Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cplux
Regular

September 2002
supergharger problems Thu, 27 March 2003 18:58 Go to next message
Hi,
Have finally finished installing the sc14 supercharger into my 4y-c hilux. It is an air cleaner --> supercharger ---> carb setup. Have hooked up temorary air cleaner and carby tubing, and went to drive it to a place for proper stuff. when it revs above about 2600rpm even without the sc engaged (clutch) the engine races to redline. what would be causing this, clutch spins freely by hand but turns sc a little with engine revs. I have the 3 vent lines in the sc vented to manifold. dont have much of an idea on charger setup, just did the bracketry. any other probs i might encounter?? just want to run charger in standard form.

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: supergharger problems Thu, 27 March 2003 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its while ur going along and on full throttle ummm could it be your acutual clutch slipping heaps? maybe its not fully engaging? and when u hit some power it just slipps causing the motor to freely rev?

just an idea
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: supergharger problems Fri, 28 March 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant help with your SC question but

what year model hilux is it?
is it 2WD?
did it come from factory with the 4Y-C?

just need some info, i want to replace a tired 3Y-C with a 4Y-C without having to engineer it.

thanks

cplux
Regular

September 2002
Re: supergharger problems Sun, 30 March 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
model is yn67 four wheel drive, factory 4y-c (seem pretty rare) 2/88 model, you whouldnt have any probs upgrading to 4y-c, as far as i know everything bolts up same. I am going to go 4y-e when this one dies.

It seems as though the engine vacuum through the carb is causing the probs, makes the s.c spin itself without clutch engaged, does anyone know how i tell if the bypass valve in the sc is working?? have tried connecting and disconnecting vaccum hoses to vent holes no difference in air volume or anything. i think i need an external bypass valve anyone got any details on these?? need it to be robust, 4bee cops a flogging.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: supergharger problems Sun, 30 March 2003 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no bypass valve IN the blower - its a seperate thing on the toyota enines. The three hoses are just to keep equal pressure on the oil seals to prevent leaks. If you want to be able to switch the blower off, then you really should put a bypass valve in, or expect some fierce fuel consumption! Also, I'm not sure about the 4Y carb, but many carbs aren't designed at all for any kind of pressure feeding - is it maybe opening the secondary as it comes onto boost? If you're planning on changing later anyway, change to EFI now - probably cost less to get it working with the blower than the carb Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: supergharger problems Sun, 30 March 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for a bypass valve, you could try the original one from a 4agze/1ggze, or maybe an R33 skyline blow off valve.
cplux
Regular

September 2002
Re: supergharger problems Sun, 30 March 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what sort of carb would work?? would a webber 32/36 work. I though that about the secondary too, it is vaccum operated so maybe this causes problems. I thought there was an internal bypass in the charger (from what i have read maybe didnt understand properly)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: supergharger problems Sun, 30 March 2003 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a look at the blower - see how there's no place air COULD bypass?

As for what carb to use, I can't suggest anything too definate, one possibility is to put the blower after the carb and do it the easy way
cplux
Regular

September 2002
Re: supergharger problems Sun, 30 March 2003 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have heard its not good to put this style sc after carb???
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: supergharger problems Sun, 30 March 2003 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You heard correct; the SC series superchargers are positive displacement, which means you're going to run into problems as soon as the throttle plate starts to close. Of course you can set it up so the SC clutch only engages when at WOT, and I assume that's what cplux is trying to do.
cplux
Regular

September 2002
Re: supergharger problems Tue, 01 April 2003 09:48 Go to previous message
what do you mean by WOT?? wide open throttle?? if so this is pretty much the aim.

purchased a bosch bypass valve today and installed it, think i need two but it has helped a bit, might need two, still revs uncontrolably sometimes but not as much, it is after you give it a bootfull, think it is secondary jamming as i got it to do it when reving car by linkages in engine bay, am going to try a stonger return spring and two bypass to release pressure more quickly when backing off.

just so i have it right on the bosch valve the bottom end (opposite vaccum connection) is the charge side and the other is the vent/return correct??

also the valve that the 3 ventlines on the sc goto what is its purpose, can i throw it out and connect hoses to air cleaner?
cos i broke one of the hose connections off.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 April 2003 10:11]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sprinter head light globes!
Next Topic:WANTED!! photos of pistons and blocks!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 07:59:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045039653778076 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.