Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mr^Sportivo^VXi
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Sun, 23 March 2003 01:32 Go to next message
I have just recently upgraded from 15 inch alloys to 17 inch alloys on my 1998 Vienta. The new Alloys (GTP) are made especially for this model Camry/Vienta and of course were supplied by Toyota.

Now I had the tyres and wheels fitted- balanced and aligned BUT! the car steers/drifts to the left - I have taken it back 2 times to Well Known Tyre/Mag place and they still dont have it right.

Can anybody share the reason for this - NOw the tyre place said it happens when you go from 15 - 17 - but now im confused because thats what the majority of cars have done that go there. !!
  Send a private message to this user    
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Sun, 23 March 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IF its only a SLIGHT pull to the left....thats normal as most roads tend to lean to the left a bit

try it somewhere dead flat
like a big carpark or something at night when no ones in it

Ta
Mani
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Sun, 23 March 2003 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went from 15" to 18" in my Vienta a few years back. Got an alignment as soon as I got the wheels put on. All settings were still perfect, and never had any problems at all.

You will get ever so slight drift to the left due to the camber of the road, but I never noticed it in my Vienta, even after going from a 15x6 wheel to an 18x8.
Mr^Sportivo^VXi
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Mon, 24 March 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your responses guys..

I have tried many roads and they mostly were straight .. Basically at first I thought that was the reason so I ignored it for a few days -I had the person who works at the Tyre place (TTF) gave it a drive and agreed that the alignment was not done right he admitted it was registering fine on the Alignment Computer as did it 3 times but the car is pulling to the left and its not slightly its atually if i let go for les than 4 seconds I will be on the footpath.

Im just Confused in why a company like this cant do it right . Ok didnt work the first time but Im up to the 3rd attemt and im due to go back in a few days to try again. Maybee I should just take it to BOb Jane - I hear they have the best equipment.

Generation 4 Camry Vienta V6 Sportivo
Rattlehead
Regular

May 2002
Re: Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Mon, 24 March 2003 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I upgraded from 15" to 17" and it drifts to the left. It's annoying - does it wear out ur tyres more??

Anyways, I better hurry up and get it aligned coz it should drive perfect.
Mr^Sportivo^VXi
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Mon, 24 March 2003 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thinking that this problem wouls wear my new tyres out easily I asked the guy at the Tyre place if this would do this - he said it will not wear out the tyres (I alway thought having a bad allignment can cause it to)

Anyway Im due to take it back tommorow morning - I tell you what its gonna be ther first thing just in case these gyuys ca not do the job right Im going elsewhere.

-Good point - but I very much doubt its the Bushes as this was not occuring when I had the 15's and I believe there is a noise when turn in that direction if the bushes were to be the blame - Plus the car has only 100,000 ks - My previous Cars bushes died at about 150,000ks (Ford Corsair 89 model)

Keeps ya posted on the Outcome.

Twinky
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Thu, 27 March 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If all the angles are done right, then the pull could be due to the tyres (even if they are new). Try rotating them front to back and see how that goes. If that doesnt work, then go to another place as the other peoples machine might be out.
Mr^Sportivo^VXi
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Wheel Alignment - Has anyone here had this problem - upgrading from 15-17 inch Thu, 27 March 2003 23:42 Go to previous message
OK - GOING NUTS was me over the last 2-3 days-

UPDATE:
Wednesday - I took The Veinta to The place who originally installed my Tyres and GTP's they did a Wheel Alignment - thing is they wheel alligned it for a 97 Vienta wide Body) Where Mine is the model after. I though hmm pretty stopid but at least that must be the problem------- They alligned to the correct modem - same thing -

So CrackeD da Shits and said imill be back in 2-3 hoiusr expect it to be fixed - came back after they were still test driving it- sTILL NOT FIXEd-------Basically the Camber cannot be adjusted on these cars.

Next I went to BOb Jane they advised to do a whell alignment and install a Camber Bolt - so I booked it for the next day.

MEanwhile I wanted a further Opinion so I went to TyrePower the guy there blamed my new Firenza Tyres - said try diff ones - I went back and tried some Sava's same problem. The guys at TTF were VERRY Help full - and came to a conclusion something might be bent.

BOb jane did there recomendation - but SAME Problem drift to the left but no steering movement - Today i went back and alligner took me for a drie in my car to test drive it said its normal due to the roads and having wider tyres. At least now the steering doesnt move.

I might just go to Pedders and do a Front end check make sure the Conrol arm is not bent etc. just to be sure.

By the way the car looks so great I really shuld post a pic of it soon.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone know of any upcoming dyno days in sydney
Next Topic:Wrecker with parts for Cressida
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:08:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064888000488281 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.