Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » death wobble in steering when i brake.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
barbel
Regular

May 2002
death wobble in steering when i brake. Mon, 24 March 2003 03:55 Go to next message
ok

when i brake my steering wobbles like crazy. i've had a wheel alighment and balance, drives fine. it's only when i brake it gets a bit hairy.

i'v put it down to either warped brakes or a bearing? any ideas.
i've checked and repacked the left bearing, but didnt get around to doing the right one.

any ideas?

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Mon, 24 March 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a warped disk. Pull both fron disks off and set them on somthing flat (granet kitched top or similar) and then you'll know! Usualy the fix for this is new disks (trying to machine a warp out is usualy pointless) and new pads.

Take a good look at the pads as well, and that the pads are coming onto the disk evenly ie, at the same time.

Craig.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Mon, 24 March 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crap, was hoping no one would say that...

anyone got any good vented discs lying around for a sprinter?

BigBadBenny
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Mon, 24 March 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second Haggis.
Warped rotors is what it will be. The cheapest way to get out of it would be to get them machined, there are lots of Mobile guy's that do it, and the really honest ones will measure your rotor thickness, because it's ilegal to have them undersized.
and also go and get new pads either path you take.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Mon, 24 March 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while your doing that you may aswell do the hilux upgrade! nah youd prob wanna stick to sprinter vented discs if you got them.

another possibility is uneven braking due to one caliper clamping harder than the other although this would cause the car to pull to one side rather than wobble.

does your peddle need to be pushed in further after hitting a pot hole or taking a hard corner? if yes than its most definately the wheel bearing.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Mon, 24 March 2003 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Evosti, what do you mean by "do i need to push the pedal in more after hitting a pot hole or turning a corner"

also does anyone know what the minimum thickness of vented sprinter discs is?

cheers
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its not a warped disc, then there is a very good chance that one of your calipers is shagged!
in other words when you put on your brakes the pad is jambing inside the caliper!
just a thought after seeing this sort of thing at my mates JAX store
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for new vented discs try you nearest EBC stockist (i think they are also avaliable in the "turbo groove" style as well(ie slotted) when i needed new rear discs went to auto-bahn (in SA) and they came straight from the UK in about a week, price was excellent (about 1/4 price of discs from toyota!!).
Shteeve
Regular

July 2002

Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm sorry to hijack the thread, but what would cause one caliper to clamp harder than the other.... and sometimes vice versa, like sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right?

im getting this problem sometimes with my celica, and hate having to worry about my car not always braking in a straight line
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your car pulls to the left or right while braking, it's more likely to be a wheel alignment issue rather than a problem with the brakes. It can also be caused by large tyres on an uneven road surface (a phenomenon known as "tramlining").
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will take a punt here and guess that you have the AE102 94-96 Sprinter. The min. thickness for the vented rotor on one of these is 20mm.
Cheers,
Mitch.
digitalts
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brakes? ... What are they?
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you don't feel the pedal pulsing, then i wouldn't suspect the rotors. you should be feeling the pedal WAY BEFORE the steering shakes if they are the cause.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok last night when i was out i did feel the pedal pulsing, but only when i was braking hard from a decent speed, like 100km. dont feel much at around 60 though, or through the steering for that matter.

and by the look of my avatar, it's and ae86 and not a ae102.

i'v have been told that orig thickness is 18mm and min is 17mm, does this sound right to anyone?

cheers
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see a lot of avatars that have absolutely no bearing on what the person is or what they drive, so I don't take them as representative.
I've been told that AE86 Sprinters don't have vented front disks as original equipment, but 234mm solid front rotors.
So, why does your car have non-original front rotors ?
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Tue, 25 March 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jap spec had vented, thats what i have...

cheers
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then I can't help you.
On some rotors the minimum thickness is stamped on the 'bottom' of the rotor, that is, along where the venting holes are that make it a vented rotor.
My Brembo rotors were stamped in that location.
Good luck otherwise.
Cheers,
Mitch.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that.
i doubt the toyota ones will hqave anything like that on there as there is little space for writing.

i've also been told to read an interesting article about warped rotors in the mean time. they claim that the majority of the time it's uneven wear of pads and build up of the compound on the rotors which causes the wobbles.

http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthre ad.php?s=&threadid=67140064&highlight=warp ed+rotors

cheers
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking at DBA's website, for vented rotors of about the same vintage on 54mm diameter stub axles, I would guess that these are either 22mm new 21mm min (SV11) or 18mm new 17mm min (AE82 Twin Cam). Nothing else seems to get close. Best way to find out is to take a wheel off and put a pair of veniers/calipers across the rotor and measure it. It will be either 22mm or 18mm or just less, and that makes it a pretty clear cut case.
Cheers,
Mitch.
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont waste your time with dba (both discs mentioned by ra23celica are for FWD cars so i would suspect that they are completly diff to jap vented sprinter discs) i know for a fact that dba dont make the sprinter vented discs, as earlier go to a shop which stocks ebc discs and pads, they will have a parts book that will contain all relevant info and if your discs are stuffed then they will be able to order them in. (believe me when my rear discs were worn out i went every where in an attempt to get new discs nobody would/could help cross matching with other car models also was a waste of time, admittedly fronts may be a diff story, but i would just see an ebc stockist.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't be so sure that it's a disc problem.
I had a company VS Commodore where the steering wheel shook under brakes only from high speed.
After numerous tests and replacing parts, found out the steering rack was stuffed and was allowing movement of the wheels.
Now I'm sure I've got you completely confused! To machine a disk is only about $15 each so get that done first & if the problem goes away, then its fixed.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

funny thing is i changed the rack prob 2 months ago. it was semi rebuilt, meaning the outer ball joints were not changed as they were ok, the inner ones were.

i read on performance forums that it could be uneven pad wear also, plus i am feelin a shudder on the brake pedal. just never took notice of it before
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

funny thing is i changed the rack prob 2 months ago. it was semi rebuilt, meaning the outer ball joints were not changed as they were ok, the inner ones were.

i read on performance forums that it could be uneven pad wear also, plus i am feelin a shudder on the brake pedal. just never took notice of it before
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for lack of reply. but here goes:

when i say does your pedal need to be pushed in further, i mean say you have to push the brake pedal in 5cms before it starts working. when you take a corner hard or hit a pothole, does it still take the same pedal travel to start working? if yes the bearing is gone.

secondly, almost all discs have the min thickness stamped on the inside. id give it a look worth a try.

like i said before, its unlikely to be uneven caliper clamping forces as this would pull the car to one side rather than make it wobble unless the wobbling is caused by you trying to correct it.

as you say it happens more at high speeds it is also possible its due to wheel allignment issues like someone said. get one done it only costs around $30 and your supposed to get them done every year anyway.

BUT, after all that it probably is warped disc Smile
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah, it think it is the rotor's. i've had a wheel alignment not long ago and a wheel balance.

thanks for all your help people. will let ya know how it goes after the weekend.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: death wobble in steering when i brake. Wed, 26 March 2003 11:21 Go to previous message
My suggestion would be to try and get new rotors, if they're going to be very pricey though, then maybe spend the money on a brake upgrade!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rebuild R154?
Next Topic:turbo oil-seals
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 09:35:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068609714508057 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.