Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
$yp)-(y
Newcomer

April 2003
icon8.gif  76 celica steering Wed, 02 April 2003 17:46 Go to next message
i just got a 76 celica wanting 2 do it up when i realise the steering sucks the big floppy Crying or Very Sad HELP! what is a poor young chap 2 do?
  Send a private message to this user    
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 76 celica steering Wed, 02 April 2003 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thing is cause the car is so old, the steering box would be worn, your tie rod ends need replacing, your idler are i probably worn as hell, so i reckon if you spend about $400 bucks you will have perfect steering again, not to mention a good wheel balance and alignment.
JUSTIN
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 76 celica steering Wed, 02 April 2003 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u got a haynes or gregorys celica manual, there is a method of adjusting the steering box in there that may help you.

my steering has become a little sloppier than usual and i will be giving it a try this weekend to see if it works.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your best bet is to take it to a good suspension shop and get them to give it the once-over. I spent a few hundred bucks on my RA23 recently and it made a world of difference to the steering feel. Sadly these cars have recirculating-ball steering, so it will never feel as good as a decent rack-and-pinion setup. Sad
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just went through mine like a bag of salts and replaced everything except the box. Much better now but still needs work check that your chassis has no cracks in it around the box and shocks etc are in good nick because these also add to really poor handling.
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even though i didnt make this thread, im thanking u's because i was also going to ask the same question... just thought i would ask does anyone know the best place in adelaide for this type of thing?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not that tricky to do it yourself if your on a budget the only things that i had to get other people to do was pressing the ball joints and bushs out of the lower control arm and a wheel alignment.
$yp)-(y
Newcomer

April 2003
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks 4 yer help guys gives me the big warm fuzzy feeling
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhh group hug Very Happy
$yp)-(y
Newcomer

April 2003
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooh! just 1 more question could i grab all the steering crap from a later model with rack steering?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone changed a 76 celicas steering over to r&p? also how big a difference will neophane bushings (yes i cant spell but u know what i mean) make compared to new rubber ones. i would suspect they would sharpen steering slightly but decrease ride?

thanks

Daniel
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm interesting... ha does anyone know what bushes look like when there old and dry... i do squashed and cracked.. theres a reason why the celicas no on the road yet... Laughing Laughing Laughing oh well, soon enough my friends... Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 76 celica steering Thu, 03 April 2003 13:17 Go to previous message
Changing the steering type is a fairly major engineering exercise, and you'd really have to know what you're doing to pull it off successfully. That said, I'm sure it's been done by someone somewhere.

It's pretty obvious when bushes need replacing - old, cracked rubber which looks like it's about to turn to dust = time to replace. Urethane bushes are longer lasting and much stiffer than rubber, so they'll give better feel through the steering wheel and keep the suspension geometry more accurate. The downside is a slightly harsher ride.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Water Pump in an AE82
Next Topic:ta23/ra23 question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 23:38:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050909519195557 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.