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, just a jestfull thought. Do others share my opinion?

Send a private message to this user    
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 13 March 2003 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Soccermum.

Know it, loath it, fear it, get used to it.

2. I feel some tall poppy syndrome happening here. The fact you pick on BMW has nothing to do with the fact it easily outperforms your car for a large 4WD?

3. Opps, the brick accidently slipped out of my hand and through your windshield. No problem of mine though as it was an act of god it slipped and I have no responsibility to your damage.

See how stupid that looks for if you go pushing trollys into cars?

Personally if I saw someone do that "accidently", no matter what it was pushed into, I'd slap them down, call the cops and make them pay for the damages they caused.

This sort of shit increases my insurance premiums.

Plus it makes you the same level as the morons that key cars.

Yes we all hate 4WD's and such with a passion, but, causing damage isn't going to make them sell it and buy a normal car.

Fight the cause by not buying one yourself, and, making sure people you know don't buy one if they don't need one.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 13 March 2003 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do share some similar oppinion but i wouldnt damage another persons car because of it

I really dont like the soccormum thing - or the way alot of 4wd drivers drive - having a small car im terrified if a 4wd starts becoming a lane warrior beside me ..

my ex housemate used to take great delight ( while terrifying me ) in tailgating in his landrover if another driver bugged him

this is a 2.5 tonne 4wd , not a meter from the back of another car - it didnt matter in the wet , or dry he would still do it - his argument is if she slams on the brakes - it wont hurt my car .. that severely scared the shit out of me - so i never drove with him again .. Alot of 4wd drivers take a similar oppinion - so ive found ..,.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 13 March 2003 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't stand 4wd's on the road. Where I come from there are heaps of them because it's semi rural so everyone "needs" them for the hills!!!!

People in them can't drive, they think they own the road, change lanes without looking cutting people off.

And what is the purpose of those short wheel base 4WD's? Like you could really take them off road. Go into a pot hole and they'd tip over.

The amount of times I've almost had accidents because of 4WD's is getting beyond a joke and I know anytime soon I will have a major accident. It's almost like I have to drive my car with a safty flag and a flashing orange light just for people to see me in these things.

If people have to have truck licenses to drive trucks, bus licenses for buses, motor bike licenses for motor bikes then they should have licenses for 4WD's because they are not like a normal car to drive!
Ronin
Regular

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 13 March 2003 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4WD's shit me big time.
I think its fine to have one if its actually used for its intended purpose i.e. '4WDing'
But 95% of people who have one dont need one and I think half of those people dont even know how to drive them safely.
They are nothing but vision obstructing road bullies...and dont even get me started on North Shore Soccer mums..
I think 4WD's should require a different class of licence, like a truck licence. Thats the only way to weed out the people who really dont need one and if they do drive one, a specific licence for it would ensure that they are capable of driving it.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with you all
i HATE the non usable 4WD's like rav 4's the BMW hybird ones etc

Infact the other day when i was going to look at a car i always had a run in with a "soccermum".

Cruising along the freeway and then out of know where i spot this black POS "recreational 4WD" carving up the traffic somthing chronic...low and behold i also spot an obvious mum driving it with what looked like a kid in the back getting changed out of his school uniform and into some sports uniform(prime stuff for a paedophile i'm sure).
So i'm thinking to myself that she cant get more dangerous, but just in case i'll merge into the left hand lane just to make sure....well before i know it i'm merging and she whips from the outside, right hand, lane(3 lane freeway) into the the left all in one movement and absolutly guns it. She probably didnt see me merge as she was probably trying to see over the steering wheel, yell at her kid to hurry up or they'll be late as well as trying to carve up the traffic somthign chronic.
The result of her dangerous move then lead foot almost ended up with her parked in my cars arse.
So by this stage i slow right down(i was doing 120 and she still managed to almost hit me) to about 75 Evil or Very Mad just as a semi trailer goes past...just as it passes her i speed up again, she over takes me with a dirty look, i return the dirty look by mouthing fuck you and give her the bird! Laughing

