Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr_Fusion
Occasional Poster

May 2002

icon3.gif  Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Sun, 16 June 2002 13:36 Go to next message
Hey guys as you would guess from the thread I've got the ST141 Corona, what I want to know is this:

Is it a pretty much straight conversion for me to swap my rear drums for a rear disc setup? What I mean to ask is that the corona Avante came with rear discs, so is it possible to do a pretty much straight-swap?

I'm just wondering, cos im starting to save for my 1GGTE conversion, I'm getting it lowered soon and then I want to prep it up for the conversion itself (makes it easier when engineering! Laughing

sorry about the essay guys (edit: it wasn't reall much of an essay after all Rolling )!!!

Matt (Mr Fusion)

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2002 13:37]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Sun, 16 June 2002 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not just bolt in the whole Avante diff? I think it will fit, not sure though!
If you find an Avante diff let me know cause i want one! They bolt straight into a TA22!

Is the Avante a common car?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Sun, 16 June 2002 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, always looks like you have written a lot more when its in the editing box because it looks a lot smaller Smile
Mr_Fusion
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Sun, 16 June 2002 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*waiting for reply from abe Smiley = *
hehe
Quote:

Why not just bolt in the whole Avante diff? I think it will fit, not sure though!

I'm kinda hoping that I can just put the whole rear end in, makes it easier!!!!

Is it IRS???

[Updated on: Mon, 17 June 2002 03:20]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 17 June 2002 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It cant be IRS because it bolts straight into a TA22.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 17 June 2002 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So where can i get me an Avante diff?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 17 June 2002 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why the f**k did they put rear discs on the Avante Corona and not on the RA65 celica. Grrrrrrrr, Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 17 June 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To piss you off and make RA60 owners laugh because they can swap it in. Not that I'd do that.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 17 June 2002 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, all *I* have to do is swap in an Ma6x rear end. (not that I've found one yet) And I got a better front end/better engine/better taillights/better suspension/possibly even thicker swaybars Grin
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Tue, 18 June 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont really care though. I'm only keeping my Celica reliable for driving around when I get a MA61.
I have your front end just sitting around my house, I just need to fix the bonnet and put it on Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Tue, 18 June 2002 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, I dont really think the tail lights are better either, the only tail lioght I really like are the Celica XX ones, the wide ones without the lines across them.
XTreme_Corona
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Tue, 18 June 2002 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mr fusion
the corona disc rear end also came out in the csi which has the 22re motor. the diff isnt independant but the avanti also came with this option, very rare to find i have found.

i was quoted $400 for the solid rear diff(disc) which i thought was a bit steep, what have you found???
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Tue, 18 June 2002 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did you get that quote from? $400 is'nt that bad as i have been told that the diff is a BW.
Mr_Fusion
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Tue, 18 June 2002 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure those series of coronas all came out with Borg Warner Differentials anyway!

This $400...where was this from? Somewhere in Sydney? and also is that installed, cos if it is then I guess that doesn't seem too bad....because I ve got the drum rear end at the moment, I'm probably going to need a brake bias/booster or something like that as well I'm guessing Freak

I'll check around my local wreckers and stuff and see what I can find out for ya's
AE86_Sprinter
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the deal with the ST141 Disk brake rear ends.

How big is the diff, 6.7", 7.1" or a 7.5" ring gear?

I found 4 in one morning, priced from 150 to 325, all in decent nick.

Am contemplating putting one in a Sprinter, but need to know what size they are.

None of the cars had a plate listing the axle code Nope Hence i would know if it was a T series, or F series or what ever Shocked

I need a Corona owners help here!

Cheers
Mike

XTreme_Corona
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the $400 was from a toyota wrecker in adelaide and it was not installed.

not sure what model diff or what size it is.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86_Sprinter wrote on Wed, 19 June 2002 10:39 AM

Whats the deal with the ST141 Disk brake rear ends.

How big is the diff, 6.7", 7.1" or a 7.5" ring gear?

I found 4 in one morning, priced from 150 to 325, all in decent nick.

