Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What do these do (18R)?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

What do these do (18R)? Tue, 01 April 2003 06:49 Go to next message
Hi all...

I have a greogory's manual here which covers the 18R-C.
I have noticed that my 18R has some extra bolts near the upper chain guide that are not shown in the manual (not on the 18R-C).

Can anyone explain the function of these?

http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/temp/MVC-003F.JPG

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What do these do (18R)? Tue, 01 April 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bottom one is for the timing chain tensioner and the top one im not sure.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What do these do (18R)? Tue, 01 April 2003 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, well i gathered they would have somthing to do with the timing chain tensioner as there is nothing else around there.
Would be nice to have more specific information.
Guess ill have to find a manual that covers the 18R.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What do these do (18R)? Wed, 02 April 2003 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The top is a little valve almost like a check valve from memory. It regulates the oil that gets to the chain tensioner piston. If you have a really rattely chain take the regulator out and get it ultra-sonically cleaned i did this to mine and it quitened it down heaps.
Oh yea these arnt extra bolts they are on every 18-r
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: What do these do (18R)? Wed, 02 April 2003 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go grab a Haynes manual. I got mine from Big W for like $30 they are excellent. I think mine is from 77-85?? They cover the 18r and 18r-c a good purchase i wouldnt have been able to replace my timing chain without it Smile
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What do these do (18R)? Wed, 02 April 2003 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Wed, 02 April 2003 09:49

The top is a little valve almost like a check valve from memory. It regulates the oil that gets to the chain tensioner piston. If you have a really rattely chain take the regulator out and get it ultra-sonically cleaned i did this to mine and it quitened it down heaps.
Oh yea these arnt extra bolts they are on every 18-r

Interesting...
My timing chain is rattling which is why im looking at this.
Although, it seems to be more of a slackness rattle caused by excessive wear, so ill have to look at replacing the lot.

Is changing the chains enough?
Or should i also replace the sprockets?
Of course ill change the tensioners if required.

I said "extra" BTW, because they are not on the 18R-C, which i have a manual for.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What do these do (18R)? Thu, 03 April 2003 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You dont need to replace the bolts themselves the top will just need a clean and when you pull the bottom out there will be a big spring behind it pull this out and then remove the piston you cant do anything to this except check how much wear it has the piston will probably be stuck in by hydraulic lock but you will figure it out. If the rest of the engine is in good nick except for the chains and tensioners then just replace the lot realistically it will probably take a day to do and a timing chain kit cost me $80 about 6 months ago from autopro.
Have fun!!
Jason
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What do these do (18R)? Thu, 03 April 2003 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Jason...

The rest of my 18R is in really good condition, quite supprising really Smile
It doesnt use any oil or water, doesnt smoke even during a good thrashing... and on top of that, it pulls quite well.

Looks like ill need a 18R manual of some type before i attempt to install new chain bits, i only want to do it once, so ill do it right the first time.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What do these do (18R)? Thu, 03 April 2003 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you dont want to buy the manual i can probably scan the relevant pages and email them to you.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What do these do (18R)? Thu, 03 April 2003 09:49 Go to previous message
Yeh, that would be brilliant if you could do that, thanks...

I have a manual that covers all my car, except it covers the 18RC, which is ok for most things... so far these bolts are the only thing ive found different between the 18R and RC on the block or head.

My email addr is:
mwp@overclockers.com.au

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mines ECU
Next Topic:electronic speedo on 20v???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:53:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048949718475342 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.