Toymods » Tech & Conversions » cost of an 18r-g conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cory
Regular

June 2002

icon5.gif  cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 00:54 Go to next message
i was just wondering how much it would cost to do a conversion from an 18r-c to an 18r-g in an ra23/ra28 celica.

and would i need an engineers certificate for this type of conversion?

i'm planning on doing this once i buy a celica (i'm still looking) and i wanted to check out how much i should be paying.

i dont kow that much at the moment, i'm just learning, and i dont want some dodgy place to rip me off.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Going price is about $700 to $900 for an 18R-G from a wreckers depending on condition of course.
Havnt seen too many 18R-GEU prices though.... but they are meant to be less than the 18R-G.

Since your going RA23 or RA28, the 18R-G would be an easy install. Maybe an extr $100 max for misc parts for the conversion.

If you go 18R-GEU, you would also need a electric hi-flow/low-pressure fuel pump, electric EFI fuel pump, surge tank, and new fuel lines. Also maybe looms and ECU... depends if they come with the engine.

Cory
Regular

June 2002

Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm...

EFI..that sounds complicated.

and what is a loom and an ECU?

is there any real advantage to EFI? i was thinking more along the lines of twin carbies. i'm assuming they are simpler right? i dont want to get into the really complicated stuff straight away.

andrewvibert
Forums Junkie

Forum Sponsor

May 2002
Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can sell you an 18rg with carbs . Drop me a line 58231911 bus
shane
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a 18r-g in my Ra28 and after spending a lot of money on it, webers, regraphed electronic distributer, 2 1/4 exhaust, exstractors, fully rebuilt engine, ect.. I have only come up with 54 KW at the wheels (dyno day 4) and this was the day after a full tune on a dyno. It is good for a bit of fun, but after a little while you want more power and I now pumping more money into my vaunrable 18r-g is not going to be a very viable option. Basically I have spent a lot for not that much!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cory wrote on Mon, 17 June 2002 4:41 PM

ummm...
EFI..that sounds complicated.
and what is a loom and an ECU?
is there any real advantage to EFI? i was thinking more along the lines of twin carbies. i'm assuming they are simpler right? i dont want to get into the really complicated stuff straight away.

EFI will give better fuel economy and more power (if tuned right).
The ECU is the computer that powers the EFI system, and the looms are the wiring between the ECU and the engine.

Twin carbs are simpler, but from the stories ive heard around here, are VERY difficult to tune, and loose thier tune quickly.

To install:
Simple = 18R-G (twin carb)
Complicated = 18R-GEU (EFI)

To maintain:
Simple = 18R-GEU
Compilicated = 18R-G
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't even say that installing an 18R-GEU is complicated. The only extra steps involved are installing a fuel pump, and finding somewhere to neatly hide the ECU and wiring!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 17 June 2002 10:10 PM

I wouldn't even say that installing an 18R-GEU is complicated. The only extra steps involved are installing a fuel pump, and finding somewhere to neatly hide the ECU and wiring!

Well a little more than that.
But still, remeber he didnt know what an ECU or loom was...
Cory
Regular

June 2002

Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew, thanks for the offer, but i'm not looking to buy at the moment, i was just checking what it would cost me so i know how much $$ i'll need. i'll keep you in mind though when i do have the money to buy, if you've still got it

shane,

i'm know there are probably better things i can do, but i'm not really looking for an insanely powerful car. it'll at least be more powerful than my current car Smile .

m.w.p.,

thanks for all the info, now i cant decide whether i want EFI or carbies Sad

i've also seen pages on the net which say the 18R-GEU has only 120 HP compared with 140 HP from the 18R-G. can anyone give me the real story?

thanks for all the help again.

Cory.

btw, can anyone answer that question i had in my first post about the engineers certificate? i assume that i dont, cause the engine is the same capacity, but i just wanna check to make sure.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Mon, 17 June 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, your about right with the HP figures.

Lets see if i can remeber this correctly:
The GEU has lower compression (8.3:1) because of new emssions specs in japan (hence the "U" in the name). To make up some of the lost power, they fitted the GEU with larger valves, better cams and of course the EFI. But they couldnt quite make up that extra 15-20Hp.
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Tue, 18 June 2002 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well. 54kW is pretty low for 18RG(EU). They come with over 90kW from factory so I'd expect more around 70kW+!!!

I had a 2TG with twin carbs in my KE35.... but it was craps compared to my current 2TGEU.

Surge tank is easy, friend made it up.
Put low pressure pump before it, high pressure pump after.
These can be scavenged from wreckers out of big cressidas (HP) and the like.... I ended up buying a elec lp pump from appco for $85.

Need a bit of hose, bit of solder, bit of wire, bunch of 6-16mm cable ties.... etc.

Still, you could do the whole swap over a weekend and have a mint runner afterwards.
shane
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Tue, 18 June 2002 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl, I beleave that these figures you have quoted are fairly correct, maybe a touch higher, But on the day that's what the dyno gave me.

Cory, don't get me wrong the 18R-G is a great motor and a lot of fun, it's enough to equal a late model Ford Falcon to 120K's and spin the wheels through second gear. When I originally bought this car it came with the motor already fitted and a Engerneers Certificuit, I simply rebuilt it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Tue, 18 June 2002 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cory wrote on Mon, 17 June 2002 10:43 PM

i've also seen pages on the net which say the 18R-GEU has only 120 HP compared with 140 HP from the 18R-G. can anyone give me the real story?

Here's the real story. My 18R-GU originally had carbs, and I converted it to factory EFI. No other mods. I couldn't tell the difference in the top end, but the mid range was much better with EFI. The overall drivability of the car improved 100%, and fuel economy was heaps better as well! Starts easily on cold mornings too, the carbs were always a bitch when it was cold.

I'm never going back to carbies again. Smile
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Tue, 18 June 2002 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 18 June 2002 9:20 PM

Here's the real story. My 18R-GU originally had carbs, and I converted it to factory EFI. No other mods. I couldn't tell the difference in the top end, but the mid range was much better with EFI. The overall drivability of the car improved 100%, and fuel economy was heaps better as well! Starts easily on cold mornings too, the carbs were always a bitch when it was cold.

I'm never going back to carbies again. Smile

Ahh yes... thats the best way to do it.

But, remeber, an EFI converted 18R-G isnt the same as a factory 18R-GEU.
The converted 18R-G will have much more power because of the high compression.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: cost of an 18r-g conversion Wed, 19 June 2002 00:35 Go to previous message
andrewvibert: i'm interested in purchasing you 18-RG depending on the price, condition etc. i've emailed you about it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sprinter vent control wont work??
Next Topic:pictures in columns
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 06:27:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054919719696045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.