The 4 that you found, are you sure that they were the Avante item?
Did they have the disk brakes?
AE86_Sprinter
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, they were all disk brake rear ends, 2 of which were in cars, which had a Avante badge Nod

has big disks (well big compared to the fronts on a sprinter) and single piston calipers.

Does any one know what size they are??? i might have to go down and open one up and measure it...

Mike
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dammm, I want one.
AE86_Sprinter
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But why do you want one??

Do you want to fit one for the disk brakes? or for increased strength?

I am thinking that it will be at least 6.7", which is biger than my current 6.38" diff, and has disks, which for 150 odd, plus a bit of my welding time is worth it, even if it aint a big ass diff.

I MAY be selling the ol Turbo'd Sprinter off, and buying another stockie... depends what i can get for it. If so, 150 spent on a disk brake rear will make it a bit easier to sell, as well as removing teh constant whine I have atm....

Mike
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to fit one for the disk brakes and for increased strength!
Plus they bolt straight in, no screwing around.
AE86_Sprinter
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure that it is stronger than your current set up? are they bigger than the 6.7" diff you have atm?

They almost bolt into a Sprinter, you need to change the panhard rod length (or mount), shockie mounts and 2 holes in the tailshaft. Easy done with my MIG tho Very Happy

Cheers
Mike
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been told by IDB that they are stronger and are a direct bolt in!
Thats all I know sorry.
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

Thought that I had better reply to this thread. Some 6 months ago I put together a tech article on the Avanti disc brake rear end. Note that only the manual has the disc brake the auto in drum.

Just to clarify a few things - yes it would be a direct swap into the st141. No it will not fit into a ta2/23 or ra23/28. It will directly fit a ra40 or a ae86. The rear end of these cars are some 60mm wider and the suspension pickup points will not therefore fit on the earlier models. My tech article sets out how to fit the discs onto the earlier cars - it is fairly easy!

Also from my experience $350 is not a bad price.

As to the strength of the diff. Well I believe that the celica t series diff would be stronger. According to the diff places they break in the Avanti - thus the high cost of the second hand item. They are a 21 (or it may be 19) spline Borg Warner, very similar design to the Commodore, skyline and pintara. I think that the housing is the same width as the nissens, sooo there is a strong possibility that the centre from the skyline (of VL Turbo) would fit along with the skyline - not commodore axles. The disk brake centre form the late skylines would be preferable as it is 4 pinion.

I think that is about it.

Craig
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that just bloddy well sux..
Whats a good diff swap for a TA22 then? With disks brakes?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Wed, 19 June 2002 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and do you know the size of the disks?
MAK.33N
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Thu, 20 June 2002 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, just a question. Are the differentials from both the RT142 and the ST141 similar, i cant recall the bodyshapes but are the actual models similar?

if they are the same then there are minimal mods involved in putting one under the rear of a AE86, alll the mods will be passed by an Engineer as roadworthy without specific scrutineering.
XTreme_Corona
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Fri, 21 June 2002 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there exactly the same.
all corona diffs are interchangable from the xt130 to the last model made(not sure about the earlier models as i havent tried or seen it done)
Mr_Fusion
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Fri, 21 June 2002 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
next question -
where in Sydney can you source the avanti rear setups?? Rolling Eyes
Mr_Fusion
Occasional Poster

May 2002

icon4.gif  Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 05 August 2002 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bumpin it up (or should i say bringing it back from the dead Shocked )

I just want to know where in Sydney I can source an avante/ CSi rear disc setup

cheeers if anybody knows

email me at da_klubbhead@hotmail.com if you can thanks guys
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 20 December 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
done it
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 20 December 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Done what? Dragged a two and a half year old thread back from the grave? Rolling Eyes
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona? Mon, 20 December 2004 20:25 Go to previous message
sorry was looking for some info and was dead tired didn't look at how old it was just they asking about the diff install .. sorry.. just lucky it wasn't heavy machinery.. wasnt the first and wont be the last.. sorry
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Buying an ST162
Next Topic:gearbox conversion st205 into st185
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:47:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061769485473633 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.