Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Gukster
Occasional Poster

March 2003
icon12.gif  Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sat, 29 March 2003 04:45 Go to next message
Hi,

I am interested in gettin in to doin some rally racin at club level and have some fun could I get some Ideas of this forum as to what type of car would be good for this,also Being a Toyota fan, I was thinkin of a early model celica, with a 4age, I would like to be able to use the car on the road as well,what type of roll cage do I need, other mods etc etc , also what engineers reports are needed, eg, rollcage etc, etc ( but not as a daily driver, I have a car for that), I'm in my mid 30's, so it is time for my mid life crisis!!!!

I have a bit of an idea, but help would be GREAT!!

thanks in advance

Luke
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sat, 29 March 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if there's a class that would let you run a 4AGE in an early model Celica.. There's usually restrictions that you can only run whatever engine was originally fitted to that type of car (i think).

If you're looking to get started, the Gemini series is a really good way to go. Pretty much everything is controlled, so you don't necessarily have to compete against bigger budgets, just better drivers..

If you're dead set on sticking with the Toyota badge, then I'd say an early model Celica with a 2T/3TG would be the way to go! Smile
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sat, 29 March 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its your first time in rallying the best bet is to start in the lowest (and cheapest ) class, despite how good you think you are, those "little" errors are very costly to repair, especially if you dont have sponsorship, and in the current political enviroment sponsorship will be difficult to come by in the lesser known categories.

something like the gemini series would be a good place to start as there are usually plenty of well set up cars for sale at the end of each season and the cars are allready well developed so the test is really in the driving not the cars.
Chris_RA60
Regular

May 2002
Re: Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sat, 29 March 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you should be on a Datsun forum..
That aside, I've allways wanted a ta22 or an ae86 rally car, though the rarer the car is, the more your gonna have to pay for replacement panels, and lights etc.. when you hit a wall/tree.

Wish we had a gemi series down here
Gukster
Occasional Poster

March 2003
icon14.gif  Re: Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sat, 29 March 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your replies!,

This Gemini series sounds great, can you tell me where I might get some more info on it!, an "equal" class is just the thing I would be looking for to start out with.

Regards
Luke
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sat, 29 March 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will need to go to a CAMS office to get your license and the current CAMS book, they will be able to give you the contact details for the Gemini rounds, alternately you could search thier website for the contacts and maybe theres a Gemini website as well?
shinzui
Regular

November 2002

Re: Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sat, 29 March 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a gemini website: http://www.hotgemini.com
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rally cars!!, How do I start??, and what would be a good car?? Sun, 30 March 2003 02:00 Go to previous message
A Gt4 if you want dirt rallying there is the best start !

Adelaide jap dismantlers have one for a tad over 6 K that you could buy ( its cheap because it was imported AFTER the new car import laws and couldnt get road registered ) Club wise - Gt4 would still be on the money - all wheel drive turbo !

just needs minor adjustments to the rear swaybars and a few other tweaks to handle excedllent for the track

For cheapo fun though - the guys are right - the Gemini series is a good start
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:BMPR5D
Next Topic:LADYSX - Smashed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 07:46:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067770481109619 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.