Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon6.gif  Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 23 March 2003 11:23 Go to next message
Hey Toymodders. Was wondering if you could answer a few questions regarding blow off valves for me. Nothing too technical.

1) I've been told 1ggte's suffer from using atmospheric BOVs as the stock computer goes crazy due to having an AFM that detects a leak in air and fuc*s the reading up.

2) Atmospheric BOV's are defectable now anyway. Right ?

3) Who has a BOV on a 1ggte or similar setup as a 1ggte i.e. with an AFM. What BOV have you used? is it loud ?

4) Which BOV's make that popping/whistly sound ? I like !!

5) What BOV's have you got (on what car) and how much did you get them for?

6) Do I have to get a recirculating (silent) style BOV for my 1ggte ? I really want the popping whistle sound !!!

(ps if you are gonna complain that BOVs are for rice effect, go start your own thread, dont reply to this Smile

THANKS
  Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 23 March 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. If the 1G has an AFM, this is true. The computer expects an air rush, doesn't get it, then stalls due to over-fuelling. Not so with MAP based engines (eg. 1JZ)

2. In NSW, yes.

3. ...

4. Depends... they all make some sort of noise. Best to hear one installed on a similar engine and decide from there.

5. Stock Toyota BOV (recirc.). Came with the car Razz

6. Recirculating BOV is best for AFM engines. You can get hybrid types which recirc some air, and let some to atmo. See www.gofastbits.com.au for more info.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 23 March 2003 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Soarer !

Any more replies ?!?!?!?!
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 23 March 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The weird thing about atmospheric BOVs not being road legal has all to do with noise pollution rather than any regards with emissions (it's just mildly compressed air after all). This is not that big a deal when you consider that most road cars are better off with a plumb back BOV as they do not loose all the pressure to the atmos and hence have a better spool time.

But it is a little subjective as there is not that much in it really. Though a full stealth motor is kind of fun - silent but deadly........ Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 23 March 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is emissions which makes atmo-venting BOV's illegal. You say it's just compressed air, but that's not true - it contains oil vapour also.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a recirculating one. Otherwise, you will run rich since the air is dump off.

Don't you already have a rice rocket? Keep the rice off the Silly!

Bosch make a good BOV which costs bugger all... Do a search, there's a thread about BOVs going on right now in one of the sections....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to get one of those ~$50 Bosch BOV's for the Saab ordered in from Marlows. Considering they are a fairly straight fit for the one on the 7MGTE, then I will be able to use this:

http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/phil_strong/ga70 bov.htm
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 24 March 2003 10:55

It is emissions which makes atmo-venting BOV's illegal. You say it's just compressed air, but that's not true - it contains oil vapour also.

Here's one thing I don't agree to. How can it be emmissions if the air has never been inside the engine. Just gone through the air filter and back out.
Stupid RTA.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak the sesquential (spelling?) BOV is the one that whistles. mine does, and everyone always comments on how good/different it sounds to other BOV's....
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Les, if you want noise, don't bother with a atmo BOV, get a screamer pipe! And get one for me too! Very Happy
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The air before the turbo does have oil vapour in it due to the crankcase breather (rubber pipe off the head) being plumbed back in (this is done to try to burn excess oil instead of just pumping it straight out), UNLESS you've got an oil catch can that is separate.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger! Forgot about that! Disgusted
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgive my ignorance on this one, I have a venting type BOV fitted to my 1G and it sometimes has a low idle speed, could this have something to do with it???

Other than that It doesn't give any problems. The bosh recirculating set up look the trick though.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !!"

???? So whats the reward.. why should I waste my time responding if there is no reward??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The air coming out of the BOV has also been through the turbo, and any turbo with a few km's on it will leak a small amount of oil through the seals.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Mon, 24 March 2003 13:25

Forgive my ignorance on this one, I have a venting type BOV fitted to my 1G and it sometimes has a low idle speed, could this have something to do with it???

Other than that It doesn't give any problems. The bosh recirculating set up look the trick though.

