Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Ideas for a Road-Bike Wed, 02 April 2003 10:33 Go to next message
Hey all

Contemplating Buying a roadbike for myself

What are some good options for some 250cc's ???

Thanx
Mani
  Send a private message to this user    
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only option for a 250cc is a Honda CBR, any two stroke 250 get long in the tooth very fast and is usually why ppl sell them...

i used to ride a CBR250 and it went forever, 40000k's and still ran like a dream, with only a service every 10,000 (BTW 40000k's is ALOT for a bike)

since then i've graduated to a 954 Fireblade (fuckin scary bike, i've personally done a 11sec 1/4 on it)

but yeah, honda CBR is the way to go for a beginer, nice power and reliability, and you can pick them up for cheap nowadays, like $4000 for a decent low k's example
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CBR 250 is the way to go!
they rev all day and very hard to kill from what ive seen!

I had a GPZ 250 ninja as my learners bike, good fun and very light, great for thoughing around corners!
I now have a ZX10 1000cc ninja, bit of a step up, but fun none the less!
from the factory they do a 9.8 1/4 and top out around the 330 mark!
lateraluss
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out the rgv range before wasting any time with the 4's. Yeah they rev but there flat all the way through. Suzuki Rgv 250 used alot for production racing heaps of parts around.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a nsr250 and it's a pain to maintain, dirty noisy and smells. But it is without doubt the highest performing vehicle I've driven. Absolutely explosive. If you want fun at no expense, get a 2stroke (rgv's are better) otherwise, buy a bucket and wait till you can get a decent bike, a 250 4stroke is slow and useless.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YOGI8U wrote on Thu, 03 April 2003 12:55

I now have a ZX10 1000cc ninja, bit of a step up, but fun none the less!
from the factory they do a 9.8 1/4 and top out around the 330 mark!

You say a stock ZX10 is quicker than:
ZZR1100 (Which replaced them)
CBR1100XX (One of which I owned, and they are quicker than a ZZR1100)
ZX12R (Quicker again!)
GSX1300R (Universally acknowledged as the quickest (Top end) production bike EVER made...They do 310kp/h out of the box. (I know a bloke who had one at 300...) I also believe that high 9s are as good as they get stock - and that by VERY good riders!

Please, tell me you're joking! Laughing

Claims like that remind me of blokes saying "Yeah, I've got a '92 GSXR750 with an exhaust and jet-kit and it'll do 280..."
Complete and utter bullshit!
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im looking at getting a road bike soon aswell (as soon as my bank account recovers from my engine conversion).

From what Ive found so far is that an RGV is the way to go, its definetly what Im going to get. from what Ive heard they are great for just riding around but if you want to go touring your better off going a 4 stroke.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK ive heard CBR's are good ....but a guy at work said they are a bit overpriced for what they are ??

Anywayz i have $5000 to buy a 250

CBR a good choice then ???

Ta
Mani
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a RVF 400
and eat cbr's
FaT_RollA
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u got ya full licence already ? if so a CBR 250 is the way to go. Top bike,a mate bought a 95 with a pipe and barely over 10,000 k's for 5,500 in top condition
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbr's are for l and p drivers, you'd wanna get something bigger and better when your off them.
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Thu, 03 April 2003 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a CBR250 that never had a problem even tho i flogged the crap out of it.
I now have a ZX9R, i have personaly had it to 280km/h but backed off as i was running out of road, it was still pulling hard and still had a few revs to go befor it would have toped out.the only mod is it has a magnum carbon fiber exahust. Cool
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Fri, 04 April 2003 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah havent even got my L's yet

So CBR sounds the way to go

Ta ppl
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sat, 05 April 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once you're off your L's and P's you wanna get something bigger than 250cc Smile

I can personally recommend the ducatti 996 for your second bike
they're pretty damn quick
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sat, 05 April 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Duke 996...For a second bike? *Rolls on floor laughing* Laughing
Not that they're not a great thing: They are! But, at $30K+ most second-bike riders wouldn't (and shoudn't) be getting on something like that.

They handle better than...anything, but they are not a forgiving bike, particularly at "car parking" speeds, and are definitely not for inexperienced riders!
*Cringes at the thought of a "2nd bike" rider trying to park a 996 and falling on his/her ass in front of his/her mates* Shocked
littlepvan
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sat, 05 April 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
30 000??? try 10. www.bikepoint.com.au
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sat, 05 April 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wont even bother looking...

Remember the the old Don adds? (Is Don...Is good!)

Try it this way...

Ducati 996 $10K

Is 10k...Is Fucked!

Say no more...

Try checking Redbook as a guide to what they (in any reasonable condition) should be worth.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sat, 05 April 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the thing is
i love bikes for cruising not burling really
so a 250 cc is what im gonna have even long after im off my L's and P's or whatever

so yeah i just want a 250 cc to cruise and also for the novelty of having a quarter litre

so yeah just a good performance and quality build 250cc lads, $5000 to go with, and 1995+

Ta
Mani

[Updated on: Sat, 05 April 2003 13:20]

toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sun, 06 April 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the CBR is a never-fail option...

as i've said, dont get a 2-stroke unless your determined to keep a regimental serviceing schedule, plus they smell like a oil fire and are shite for cruising...

Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sun, 06 April 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The RGV 250's are great BUT if you dont maintain them your gonna get stuffed around, we didnt get the power valves rebuilt on ours (89mod with 96 barrels orange paint with customsticker kit and STRAIGHT THRU NO BAFFLE MUFFLERS)now they are siezed up (more work for me) They handle great with adjustable suspension front and rear and the 92mod onwards u can get a shit load of race trick bits for them, so now im going to have to get the other rgv on the road! its the limited pepsi, Dont forget the ZX2C or the R2.But if you are just crusing DONT BUY A TWO STROKE IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME FOR, youll be out of the power band all the time.Just remember the rgv,aprilla rs250,kr1/kr1s, tzr250 and nsr250 92model onwards are not learner legal,do you know about the new rules up to 550cc but under 150kw/per tonne which means slow arsed road bikes but almost all of the trail bikes, ever thought of a rs125 or a CAGIVA MITO 125 (its got a 7!!!!! speed box. Go the CBR250rr its got the twin disks at the front and not the single dont forget helmate,boots,gloves and jacket, and grab a set of draggin jeans or a set of leathers.Get a after market muffler for your new bike and youll hear it from ages away, and with 20,000rpm to play with youll have time of your life, and the nasho will be calling u.The CBR can and will get you into trouble itll do 170 by coppers radar so it is fast enough on the road, and youll have to use the clutch to get the front wheel up but theyr a good bike. Maybe we should have a bike run as well as a car run then?

[Updated on: Sun, 06 April 2003 08:11]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sun, 06 April 2003 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biased99 wrote on Sat, 05 April 2003 17:57

Try checking Redbook as a guide to what they (in any reasonable condition) should be worth.

The redboox and glasses guides arent always correct as far as i see it

$6500 from redbook and $8500 for glasses is apparently what a mk2 supra is worth
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sun, 06 April 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True...To a point.

But to say that you'll get a 996 in good condition for $10K, when the redbook lists them at $20K+ at their cheapest is, in my opininion, fallacy.

As for the listed prices, my wife and I have been shopping around for a VFR800 recently; We're damned if we can find any reasonable examples for anything like what the Redbook says they should be worth - they're actually going for more! (Proving that the "value discrepancy" can work both ways!)
FNK11Y
Regular

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Mon, 07 April 2003 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have never riden before
hop on a CBR and see if u could learn to ride in that posture (low bars etc) and at low speeds..

im not sure what changes they have made but before u couldnt ride a 2 stroke on your Learners,

if u want looks check out the cagiva mito Smiley =
just dont start it unless your prepared to laugh

isnt a late model RR worth 6-7 these days?
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Tue, 08 April 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the legality or riding a 2-stroke on your learners depends on which state you are in, I know it is legal in S.A
AE86
Regular

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Tue, 08 April 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can get an NSR250 (with the single sided swingarm) for $5K you must buy it. Far and away the best 250 stroker on the market. If you can't get one of them, go for the RGV. If you can't get an RGV then buy a $1000 shitter to get you past your L's. Then go buy a 400 or 600. If you have self control and aren't a showoff, you will have no probs with that size of bike.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Tue, 08 April 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like i said ....even after my L's im sticking with a 250cc i reckon....like i said b4
i say that now anyway

whats the diff between the CBR250, CBR250r and CBR250rr

can anyone get any specs for me for the diff models ?

TA
Mani
94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Tue, 08 April 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to own a Kawasaki ZX2R. It was a good looking and zippy bike. Excellent 250 in my opinion. I sold it in order to buy a brand new Yamaha R6.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sun, 27 April 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh
im breaking my quarter litre idea already

plan is....buy a cheap crapper for now
then buy a beast later when im off my L's and P's

Thanx for your help guys

Mani
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sun, 27 April 2003 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mani go the cbr for sure, mainly for reasons already stated. as for reliability ive had mine for about 3 years, its done
87 000kms and has spent a lot of that time at around 16 000rpm!!
i would like a bigger bike but still love the 250 and plan to never sell it. the only reason you need a bigger bike is to do proper wheelies, (these need the clutch dumped at 21 000rpm!)
also the retail on them never seems to change! you could sell it for a similar price in a few years (unless you rack up the km's that i have!)
you can get them really cheap too even if you get the single r, there is some differences but the only main one ive been told of is the single disc, rr has twin discs. my mate bought one from a bike shop for $3500 and had no probs(wasn't the cleanest example)
but yeah, could go on forever so ill just say cbr250 is the only choice!
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Sun, 27 April 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you really want mani, come up to my place and have a go.... the decision will be easy then!!!
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Mon, 28 April 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for that info Aaron

And as for the offer of the ride....ill let u know when i get the plane tickets mate Very Happy

Ta
Mani
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Ideas for a Road-Bike Mon, 28 April 2003 12:04 Go to previous message
thank you for flying bumpkin airlines! Laughing

nah its about 1 hour drive (40 minute ride Very Happy )
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RIP Possum Bourne
Next Topic:Toyota Nationals 2003 PICTURES
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:38:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057389736175537 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.