Whilst all of this was happening my mate was laughing his arse off because he's always telling me that back in Kenya(where he's from) they are really shit drivers, and he knows how much i hate little soccer mums in big cars
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe kerr is keeping quiet on this one.....arent ya ya big soccer mum

anywayz i hate crappy drivers as much as the next person....doesnt matter what type of car they're in

But damaging someones car just because they are a crap driver is the most moronic thing ive ever heard

like seriously think about it

and not only that....you're generalising all 4WD'ers as bad drivers.....so some innocent drivers will have a dent in there 4WD....think about it

we do have dickheads in the car scene that do stupid things like 140 down a backstreet with kids around

is it fair for ppl to start generalising EVERYONE with a modded car and start damaging our cars ?

Think about it

Not trying to start a fight here

Smile

take it easy

Ta
Mani

kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mani, Mani, Mani.... You know mine's not a "soccer mum" 4WD ya dag. It's a huge POS!! Razz

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is one side to this discussion that no-one has mentioned yet, being so against 4WD's and all.

People in smaller cars tailgaiting and cutting in front of you while driving a 4WD.

The number of times this happens, particularly the cutting in is amazing. People do not seem to grasp the concept that a 2 tonne 4WD cannot stop that quickly. Especially when towing a fully laden car-trailer.

Another point. They are great to tow with.
Unfortunately mine is slow as shit, but gets the job done - legally.

I do agree with some of the other points raised. Soccer mums and yuppies who have them and NEVER go off road or tow anything. Grrr.

But they are only as lethal as the person driving it. I had a Landcruiser older than mine run up my arse a couple of years ago. I was stopped, he was doing about 60-70k's. Not pretty.

bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ok, im not promoting an attack on all 4wd's or anything, calm down. Confused

My point is ALL ppl who drive mercedes and BMW 4WD's are idiots. I can not understand the logic of spending 80000 on a comfortable luxury 4wd. Why not a jag? Why not a nice mercedes car??

These people buy these vehicles because they place they're own lives above everyone elses, at a higher safety risk to everyone else. They "could" buy a mercedes car, but they are more likely to survive in a 4WD, so fuck it if they kill the occupants in the other car.

Whats more, if they are rich and full aware that they are not the best driver, it makes perfect sense to buy a road tank.
This is what i loath. I always make an effort to drive safely in heavy traffic, even late at nite when i may be nailing it, i never risk the lives of others on the road. (cause there are no cars around)

I have never vandalized or stolen ANYTHING in my life. Never throw litter out my car window, but something about ppl driving expensive "recreational 4WD's" gets to me so deep, that i get urged to become a participant of Baykaclub. . . . . . .
now what the hell does that mean?
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm calm Razz . And I know ur not promoting any attacks...
And what's so wrong with having an $80,000 4WD?? As u said, they're comfortable... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I can't understand the logic in that either, anyway.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 14 March 2003 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bayka wrote on Fri, 14 March 2003 20:22

ok ok, im not promoting an attack on all 4wd's or anything, calm down. Confused

My point is ALL ppl who drive mercedes and BMW 4WD's are idiots. I can not understand the logic of spending 80000 on a comfortable luxury 4wd. Why not a jag? Why not a nice mercedes car??

These people buy these vehicles because they place they're own lives above everyone elses, at a higher safety risk to everyone else. They "could" buy a mercedes car, but they are more likely to survive in a 4WD, so fuck it if they kill the occupants in the other car.

Whats more, if they are rich and full aware that they are not the best driver, it makes perfect sense to buy a road tank.
This is what i loath. I always make an effort to drive safely in heavy traffic, even late at nite when i may be nailing it, i never risk the lives of others on the road. (cause there are no cars around)

I have never vandalized or stolen ANYTHING in my life. Never throw litter out my car window, but something about ppl driving expensive "recreational 4WD's" gets to me so deep, that i get urged to become a participant of Baykaclub. . . . . . .
now what the hell does that mean?