I don't think it'll have anything to do with your idle. Just make your car run rich when you back off and all the air is vented.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apart from runing rich when backing off (which isn't really a problem) is there a good reason why I should remove my vented BOV. Apart from removing the wank factor Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 1g-gte with a GFB type 1 BOV that is straight atmo. ALthough my car is auto so it doesn't blow smoke on gear changes like a manual would. Mine seems to run alright, no stalling or anything like that?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28... 'cause it's illegal? Smile

you can get plumb backs that make good noises... the noise just comes our of the air filter instead of direct vent (helps if you have a pod filter)
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah when I run high boost levels the factory plumb back BOV will cause used to cause the lid on my air box to pop open....

got onto the clips with some pliers and its a bit tighter now though.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 24 March 2003 11:52

Hey Les, if you want noise, don't bother with a atmo BOV, get a screamer pipe! And get one for me too! Very Happy

well if u tell me what the hell a screamer pipe is u turd !!

AND stop riping my ricer rocket u biatch ! HAHAHAHHA
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
screamer pipe is short straight pipe which is piped up to the wastegate so when it opens the exhaust has no restriction!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently the noise is amazing... just be sure there are no cops around when that baby opens up
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bassaholic55 wrote on Mon, 24 March 2003 16:40

i have a 1g-gte with a GFB type 1 BOV that is straight atmo. ALthough my car is auto so it doesn't blow smoke on gear changes like a manual would. Mine seems to run alright, no stalling or anything like that?

What type of BOV sound does it make ??

Any probs with the cops ??
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 24 March 2003 20:33

apparently the noise is amazing... just be sure there are no cops around when that baby opens up

sounds 'illegal' heheheh Smiley =

come on BOVs man ! i really want one..

if i cant rice my car up any other way, I must at least have a BOV !!!! Surprised
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very illegal... it's unfiltered exhaust!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takes someone from cabra to come up with all these illegals aint that right Nark ! Very Happy

draven, what you got on your 1jz ? (bov wise)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stocker
but pulled off the front bit of my air filter (sshh, dont tell the cops), so you geta little bit of noise coming through
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 24 March 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a pod filter, you should be able to hear a sound from the recirculating BOVs. I do already, and it's just compressor stall.......

Get the screamer pipe!!! Just don't open it up anywhere near piggies!
You ever heard your car without an exhaust? It's freaking awesome!

Plus, it's not that loud. When I drove around with no muffler, my car was no noisier than my friend's 20V AE82. Having the turbos in the way quietens down the exhaust quite a bit.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will be loud, cause the wastegate bypasses the turbo's and dumps the exhaust straight from the engine to the atmosphere, Thats why they call it a screamer. Once you hit the boost limit, it will be heard a couple of suburbs away. Evil or Very Mad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooh yeah, forgot about that... haha

I reckon it'll be OK. Just stay off max boost if there are piggies around.... Very Happy
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want a screamer pipe!!! anyone else got 1?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul (supragte) has one, I am sure he would let it howl for you the next time your in Sydney. Apparently the neighbours don't like it, I can't see why Very Happy
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g'day,

i have an externally venting HKS super sequential BOV on my 1ggte.
Sounds cool, not too loud.

no probs at ALL with idle or any of that crap.

a plumb back wont make noise on a 1g through the air filter, cause the afm is a flap style, any air forced down that way will shut the flap.

Cheers
Stew
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TOY77 wrote on Tue, 25 March 2003 17:39

g'day,

a plumb back wont make noise on a 1g through the air filter, cause the afm is a flap style, any air forced down that way will shut the flap.

