Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Mon, 07 April 2003 21:14 Go to next message
does anyone know where i can buy one staight and one right angle 2" rubber for my intercooler pipes? im around the parramatta area ive been to roccos performance but these guys want $10 for an inch and $80 for the right angle rubber?
do u need special intercooler rubbers why cant we use normal radiator rubber hoses for them?

[Updated on: Mon, 07 April 2003 21:39]

Send a private message to this user    
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Mon, 07 April 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try a nissan wrecker, im pretty sure that sylvias use 2" tubing, and i know that there is a few right angle bends under their bonnets, make sure you check the condition of the hoses first. dont use radiator hose, remember that when no boost is being develped that the intake is in a vacuum state, whick will suck in on soft radiator hoses( $10/inch sounds about right for the correct new hose)
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 08 April 2003 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using radiator hose for my intercooler. It is plenty strong. Don't waste your money on so called intercooler pipe. They just call it that so they can charge you more for it.

sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 08 April 2003 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i got two ppl saying two differ thing ican use the normal radiator hoses and i cant im confused anyone else?
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 08 April 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lets clarify the situation then shall we, i assume that gold 28 is using very short pieces of radiator piping (ie b/n two metal pipes that butt up against each other) in this instance the rad pipe is probably OK, but in my opinion if the span is more than a few cm then the correct pipe will/may be required, as for using the rad pipe for a 90 deg bend --bad idea--, it will suck in and while the motor will still run surely it cant be good,like i said before visit your local jap import wrecker the usually have boxes of the factory intercooler pipe lying arround.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 08 April 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's only a vacuum behind the throttle plate, inside the throttle body, so I don't see how there'll be any hoses collapsing. They may expand a bit under high boost, but a few tight cable ties will fix that. Smile
FaT_RollA
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 08 April 2003 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its the gze it will suck in cause of the supercharger compared to the turbo expanding... helped a mate put a big fornt mount on his TA22 4AGZE,there was longer lengths of "intercooler piping" and that would suck in. like JDM said it is good in small parts but apart from that it will suck in/expand depending on what you've got.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pictonhs/rollaboyz/ rear.jpg

http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=get file&id=522&rid=2026&S=b6aac0462ac9f19 2ac4481f2e49b008c
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Wed, 09 April 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
surely in a turbo motor there is a certain amount of time, before boost arrives and with small throttle openings (low RPM), a vacuum will be present in the entire intake????????????
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Wed, 09 April 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been running radiator hose on my TA22 for 3 years and have had no trouble yet and these hoses see 30+ psi every day , I have a 90 degree hose bend straight of the turbo where it gets very hot and have run on the dyno so I can see what the hoses are doing and they do not suck in at all .
But on a GZE where the piping will see full vacume on closed throttle even the silicon hose will suck in if there is more than a few centermeters between pipes .

Trevor

[Updated on: Wed, 09 April 2003 14:32]

whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Wed, 09 April 2003 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, and the gze does really like to suck. I recommend you pop down to your local import wrecker as JDM hachi has suggested and pick up some intercooler rubbers. Places like SSS etc. have heaps lying around and you can get it for free if you're nice Smile
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Thu, 10 April 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what do people recommend for front mounting an I/C for a gze? buy steel pipes and radiator hoses and make your own piping using hoses for bends or go to an exhaust shop and pay them like $800 to make you up some proper pipes?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Thu, 10 April 2003 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cheapest way is to go to an exhaust shop and purchase some pipe and mandrel bends , Join the pipes with radiator hose but make sure the pipes you are jointing with the hose are only about 10mm apart as so it will not suck in .

Trevor
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Fri, 11 April 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will take a pic of my set up this weekend and post it on Monday. I am using ally pipe for the straight sections and radiator hoses for the bends. Never had a problem with it.

And if you are worried about it crushing under suction, trust me, it doesn't. I can't tell you how I know cause it is a little embarrassing Embarassed but the air cleaner will collapse before the pipe will.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Mon, 14 April 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is what mine is, and no it doesn't collapse under vacuum. It is radiator hose bends with ally tube straight sections and hose clamps in between. The hoses are fairly soft, but they are still fine under vacuum. I hope this clears some of the myths about high priced intercooler tube. Worst case you might loose a minute bit of energy expanding the tube as boost is increasing, but I doubt you could even measure this.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic18.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic19.jpg
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Mon, 14 April 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well arent you helpfull Smile
what sorta rad piping is it? like did you just go to auto one and check out all there 2inch pipes and pick what you needed? where did you get the straight pipes from? did you make the brackets for your cooler yourself?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Mon, 14 April 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Radiator hose bends on a blow through forced induction motor is ok as the bends do not see manifold vacume as the throttle body is after the pipe plumbing , But on a draw through forced induction motor with the throttle body before the pipe plumbing the bends will suck in as all the plumbing between the throttle body and motor gets full manifold vacume .

Trevor

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 15 April 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The pipe size was what ever fitted on the manifold, about 2.5in.

Trevor has a good point though, on the 1G's all the plumbing is before the TB, so it wouldn't see much vacuum.

I bought the car with engine and IC installed, so I am not too sure on the details

[Updated on: Tue, 15 April 2003 03:13]

whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 15 April 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, in your case you shouldn't have a problem. I just assumed we were talking about the 4agze as it's in the guy's name.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 15 April 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havn't had a close look at a gze so forgive me for not considering a draw through type configuration. Sorry if I have lead anyone up the garden path, I was assuming that it was a blow through like the 1G-GTE.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: intercooler pipe 2" rubber needed Tue, 15 April 2003 11:24 Go to previous message
isnt the 4agze blow through? doesnt it come from the filter into the charger, then out into the cooler then into the intake runners?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 rear brakes
Next Topic:Variable timing info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:23:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006601095199585 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.