Fair enough.

I know that I'd rather personally have my mate's $60,000 MY03 STI Very Happy

So, what about sports utilites? Smile It's even worse making them out to be some sort of racecar.

And yep, I'd rather be driving down the freeway, or any road for that matter, with 10 drugged out fully loaded semi drivers than one or two 4WD's.

The level of skill between both is amazing. The truckie that hasn't slept for two days is more competent. Taxi driver VS soccermum is too close to call though. Razz
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sat, 15 March 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK Bayka that makes much more sense
Smile

Speaking of BMW 4WD's....one of the models came out with a space saver spare wheel i think

how messed is that
littlepvan
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sat, 15 March 2003 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey right off the subject, where could i get my hands on one of those wheels and how much?

the orange micro cheese cutter ones. mx5's etc have em.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sat, 15 March 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I work at Mazda Pvan.....would u like me to see if i can get it for u ???

Mani
rahulgurjar
Newcomer

September 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sat, 15 March 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One reason why they might choose "recreational" 4wd's is because the government will give bigger tax breaks to them, so in the end its better for them to purchase, say an X5 then a 5 series.
suprav8
Regular

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sat, 15 March 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bayka........book yourself some therapy time dude........you`ve got some hell issues!! Rolling Eyes
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 16 March 2003 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha do i? Cool

whatever man. I think all the people driving those pieces of shit need therapy. . .

I ask you to do one thing for me then suprav8, from now on, when you see recreational 4wd's etc, take a bit more notice of them. Take a good look at how they are designed, the sheer size etc when u see them holding u up at a T-junction cause you can't see ANYHING thru them. Consider the people driving them, and then tell me i need fucking therapy!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 16 March 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sooo many things to say here. point form is good

1/ Special licences for 4WD's - yes
2/ 4WD tax same as or higher than luxury tax - YES!!!
3/ Concessions for 4WD tax if proof of 4WD necessity/club - yes
4/ Soccermums gay - yes
5/ Do i appreciate the noce 4WD driver - YES

i can say mnore... but too busy
suprav8
Regular

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 16 March 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bayka......i agree with you on the 4wd thing.....they annoy me too but you just have to deal with it.They aint going to go away so just get that therapy and everything will be all good Laughing Laughing Laughing
87seca
Regular

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 16 March 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after watching a 4wd slam into a people mover thing type thing today, i have think that they are danger on our roads... the lady driving didn't even hit it all that hard, maybe about 30ks, but it killed the other car, rear window went onto the road, and the whole bcak end was just stuffed...luckly no one was in the back seat... people should be alwowed to have what ever car they want, but i think that the drives need to be educated on how to drive there cars
Singlecam
Regular

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 16 March 2003 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 16 March 2003 17:21

4/ Soccermums gay - yes

So very true Karl. I am sick to death of these bloody softroaders cluttering up our highways and freeways, they are a dead set menace. I'm certain that i've done more off roading in my rolla than every single softroader in the entire world. What is the point of buying a vehcile if u aren't going to use it for it's designed purpose??? Haven't these people heard of luxury sedans and station wagons? If there is no need for people to own and drive a larger and inherantly more dangerous vehicle, then they should not be allowed to do so Rolling Eyes

Soccermums r gayness plus!!!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Mon, 17 March 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim, the major reason why these people are buying SOFTroaders, is becuase they are classed as a 4WD or recreational vehicle, there are different tax rules applied to their car as opposed to a luxury sedan/wagon.

I believe that when a "luxury" sedan (or wagon) is priced above $55,000 they incur an EXTRA tax, known as luxury tax when the vehicle is purchased. eg, BMW 318, 320 etc, audi A4 quattro etc
If that person instead of buying the luxury sedan/wagon, purchased a BMW X5 - they automatically dont have to pay that extra luxury tax (its like 50% instead of 30%) since that vehicle is classed as a 4WD or recreational vehicle.