Cheers
Stew

Stew, how come it does not affect your engine ? Have you got the stocker computer ?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A venting BOV will never cause the AFM to shut... if this happened, the engine would stall! The sound of the BOV venting can still escape via the filter without air flowing out of the filter though.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak my sequential BOV is atmo venting, and i have a AFM. the only time it stalls the engine from a fuel dump is if i vent it and then go straight to idle, to pull up at the lights.

nornmally when i am driving and change gear i pick it up before the engine gets a heap of fuel anyway...
and if i'm flogging it, i change gear sooooooo damn fast the AFM doesnt have time to dump extra fuel... Laughing

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 25 March 2003 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TOY77 wrote on Tue, 25 March 2003 17:39

g'day,

Cheers
Stew

no probs at all ?? so u got the stock computer or what ?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 30 March 2003 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think im gonna get an atmospheric bov...

there is an autechnica one for $120... with 3 sound settings !

anyone have one of those ?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 30 March 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to butt in, but can you use 2 bovs togeather? I have seen cars with twin HKS SS bovs just wondering if this works?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 30 March 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool 1, i think i may have the answer to your question !

1) for rice effect

2) for super high boost applications to do the job that one bov cant do

UMMM

By the way.. i think the aggte has a recirc BOV !!!! my friend and I saw what looks like an bov that has a line that plumbacks into the the piping.. JCMF... take a look at yours mate !
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 30 March 2003 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have my engine here, but I could pretty safely say there isn't a BOV on any 1GGTE, I will check tomorrow if I go out to the workshop.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Sun, 30 March 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GA70 1G-GTE's definitely don't have a BOV, and I was under the impression that it's the same deal for all 1G's. Plenty of 1G's have aftermarket BOV's fitted in Japan though, so it's not unusual to see one on a 1G.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, you may have been lucky and got one with a BOV, 'coz no 1G-GTEs that I know of came out of the factory with a BOV.

Take a pic for us. You might be looking at the wastegate or something.
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check this out
http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/phil_strong/ga70 bov.htm
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 31 March 2003 10:41

Yeah, you may have been lucky and got one with a BOV, 'coz no 1G-GTEs that I know of came out of the factory with a BOV.

Take a pic for us. You might be looking at the wastegate or something.

will do mate - next week probably !!

ps i dont think its aftermarket...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it look like these?

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
far out nark, my mate is a mechanic he wont mistake them for a BOV !!! Twisted Evil
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, if your mechanic looked as good as you in your avatar, then I'd never question his ability........ Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine just makes normal pssssshhhht sound, nothing crazy.

being an auto, i can just cruise around and not make it go off. Just don't hammer it next to cops and you will have no problem. Also, in my 2 years of driving the soarer i have only ever been pulled up twice, going too slow and 'accelerating too fast'! haha. That is with air filter, BOV and exhaust.

nice cops around the sunny coast usually.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day,

yup, stock computer and no probs.....

though i am going to have to remount it now with my new plenum and throtle body set up!!! I have bout 60cm less intercooler piping now.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might go with a bosch one plumbing it back though.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Mon, 31 March 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 31 March 2003 17:31

Well, if your mechanic looked as good as you in your avatar, then I'd never question his ability........ Laughing

Goddam u are a biatch !! hahahahahaaha !!!

Fellas I think i will prob get the atmo BOV.. being a formwer ricer and all ! Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon10.gif  Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 01 April 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This isn't your car is it Les?

http://www.tamut.com/pics/homepage/gotrice1.jpg

Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Tue, 01 April 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no... transformer boy muahahahahah Laughing

i have much better taste !
The Bruster
Regular

August 2003
Re: Reward for sharing your thoughts on BOVs !! Fri, 22 August 2003 14:38 Go to previous message
Just to add my thoughts Razz

I had a Baily atmos BOV on me series 3 1G-GTE.. 11 psi. it was SO loud peopel stared from 200 meters away.. it was awfull... I hated it.. really annoyed me after teh forst couple of days too LOL

the main reason I took it off was because it was making my car run REALLY badly.... when I changed gear the car eas over fueling so much it was washing the bores.. the car was puffing black smoke when the BOV went off...

the worst bit tho was motorway driving..... that bit where uts partualy open as you not on boost.. but not really on vacuun either when coasting... the car spluttered and felt awfull!!! took it off and all went well again.

Currently looking for a nice neat recirculating installation....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2JZ GE/GTE Similarities and Differences?
Next Topic:Spark plug question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 21:47:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010019063949585 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.