Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
icon5.gif  Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sun, 06 April 2003 07:08 Go to next message
Does anybody know if Jamie Heritage has upgraded the turbo's on his 1uz-fe celica? I am doing this same motor into my commodore (still), and have got rid of my S4 13B turbos to make way for something better. Was looking at 2 VG30-DET (not TT) ball bearing turbo's? Want 350+rwKw. Thanks! Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sun, 06 April 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there much room under a (VH?) bonnet? I'd have thought that a 1UZ under that bonnet would not leave a lot of room for anything else, least of all turbos.

It's pretty tight under my Cressida's bonnet and I actually thought the engine bay in mine was a bit larger than a VB/L Commodore...

Still, good luck with it! A TT 1UZ would be just about the best engine package I could think of, providing it's done properly...
SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sun, 06 April 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bloody hope it fits! Shocked
They are pretty wide (1uz's) cause of the cams, but height shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sun, 06 April 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jamie has upgraded his TT package. Not sure if its common knowledge yet though.
suprav8
Regular

May 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sun, 06 April 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biased99.......1UZ will fit nicely in VH`s engine bay with pretty much the same clearances that you have.
SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sun, 06 April 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I measured it already around 600 square i remember. I have been on and off project for that damn long I forget what I have and haven't done! Would really appreciate any info on Twin turbo setups though, especially using OEM turbos, like Jamie did. I think that his were too small though and he was getting larger ones? Have been on soarer web with his ride on it. Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sun, 06 April 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently working on a 1uz into a HZ holden - I must say there is a rediculous amount of room to spare under the bonnet for a pair of turbos Evil or Very Mad
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Mon, 07 April 2003 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SirVH
I ran a pair of the 3.0l supra ct26 turbo's the car did make 298rwkw with these at 1.0-1.1 bar boost,.....but i think that this is nearly the limit of the ct26 turbo's in standard form,......maybe they would make 350rwkw but be well and truly out of there efficiency range
Someone else maybe able to help but i believe that if u put a to4e 50-55trim? wheel in the ct26 they are capable of prob 210-230rwkw each so total up in the 400+rwkw
SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Tue, 08 April 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy Thanks Heaps Jamie!
Are you planning an upgrade? How is the motor holding up? Also wondering what price you expect to pay for ct26 turbos? ( I assume these are from the 2jz-gte, which would be a little undersized on a 4.0ltr?). Also what clutch are you running? Due to budget constraints I will probably run a toploader gearbox (old dawg, but strong!) and was hoping to make do with a very bighty single plate clutch. Did the setup with std + additional injectors work well? Any other nasties?? eg. cooling, spark power, etc. A lot of questions, but much appreciated! Smile
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Tue, 08 April 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sirVH: 2JZGTE have sequential turbos. CT26's are from the 3.0L 7MGTE (steel wheel, single entry) and 2.0L 3SGTE (twin entry, ceramic wheel)

Upgrading the compressor wheels to either 'V' trim TO4B or 57 trim TO4E is a common path to follow. You would benefit from back-cutting the exhaust wheels for more flow also. May make it a bit laggier, but help the top end.
SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Tue, 08 April 2003 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that. I realised the 2jz had sequential turbos, that is why I questioned if they would be too small. I did not know their part code though. I suspect the ct26 would flow much the same as the vg30t turbo, si it is just a question of which is better, or cheaper to modify? Confused
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Tue, 08 April 2003 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SirVH
The 7mgte is a 3.0l single Turbo motor, which has the CT26 Turbo
The clutch i run is a ceramic single plate 7m setup at 1000kg clamping force so quite high,.....i did have a 740kg setup but it did slip occasionally and this is in a light car and i was only running about 240-250rwkw when it would slip
Actually the standard injectors and the large single injector setup did work well,...you couldn't feel any transition when the large single began squirting,....
I have upgraded my ct26 to a large single Turbo,.not looking for more power just trying to get some weight of the front axles Smile

j

[Updated on: Tue, 08 April 2003 22:40]

SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Wed, 09 April 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. Your large single isn't a TA45 type is it? This should give around 600rwhp! Nod I looked in to this but cost (and lag!) is pretty great! From information I could get the turbo would spool at around 3500-4000 rpm and should be able to get the V8 to spitt out 800rwhp, I reckon 600 would be possible though... It is tempting to do it, but then you run into waste gates $700.00+, turbo $2000.00, not to mention a killer clutch setup! Sad Smoking the tyres at 150kph would be a sight though hey Exclamation Laughing
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Wed, 09 April 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jamie, Where are you mounting the single turbo?

Theres a HKS T51R SPL in the "For Sale" forum. That would be capable of a sh1tload of power. I'm thinking I might have room for it under my left bank (not the steering side). Problem is to get the other bank's exhaust I'd have to go under/around the engine. Might be able to keep similar flow rates if the pipe from the right bank was smaller, and therefore getting to the turbo at around the same speed? (instead of equal length pipe, equal volume, but different length)

I don't think I could afford the turbo & manifold cost though.
SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Wed, 09 April 2003 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Wed, 09 April 2003 10:23

Jamie, Where are you mounting the single turbo?