Its GAY i tell you!
Fairy enough the luxury tax, but i would like to see a similar tax in place for 4WD's/recreational vehicles. HOWEVER - i do agree there are people in the world who truly do need these vehicles (eg. farmers etc) and people in clubs etc who actually use them off road. So for these people i think such a tax should be forfieted.
Also a bonus licience (just a short drive course, like for motorbikes) should be required to drive them - at a minimal cost for farmers and REAL users, and at full cost to the WANK user.
I also think that if the veichle is like a 2nd vehicle, supposedly for the annual off road holiday or something - that severly reduced rego costs, along with STRICT driving limitations (eg, weekends only, along with a number of allocated and selectable weekdays per year for holidays etc) should be installed.

THese sorts of things above would weed out the soccermum/d**khead user, and at the same time make it more affordable and safer for the true 4WD user.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Mon, 17 March 2003 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, im totaly with that.
Cheers for the info on that TAX i wasn't aware of that. That IS totaly gay.

With the farmers and all that, true they need 4wd, but how often have you seen a farmer driving a mercedes luxury 4WD? First of all the luxury 4wd's are all petrol not diesel, so are useless at providing nice torque at low constant RPM for offroading.
Most of them run in 2wd most of the time anyway to be more petrol efficient!!

I agree farmers etc need them, but they will be using REAL 4wd's.
Smile
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Mon, 17 March 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow... never knew so many people were against 4WD's! Shocked

I myself am a big 4WD fan however... sorry guys hehe Razz But I do agree with you guys in that if it's a 4WD obviously you should have some intention on taking it off the beaten track.
AE92_Hatzi
Regular

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Tue, 18 March 2003 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm looking to get a 4wd as my next vehicle as it suits my lifestyle. I see where you guys are coming from but there are far more passenger cars with idiot drivers then there are 4wds.

Raising the tax on them won't do much good, they already paid $80k plus whats a few more thousand to these people. It will also make it harder for real recriational 4wds to access. Banning them is stupid IMO as once that happens it the government will find it easier to ban other cars (ie performance cars).

The best thing that can happen is for special licences with driver training as this will discourage soccermoms and bitumen cowboys as my friends call them. How many of you people are confident you would pass a driving test after all these years? Rolling Eyes

my 2 cents

[Updated on: Tue, 18 March 2003 13:16]

TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Wed, 19 March 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know whether to feel ofended or not.
I drive a Patrol ute every day of the week as my work truck.
It weighs anywhere between 3-4tonnes.
From my perspective its as good as any car on the road.It has as good a brakes if not better than most late model cars, handles great for its size is easy to see out of and can be driven like any normal car and I do.
It feels no different to drive than a VR-VT commodore for example.
The main problem I think is the driver whether they are in a 4wd drive or any car, they just stick in your mind if it is a 4wd.
I see more stupid moves preformed in cars than 4wd's because there is more cars on the road.

Marty
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Wed, 19 March 2003 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae92_hatzi : i agree with you. The licence is the way to go, banning certain things is not the best way , although i do belive there should be some weight restrictions for a 4door passenger car, ie not 3-4 tonnes as we are getting everywhere on the road Confused

td42t : the patrol ute isn't a problem at all. It has a functional purpose, and doesn't obstruct 50% of other drivers visiblity. I agree that more stupid stuff is done by cars than 4wd's, my point is that "recreational" 4wd's are 4tonne tanks and most of the tin foil excels zipping around can't hurt anyone but themselves in comparison.
The reason 4wd drivers stick in my mind is because of all this, dangerous drivers in much more dangerous vehicles obviously worry me (and others who feel the same way) more.

Cheers
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 20 March 2003 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to also jump in and say that I agree with tuff licensing as realistically it is that may or may not improve those 4wd driving soccer mums.

I hate seeing 4wd's that only see the dirt in the gutter their whole lives and the off road experience is being driven onto the front lawn for a wash.

