Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Early symptoms of broken piston rings????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Mon, 17 March 2003 02:07 Go to next message

Hey all,

can anyone describe what the early symptoms of broken piston rings might be?? any particular noises to look for, blowby, smoke etc?? loss of power?

thanks in advance,
Stewart
  Send a private message to this user    
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Mon, 17 March 2003 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Broken or worn piston rings will allow oil to get into the cylinder and be burnt and come out as an exhaust gas creating a stinky blueish/grey smoke from your exhaust pipe, usually happens when you put your foot down under load.

Dan
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Mon, 17 March 2003 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 3TGTE sounded like a subaru boxer 4 cylinder when the ring lands broke on 1 piston. Power was down significantly.
1jdave
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Thu, 20 March 2003 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blowby is usually a good indication, acompression test will definitely tellall

Re: Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Thu, 20 March 2003 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 3T developed a slight miss, and lost power, though it didnt blow much smoke.

Compression test will not always give the true answer. Better to test for "leak down". and make a descision based on that whether or not to physically check.

Matt

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Fri, 21 March 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for your suggestions ppl,

there is only a little oil smoke, but it's under full load at high rpm, and is from the valve stel seals methinks. has been there since the rebuild.

compression is equal on all cylinders, at about 135psi (it sounds low but cam duration is 275/284) and is only 5psi down after a year.

there is more blowby than when built, but i keep being told that these engines always have a lot of blowby... hmmm

it's hard to tell if power is down atm.... i will do a leak down test and see how that turns out..

this all came about after hearing some new noises.... and seeing the pistons (ex-pistons?) from a certain toymods members old KE38 wagon.... 3 were burnt more than 10mm around the crown, _all_ rings were broken, 1 skirt was cracked and almost falling off Wink

it still ran tho, and didn't blow clouds of smoke, heh heh.

thanks again for the suggestions, i think a teardown may be the best way to check..

Cya, Stewart
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Fri, 21 March 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 21 March 2003 14:16

thanks for your suggestions ppl,

there is only a little oil smoke, but it's under full load at high rpm, and is from the valve stel seals methinks. has been there since the rebuild.

compression is equal on all cylinders, at about 135psi (it sounds low but cam duration is 275/284) and is only 5psi down after a year.

there is more blowby than when built, but i keep being told that these engines always have a lot of blowby... hmmm

it's hard to tell if power is down atm.... i will do a leak down test and see how that turns out..

this all came about after hearing some new noises.... and seeing the pistons (ex-pistons?) from a certain toymods members old KE38 wagon.... 3 were burnt more than 10mm around the crown, _all_ rings were broken, 1 skirt was cracked and almost falling off Wink

it still ran tho, and didn't blow clouds of smoke, heh heh.

thanks again for the suggestions, i think a teardown may be the best way to check..

Cya, Stewart

a teardown? thats a bit dramatic isnt it?

usually its just a bit of blueish/black smoke out the exhaust and a loss in compression, if you have a feel for your car you can actually feel it in 'spirited' downshifts...

also as someone already mentioned oil in the combustion chamber sparkplugs valves etc.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Early symptoms of broken piston rings???? Fri, 21 March 2003 04:53 Go to previous message
a teardown? thats a bit dramatic isnt it?
usually its just a bit of blueish/black smoke out the exhaust and a loss in compression, if you have a feel for your car you can actually feel it in 'spirited' downshifts...
also as someone already mentioned oil in the combustion chamber sparkplugs valves etc.

Rolling Eyes umm, i guess so, but it's not real hard with a K motor Smile

i'll be putting injection in a few months and was going to do a teardown with maybe a new block for the heck of it. go another 20 thou on the bores and another 5 points or so of compression..

i just don't want to motor to blow up and kill the head before then.. i'd hate to have to do all the porting again...

what can you feel on the down shifts?? the odd sound i can hear sounds remarkably like tapping an aluminium piston with a small hammer, kinda hollow and dull, not the higher pitched or sharper metallic sound of pinging...
Cya, Stewart
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ Blues....part 2
Next Topic:Where and how much? Generic 02 sensors........
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 22:10:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055170059204102 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.