Might be able to keep similar flow rates if the pipe from the right bank was smaller, and therefore getting to the turbo at around the same speed? (instead of equal length pipe, equal volume, but different length)

I don't think I could afford the turbo & manifold cost though.

You can get away with different lengths if you make the pipes total volumes the same (what I was told by a reputable workshop) Some guys don't even bother about that though Confused I was going to run the manifold closest to the turbo down (like std headers) and then back under to meet the other bank near the front of the sump/crossmember, then a big single pipe up to the turbo, mounted where the battery used to be. Do you know a mate who can weld??? Get some pipe and buy some bends total cost of maybe a few hundred bucks!!! park the car and start hacksawing and grinding, not that hard, then get it all welded. TA45 heaps cheaper than HKS too, I got quoted $2k brand new.. Hope this helps.
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Wed, 09 April 2003 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SirVH
No it's not a TA45,..although i did look at one of these and decided it was way to big for what i needed Shocked If u ever seen one in real life they are huge in comparison to the GT range

The Turbo that i have chose is the Garret GT40 that flows 600-700hp depending on whose site u look at,....I just want around the 450-500hp out of it,.so about the same as what i had Very Happy

Pete
I've mounted the single well behind the engine on the passenger side and low,.pipes pretty much ended up equal lengths from both side and are made out of 316grade stainless with mandrel bends,....so far i have the turbo in place and the car running again but the inlet from the compressor hasn't been connected back to the inlet manifold yet,.......iv'e had a slack attack on the car lately Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Wed, 09 April 2003 22:52]

SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Wed, 09 April 2003 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh they are pretty damn huge hey!? I have seen one and it also weighed probably more than your old setup! Just wondering how you are going to combat oil return with the turbo down low though?? Sounds like the passenger will get nice warm legs during winter too. I have not taken much notice of what the engine bay of a celica is like though... Off the subject, I got rid of the traction control on my Barina SRI the other day, they said it couldn't be done!! Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 09 April 2003 23:36]

1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Wed, 09 April 2003 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ordered a little elec oil pump that came out from Germany,....It turned up late last week,....It's ment ot be able to run constantly at 150deg and spike up to 180 for short durations ,...at this temp i presume oil would prob break down anyway?
I have had a solid state fuel pump doing the job so as i could just drive the car from A-B to work on it,....but prolong driving would prob stuff it eventually and it also suffered when the oil was cold
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Thu, 10 April 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jamie,
A bit off topic, but have you taken that thing of yours down the 1/4? Or done a top-speed run (Somewhere safe and "discrete", I mean).

Just curious as to how a car like that would go...
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Thu, 10 April 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1/4 not officially but with a mate in the car and a stopwatch + accurate marked 1/4 it ran a 11.5 with big traction issues like only 215 on the rear,.so that time could go a second or more either way depending on how good the stop watch guy is

Top speed is gearing/rpm limited + the set of balls driving it
but 3.7 diff gears, 5th w58 .68? + 8000rpm limiter, 17' wheels its up there in the 200+

ohh we have a long airstrip down at wang that sometimes the local carclubs hire out Smile and has heaps of run off as well
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Thu, 10 April 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZ FTE wrote on Thu, 10 April 2003 12:14

Top speed is gearing/rpm limited + the set of balls driving it
but 3.7 diff gears, 5th w58 .68? + 8000rpm limiter, 17' wheels its up there in the 200+

Is that kp/h or mp/h??? Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 10 April 2003 03:38]

SirVH
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Thu, 10 April 2003 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, 4th gear @ around 90k's: Plant foot=massive wheel spin??? Laughing or not...Sad
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Fri, 11 April 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biased99
I was talking 200+km ,.I have never worked it out but i do know that it will peg the speedo needle back to the 0km stopper in a relativley short time and i'm only guessing here but say 12-17secs

Rod Try did have a video of it doing 200kmh in about 10-12secs i forget exactly and that was with the old 4v motor making 200 - 210rwkw,.oohh that was on that AirStrip again
It is a high HP motor for a little car that weights in at 1065kg wet weight and fully fueled on a weigh bridge

SirVH
It is around 110-130km that it will wheel spin as it comes onto the peak torque of the motor,......It dosn't break traction like 200% but about the 105-110% and keeps shooting u up the road at about a 3-5deg angle
I've since got an elec boost controller to try pull a little boost out at these RPM and stuff a bit more in up top
I'm also not sure how the new Turbo will behave yet compared to the old CT26 Twins
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Sat, 12 April 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is absolutely monstrous
are you in sydney? I'd love to have a look at this beastie
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Twin turbo 1uz-fe Mon, 14 April 2003 01:34 Go to previous message
He's in NSW... Barely... It's a bit of a drive to get to him. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE111 20V Carb's or Injection?
Next Topic:ae86 microtech!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 10:05:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061328411102295 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.