I have thought this has been wrong for years now the only 4wd's on the road should have a 5inch (or so) lift kit, a car on the trailer behind or chock a block full of tools of the trade.

littlepvan
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 20 March 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate has a 4WD, mazda 323 4WD turbo, its nice.

that is all
mrrolla@bigpond.com
Occasional Poster

March 2003

icon3.gif  Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 21 March 2003 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drive around & stalk ur prey 1st, Grab a trolley, Hit 60kph and let it go!!! Laughing JUST DONT STOP AFTER U DO IT....... Shocked
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 21 March 2003 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if this annoys anyone else but my car is very low and appart from the fact that 4WD simply don't see me, their headlights at night shine directly in my windscreen or rear window blinding me. I drive on a lot of roads without street lights so this is a real problem.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 21 March 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GO mrrolla!!! Laughing

I agree ra32celicachick. Try driving down to mandurah with no street lights, a low car and a massive 4wd with spoties on the front HI-BEAMING straight into your eyes because u overtook them doing 60 in a 90zone Mad

I FUCKING HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On that particular occasion, the light shining into my eyes was so bright, i almost ran off stake hill/baldivis road at 100km/h. I was quite literally blinded. . . .

but its ok because 3000Amp spotties are for 4WD'ing. . . . .
TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 21 March 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I guess you are the sort of guys that use those annoying little fog lights are you?
What are you on about?
Look at the height difference.I get flashed,tailgated and birded all the time.
My Supra's roof doesn't even come upto the bottem of the windows on my ute.
Some poeple should start concentrating what they are doing and not what they think others are.

"but its ok because 3000Amp spotties are for 4WD'ing. . . . . "

What a silly thing to say.
Maybe high differences come in here.
Do trucks hit you up too?

Lets create special lanes on all roads for you low riding,"on no what do you think they are doing"," they can't do that in that","fuck I wish I had one of those","get out of my way you slow prick" and whatever else you people think about other than what you are doing.

That way all will be safe.

marty

bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Fri, 21 March 2003 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, i don't have fog lights.
what the hell are you on about man?

How often do you get hi-beamed by a truck?? trucks don't tailgate, and get driven by soccermums, so stop generalising my point and making it out that i am having a bitch about the whole fucking world.

Im having a cry about "recreational" 4wd's in the general discussion section of a forum. Isn't that a part reason for these forums, so ppl can vent their anger about certain issues and not take it out on the road? Surprised

td42t:
"Lets create special lanes on all roads for you low riding,"on no what do you think they are doing"," they can't do that in that","fuck I wish I had one of those","get out of my way you slow prick" and whatever else you people think about other than what you are doing. "

Now i don't exactly know what you mean by that, but im not trying to start a forum war. I dont see how those things relate to 4wd's.

All ppl that drive low cars know that really high-off-the-ground recreational vehicles are a danger at night for other drivers on the road. Do you not agree? Confused

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sat, 22 March 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While TD42T (Marty) doesn't know whether or not to feel offended by the way this thread has gone, I certainly do. I'm actually sorry that I stumbled across this thread, but now I've found it, I've also found a big sticker that says "Please deposit your 2c-worth here..."

I've read what all of you that have posted have to say about what you think of 4WD's in general, and the segregations of 4WD's as well. Myself, I think the segregations are what's important in people's opinions. The bigger 4WD's (Patrol's, Land Cruiser's, Land Rover's, etc. are what Bayka is referring to here, I can see that, but I'm quite sure that a lot of you don't have any respect for people driving around in ANY kind of 4WD's.

The generalisation is what upsets me the most when you group all 4WD's together. Some of you on here would have seen what I drive on the Member's Cars forum, and even fewer on here would have seen it in real life. Mine is a project, purpose selected and built with over 2 years worth of thought, design and modification gone into it, and so far, close to $10,000 on the mod's. A lot of you would laugh and smirk at this because the typical line-of-thought for people driving 2WD cars is "why would you modify that heap of shit?? why not do a Celica or something?"

Quite simple - just ask the driver - that's right, the nut behind the 4WD wheel. It's because of me that I'm driving something that's not-so-close to the ground (as in super-low). Even though mine has been lowered (again, a lot of you would say what is the point), it is still at a decent-enough height for me to get comfortably in and out of. I have arthritic knees and one arthritic ankle so far, and as some of you could appreciate, it's rather difficult trying to get in and out of a lowered vehicle.

For example, my last car (Mitsubishi Scorpion) - it was lowered 1½" all round, but became a right bastard to get out of. Sure, you could fall into the seat getting into the car (and bump your head on the roof if you didn't time it right), but with MR-2 front seats on non-stock rails, it was a bitch to get out of, and me being 6'4" I almost had to crawl out of it sometimes.

So there IS reason for me driving around in my 4WD (actually AWD, but hey, let's not get too fussy about it), but let me tell you guys it isn't going to get any better because compact 4WD's (or SOFTROADER'S as some of you call them) are just getting more and more popular. So popular that the market is completely overcrowded with about 40 different versions of them around currently, and as of next year, it's gonna get worse too - the imported Highlander/Kluger is coming to town to slot in the gap between the RAV4 and the LandCruiser. Surprised

If I didn't have this condition with my knees, hell I'd probably be driving around in a Celica holding the ToyMods banner high, but now after reading this thread and feeling more than a tad insulted about my choice of ride because of some other's opinions and common generalisation, I'm not so sure that ToyMods membership is such a good idea, if I'm going to be that 'black sheep' that everyone points at. Sorry, I don't wanna feel left out, and that's exactly what's happening here. I thought ToyMods was better than this, offering an open-arms-policy to anyone who owned a modified Toyota, regardless of model. Confused

Ahhh, sure you guys, get your skirts on and have a good ol' bitch about fourby's... but what happens to the next RAV4 modifier who stumbles across this site, sees what's happening and feels the same way? Crying or Very Sad I'm a moderator of the RAV4World.com forums, and every day, I see more and more RAV4 modifiers visit the forums for ideas of what they could do for their world-renowned compact 4WD. Don't tell me there's none out there - there's a hell of a lot more of us than you think. Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Sat, 22 March 2003 14:20]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sat, 22 March 2003 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bloody hell
Tonight when i was driving home from work i had this wanker in a Pajero(only figured that much out after 20 minutes, i turned off and he kept going straight so i managed to get a look at what he was driving)
Anyways this guy tail gated me for 20 minutes!!!
All the while i couldnt see out of any of my mirrors and whenever i turned to check to see if it was safe to merge all i could see where 4 fucking headlights.
So i was trapped in the one lane(didnt want to risk merging into another car) for 20 minutes!!
To make it worse whenever i sped up to try and get a glimpse to see if i could get out from in front of him he'd speed up with me, never tried to over take me or anything(even when i slowed down to 75 in a 100 zone)

I seriously think it was some "p plate" rage....in that i mean he was playing the game of "lets show these youngin p platers how real men drive"

I dont get pissed off easily, especially on the road but this guy REALLY TICKED ME OFF

and it really does give a bad name for 4WD's
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon9.gif  Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 23 March 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Fri, 14 March 2003 13:48

I'm with you all
i HATE the non usable 4WD's like rav 4's...

I'm sorry you feel that way, but for the sake of not starting 'flames', please reserve your judgement for the "present-company"... ie. others that drive around in 4WD's, whether it be a GT-Four, a RAV4 or a Land Cruiser. We don't start shit about any of your cars here, don't start something with ours. Rolling Eyes
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 23 March 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey "Black Sheep". Don't worry, you're not the only one around here.

