Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AG problems, HELP ME!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
4AG problems, HELP ME!! Wed, 09 April 2003 10:06 Go to next message
i've just put the 4ag in the sprintah and so far it aint goin good! when you get to bout 4000 rpm or put the throttle on anything more than about half way it just splutters, misfires and pretty much just shits itself. i've got the timing at about 10 degrees @ 800, is this right? i thought it might be the injectors so i got them ultrasonically cleaned and it helped, but not much. fuel pressure seems ok, don't know how to measure it but i can't stop it when i put my finger over the hose,its got new plugs, the dizzy cap is pretty average but it seems to be firing on all cylinders, could the computer be wired up wrong? i didn't do the wiring so i can't really do much there. does anybody know what could be wrong? has anybody ever had this problem?
i really want to get this thing goin! its been off the road for so damn long!

could it be the fuel pressure regulator?

thanks for any help guys!

Richard
  Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Thu, 10 April 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86 or 100Kw?
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Thu, 10 April 2003 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
100kw,

found fuel lying in the extractors this morning, it has no exhaust.
like the injectors a leaking or something?

please, any help would be great!
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Fri, 11 April 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you got the injectors bath cleaned did they replace all the filters and rubbers??? fuel laying around the place is not a good thing Id pull them out and have a good look as to whats causing the leaks
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Fri, 11 April 2003 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heard rumours that ultrasonic cleaning can damage the coils in the injectors.... but don't take my word for it.
you could get them leak and flow tested, make sure they are ok?

grab a spare set if you can and try them?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Fri, 11 April 2003 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure u have correct ecu for the engine
an 86kw ecu on a 100kw will prob run lean
a 100kw ecu on a 86 kw engine will prob run rich

the ecu matches the wiring loom due to the plugs fittin in the ecu
but what is the engine

[Updated on: Fri, 11 April 2003 13:20]

SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sat, 12 April 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the guy that cleaned them flow tested them and said they were flowing ok, the rubbers and filters were replaced.
sorry, i didn't really explain myself, the fuel isn't leaking out of the seals on the fuel rail etc, it was sitting in the bottom of the extractors, it had gone through the engine and had not been burnt for some reason. when the engine is running, which it just does, it pumps heaps of smoke, not oil smoke but fuel smoke, if you know what i mean, i pulled the plugs out today, which were brand new and 1 and 2 cylinders wwere really wet, but clean, 3 and 4 were all carboned up and were only slightly wet. i don't know what the hell is happening but it is definatly getting worse. any suggestions.

i'm prety sure the computer is right aas well
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sat, 12 April 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well somethin is makin yr ecu pump more fuel than needed
check the airflow is connected and plugged in properly no leaks
or check to see if map sensor hose hasnt fallen off if its a map type
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sat, 12 April 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are using more fuel than you should be, check the oxygen sensor... Short the diagnostic terminal and check the codes...

Mine is stuffed at the moment and I'm wasting 200kms worth of fuel every tank...
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sat, 12 April 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the TPS setup properly?? If its not it can be telling the ECU that there is more air coming in then what there should be therefore running way to rich or not running at all.

Here's some more info on it.
http://pub131.ezboard.com/ffwdtoyotafrm2.showMessa ge?topicID=2852.topic

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sat, 12 April 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O.K best diagnosis without actually staring at the engine itself would be this....

if you are getting raw fuel out the exhaust it can be one of two things....either its going straight through the cylinder without getting ignited (i.e there is no spark for a long period of time) which would indicate you have a major eletrical problem...if youre spark is irregular trace back to things like the ignitor or maybe even the pickups in the dizzy itself. also check the coil impedance.

Or its an over fuelling issue..probhably due to one of the following.....fuel pressure regulator is faulty and jammed closed building up excessive pressure to the injectors. the injectors ( or one of ) is faulty and not switching closed so therefore is dumping fuel all the time.. or and this is a real long shot... you ecu is Fu##ed and for some reason is telling the injectors cycle for a long duration.
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sun, 13 April 2003 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the regulator sounds like it would be the most likely thing seeing as the engine had been sitting around for a little bit before i pt it in, does anyone have a spare one that i can just test with, if it does turn out to be that then i'll get a new one from toyota. anybody?

bought new plugs today and they are just dripping with fuel when i talke them out ofter running it for only like 1 minute.

with the timing, it says to short terminals T and E1 of the diagnosis plug, do i need to do this or what? what should the timing be? bout 10 degrees?

thanks for your help guys,
i just hope its nothing too expensive!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sun, 13 April 2003 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gunna throw something in here.

noticed you've put a 4AGE into an ae86, fine.

BUT - what injectors are you running?
and what computer are you running?

if memory serves - if you have an 86kw motor the injectors will be either pink or grey. a 100kw motor has green injectors. BUT to be sure - get your multimeter and test for impedance on the injectors.

what am i getting at? i know some of the early 4AGE setups had a resistor pack on the injector circuit, just wondering if you're running the wrong injectors for your computer/no resistor pack.

hope this helps in some way.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sun, 13 April 2003 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You cant swap 86 to 100Kw injectors, the connectors on the looms are different, so unless you have modified the factory loom with the 100Kw plugs it wont be the problem
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sun, 13 April 2003 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good point dude. forgot about that

wondering if the resistor pack is there and what its impedance is?
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Mon, 14 April 2003 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the injectors are the correct ones, they are green, but thanks anyway dude.

the loom doesn't have one of those idle mixture variable resistor things, could this be doing something?

i'm gonna test the TPS and regulator tmrw, i'll let you guys know if it is any of them.

thanks
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Mon, 14 April 2003 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that variable resistor from what i gather was for the very very very very early ECU's and 4AGE's that didn't have o2 sensors in the exhaust manifold.....you'd bascially stick the car on the rolling road and stick an o2 sensor up the pipe and run it and tune from there......ie change the position of the pot until the fuel mixtures were right...
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Tue, 15 April 2003 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it actually have an O2 sensor? It seems that quite often 4AGEs get installed rwd with this left out and then start to run shit...
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Tue, 15 April 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unplugged the TPS and it runs much better, still stuttering a bit and still pumping heaps of smoke, so i don't know what the hell is going on there!
do MAP sensors ever screw up? could it be that?

yes, there is an oxygen sensor fitted
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Wed, 16 April 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TPS "rarely" break in my experience but can go out of setting...read your manual and reset it, aslo you could try unpluging the cold start injector? maybe its turning on for some reason???
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sun, 27 April 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump!

ok,
its not the TPS, its not the map sensor.
someone said something bout a short in efi main relay and computer or something if all the plugs are wet, which they are.

does anyone have a 100kw computer in syd that i could possibly burrow for a day to determine whether my computer is buggered.
it would help me greatly!

thanks again guys.

Richard
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AG problems, HELP ME!! Sun, 27 April 2003 05:04 Go to previous message
if the car idles I doubt its your computer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply