Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 08:05 Go to next message
I dont know if this is supposed to happen, but when I turned the car on, the key fell out of the ignition, the car was still running fine, its just that no matter where you have the igniton switched to, the key can be pulled straight out, is this supposed to happen?

Damian
  Send a private message to this user    
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no its not suppose to happen, but mine does it too Smile

so long as your steering doesn't lock or anything, ive never had a problem.
its actually rather funny throwing your keys at a mate while ur driving past hehe.... problem is u have to stall the car to stop it if they won't give the keys back hehe
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old KE30 had the same problem. it was a bit annoying when i parked and had to look around on the floor for the keys before i could turn the ignition off.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just because the key has worn down so much no big deal i actually liked it as i could open the boot or open the front door and not have to turn the engine off but if you want it back to new then take the key to a lock smith and tell them you want a new key cut, often on your key it should have a code, give this code to the locksmith and they can cut you a new key just like the original, "well the code idea works for Subaru and nissan, haven't tested it out on Toyota but should be the same"

otherwise if you have any spare keys for your car try them you might find one of them hasn't worn down so much and wont come out of the ignition barrel so if thats the case then get a copy of trhat key cut. Very Happy
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am just trying to decide if it is a good thing or not Smile
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old rolla did that too. I thought it might have been a worn ignition barrel, but, it was probably the key.

Actually, it didn't just fall out though, I could just pull it out, so it did stay in.

The major advantage was if you had just started the car and you just remembered you forgot something from inside the house, you could leave the car to warm up.

Also good was if you had to quickly run back home for something, you could sit in the car and leave it going while you gave the keys to someone to go back into the house.

At the time I saw no disadvantage.

I actually miss being able to do it now. Now I have to stop the car to do the above. Is a pain in the arse.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, mine does this, it is a good thing (didn't stop me from locking my car once with the keys in the ignition, lucky i had a spare wired under the car that i managed to find after half an hour of dirt falling into my eyes)

only bad thing is if it falls out while you are driving, and then you need to turn it off.

and a good point:

when i go to park my car, i can pull the key out (engine still running) lock the door, unlock the garage door, get back in car drive in etc without someone stealing my car while i'm opening the door.

incidently, i think headlights should turn off when you turn the key off.
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is your car registered? If not it won't be until you get the problem fixed.
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, no its not registered yet, looks like I ma going to have to get a new key cut and hopefully that will fix the problem
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha

i think all old school toyotas have that trouble Smile

when i raced at calder in me T-18 i took the ignition key of the key ring so the weight of the other keys wouldnt pull it out on corners..

key very hard to find after 5 laps of calder hehe
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Tue, 08 April 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the guy doing my pink slip knocked the key out while I was standing there and said hmmmm you know thats not suppose to happen, im like fuck he's gonna make me fix it
he was just like, go get it fixed and passed me hehe Smile

also had a guy tell me about an rx7 I think it was, key fell out, turning corner wheel locked, ran into a tree
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Wed, 09 April 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to get mine fixed to pass rego
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Wed, 09 April 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have this too. It may also be the actual ignition lock being worn as well.

Either way, key or lock being worn, the older it is, the mire likly it will happen.

Craig.
Hack
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Wed, 09 April 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Been there done that...

To get past rego - place key in vice and - CAREFULLY - put a small bend in it, move it down a bit and bend it back straight, so it looks like a chicane...

Push key in hard at rego/track time and she wont come out then.

Just make sure you have a spare incase you snap it off in the vice.

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: RA28 key comes out of ignition when car is on Wed, 09 April 2003 11:08 Go to previous message
first of all the steering should not lock if the key falls out, the steering lock should only engage when the ignition barrel is in the completly off position, you will also find that the key is only required to initially turn the ignition barrell from off to accessories once the ignition barrel is turned to acc, then you could pull the key out and turn the ignition barrel to ignition and start the car without the actual key, you can also turn the car off completly after it is running without the key buy just sticking anything into the key hole and turning it, the only time you will need the key is to turn it on again "past the steering lock stage to accessories" try it yourself you might be surprised
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18RC leaded or unleaded?
Next Topic:New clutch for 7MGTE and R154
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 24 03:33:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053400993347168 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.