My choices of cars has me screwed. I own a Landcruiser AND a Commodore. I took the Commodore to the drive-in night. After reading 2 threads on here, I may need therapy soon Razz Razz , and strangely spent most of the night alone (except for Ben and Luke Smile, sorry guys)

My apologies for not introducing myself (even though you were only 3 cars away).
Maybe when the Celica is finally finished, all should be good. Another month or so won't hurt Laughing

Anyway, keep up the work on the RAV. It's definitely something different.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 23 March 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigfella_73 : i appreciate your insight, and im glad you understand my view. I see why you could be very offended by some of this, but please understand that most of the ppl "having a cry" about 4wd's wern't referring to rav's etc but the BIG ones that i have a problem with Surprised

This is because they arn't a danger on the road, you rarely get blinded by a car of this slighty lower height, you can mostly see past them (no worse than a van or something) and in general they are more like a car than a tank.

You have every right to do what you want to your toyota just like you dont have a problem with mine. But if you have an opinion of these BIG "recreational" 4wd's, please share it with us. Smile
AE92_Hatzi
Regular

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Sun, 23 March 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look lets not blame the car, but blame the driver. I went to my mates place just before and in a 1Km stretch of road I was cut off by an idiot commodore driver who turned into my lane rather than the two empty lanes next to me which made me swerve to avoid him and then had another idiot in a camry tailgate me for 500m. He was so close that his lights were reflecting of my car and back at him. I slowed to 50km/h in a 70km/h and he still didn't overtake so I put my foot down and got as far away from them as I could.

Moral is that it if the other driver is a d....... then he is most likely gonna hit you. If he is in a 4wd then there will be more damage.

Having spotlights on with a car in front is illegal isn't it. If you have that problem, most cars have a little lever on their rear vision mirror which if you flick stops the reflection of the lights shining into your eyes from vehicles behind you.
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Mon, 24 March 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I'm pretty pissed about this thread!!!
I own the celica to the left and also a Landcruiser.Both serve a purpose;
Celica;pleasure and pain
Landcruiser;transport on and off road
Now in saying that my cruiser goes off road but it is still like new even being an 89 model.I expect it to get the odd dent and scratch while 4wding but if catch someone doing the shit that is be spoken about here then I would jam the shopping trolley,brick or whatever up their ass sideways.
What happened to respecting other peoples cars????
It is a waste having a big $$$ 4wd if you do not use it but don't judge the 4wd if it is well looked after, you can use one off road with out killing it
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Mon, 24 March 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WoW Shocked Someone else with a Cruiser and Celica. Good to see there's some support. I thought I was alone..
blerk
Occasional Poster

May 2002

icon1.gif  Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Mon, 24 March 2003 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My two cents...
I drive my `90 Camry in the country (and get chauferred in a `74 Celica) and drive a short-wheel based Vitara 4WD when in the city/suburbia. I love the Suzi, even though it's no where near the BMW range of luxury. Did defensive driving course in it. (I am a good girl though and stay back from other cars at night because I know that everytime I go over a bump it can look like a flash of high-beams to the driver in front.)

It hasn't seen a dirt track in about 5 years.

It's high-up so I have better vision of the traffic in front of me. It's compact, it's easy to park (conveniently forgot how to reverse park after my L's!), it has way more glass area (windscreen more upright, taller windows) than the Celica. Plus you can go up gutters to find lucrative parking spots.

With some of the major potholes in Sydney, mountains for speedhumps at some Maccas, plus with the dips at the end of some concrete driveways - you need a 4wd not to scrape or kill your shocks!

Having higher centre of gravity, you gotta slow down a little more at corners than a normal car, but that's hardly a bad thing on the grand scheme of things. I also take longer-time-to-stop into account when driving. We aren't all bastards!

Bigger (even if they go off-roading every weekend) 4WD drivers are often put-out by car-parks with a 1.93m height clearance....do they get special kerb parking spots outside shopping centres? No! (Not saying they should, just pointing out they don't always have it easy).

As for bull-bars, don't get me started. Plus we've already had that argument. N.B: They make good seats while waiting for people.

If I had the money to splurge (and the kids) - I would be a "luxury softroader mum".
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Wed, 26 March 2003 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyrota: you said "what happend to respecting other peoples cars?"

i put to you : "what happend to respecting other people's lives?"

