Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Ongoing problem with 3SGTE, dropping cylinders/misfiring

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Ongoing problem with 3SGTE, dropping cylinders/misfiring Mon, 31 March 2003 02:42 Go to next message
Hey All,

Ive already spent a lot of time trying to solve this problem my engine's having, so much so that ive tried to swap every component over from another 3SGTE of the same model in perfect working condtion to no avil. These are ECU, Air Flow Meter, Distributor, Leads, Plugs, Coil, Ignitor, Fuel Pump, Throttle position Sensor, EFI Main Relay. And I have no ECU Faults,so I don't believe its the knock sensor, I will still unplug the TVIS and test this, I am going to replace the fuel filter today as well incase its blocked up. But what happens is it seems to hit a brick wall ie rev limit, from around 3.5-4K rpm onwards above 75% throttle, free revving or under load, it drops single or multiple cylinders, by misfiring, and shown by excess amount of unburnt fuel going out of the exhaust. Ive even tried moving wires and seems to no avail, it just keeps doing it.

If anybody has any ideas, Id be more than happy to listen, as I am going out of my brain trying to solve this...Its not a common problem I take it! And everybody ive spoken to is baffled as well.

Regards,

Michael
  Send a private message to this user    
1jdave
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Ongoing problem with 3SGTE, dropping cylinders/misfiring Mon, 31 March 2003 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
work out wether it is fuel or wether its spark by loosening plug leads and lifting them 1 by 1 while holding eng revs up in range ( ie cause it to miss) sounds like spark?

Re: Ongoing problem with 3SGTE, dropping cylinders/misfiring Mon, 31 March 2003 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it boost related or does it miss on a free rev too ??

this could easily be incorrect plug gap if you are running more than stock boost.

I am assuming you have changed the plugs first and they are not fouled.

Matt

[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Ongoing problem with 3SGTE, dropping cylinders/misfiring Mon, 31 March 2003 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YoJimbo,

Does it free-revving as well as underboost...thats what startles me....cause of the misfiring it builds up around 8psi boost in neutral...but thats not relevant just sounds pretty damn cool!

It does sound like spark...but I am not convinced...gotta get hold of a fuel pressure gauge and test it...possible the FPR could be stuffed..or an injector holding open and flooding a cylinder...I am going to put a new fuel filter in today and readjust the plug gaps, put on a new set of leads and see what else I can do...

jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Ongoing problem with 3SGTE, dropping cylinders/misfiring Tue, 01 April 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is your out put voltage from your alternator stable?

Internal regulator on its way out?
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Ongoing problem with 3SGTE, dropping cylinders/misfiring Tue, 01 April 2003 11:18 Go to previous message
Ive tested alternator voltage under misfire conditions and it appears to hold a constant 14.4V output. So I sort of labelled that out of it...Replaced fuel filter today, whacked on new leads, set timing correctly..and still does the same thing...each lead on the coil appears to have constant spark...so I am next to look at the fuel pressure regulator..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gearbox swap
Next Topic:Body Rubbers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 07:06:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051460266113281 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.