Sure a truck is dangerous, but you don't have trucks pulling into traffic, out of carparks, inbetween lanes every 5 minutes. Ive said it once and ill say it again : "people who drive these so called luxury tank 4wd's place their own and passenger's lives above everybody else's on the road. There are a host of other debatable topics like whether they even go OFFROAD, but this is my opinion, your entitled to yours, but i assure you im not alone. . . "

I don't mean to promote fighting between 4wd owners and road cars as such, im just trying to raise the issue. Its not them i really disrespect, its the car manufactures for putting money and their own greedy profits before other human lives. (Yes i know this happens everywhere but being bombarded as a result of it on an everyday basis amplifies the issue)

rav's and short wheel base 4wd's are fine, they are a happy medium between a road and an offroad car. They don't obstruct much vision, and arn't armoured like tanks. I hope you can understand where im coming from Confused
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Wed, 26 March 2003 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigFella_73 wrote on Sun, 23 March 2003 01:11

but now after reading this thread and feeling more than a tad insulted about my choice of ride because of some other's opinions and common generalisation, I'm not so sure that ToyMods membership is such a good idea

BigFella

I hope u understand that just because this thread was posted on the toymods forums it doesnt mean toymods car club shares its veiws.

If you look at who actullay made posts in this thread id say only 2 people are actual toymods members, the rest are non-members from interstate. If your still hesitant in joinging bring your car to a toymods event and i bet you will not get shunned or feel out of place. Then you can decide on whether or not to join.

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 27 March 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But Sometimes you see some mad MILFS in an X5 or M class, and you know she's in it for the bling. I like 4wds, Id take a Rang Rover or LX470 anyday. And yeah, never take it off road! Just for the bling factor.....I think I been watching too many RNB/Hip Hop clips huh?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: "recreational" 4WD's IS IT JUST ME ???!!! Thu, 27 March 2003 00:07 Go to previous message
Bigfella,

what rob said is right. What is said here on the forums DOES NOT reflect the thoughts and views of the Toymods Car Club. I for one have seen your car, and appreciate the fact that it has been modified tastefully and that it is in deed DIFFERENT. And i am sure that the majority of Toymods MEMBERS would feel the same way. We like to see variety and originality.
Please, dont let the views of some of the forum goers (who might i add AREN'T financial members) stop you from joining our lovely, friendly club.

Toyrota,

I appreciate what you have said about respect for other people's vehicles. I dont care what car i drive, i would NOT BE HAPPY if someone were to maliciously damamge it. You should note that Bakya in fact said the idea of damamging these cars was a joke, albeit distasteful, but a joke nonetheless. And judging from most of the more thought out responses here, people don't really havea problem with you owning a 'cruiser, because you take it offroad, and im sure you drive it responsibly.

MY PERSONAL OPINION ON THIS:like i eluded to in my previous responses, i have no problem with 4WD's of the big kind if they are used for their intended purpose (ie, 4WDing). I do NOT appreciate the driver of this type of vehicle who drives dangerously without consideration of the small car next to him. This is where the "soccermum" tag comes in - the driver who only owns such a vehicle because it avoids the 55% luxury tax - this is what I don't like.
I DO appreciate the 4WD driver who drives conservatively, like he should for a vehicle of such size, mass and shape.

Compact 4WDs. Well yes they have their place also, and certainly aren't dangerous like big 2-2.5 tonne small car decapatating tanks (if you've ever seen an acco between the two, you would understand). Some people don't like these compact 4WD's, but that is just PERSONAL PREFERENCE! Its just like some people don't like corollas, or celicas!

NOTE: just because people give generalisations, dont immediately think that it applies to you. If we all thought that, then according to what we see on channel 7 we are all "Car hoons", driving dangerously with illegally modified cars, doing burnouts everywhere and abusing EVERYONE.

But the truth speaks differently doesn't it?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:On a side note......my mates MX5.......
Next Topic:DVD player that plays DivX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 21:21:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13358998298645 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.