Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » JZA70 progressive power steering ecu??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
toypro
Occasional Poster

June 2002
JZA70 progressive power steering ecu?? Thu, 20 June 2002 04:19 Go to next message
Hi-I'm in the US and have done a 1jz to ma70 swap using a jza70 front clip. I've got almost everything working fine, but I seem to have a problem with the progressive power steering. Does anyone happen to know if the PPS ecu is built into the main engine ecu on the JZA70 or is it a seperate unit like the ma70? Thanks-
  Send a private message to this user    
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 progressive power steering ecu?? Thu, 20 June 2002 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if this helps but i thought it was hydrolically controlled through a valve, i've found no other boxes or compuers besides all the abs crap i'm tossing out, and the the greedy speed cut defender (thats what that wire must be for Embarassed Laughing ) i haven't started mine yet though i'll tell you soon what i find when i get back to work on it...

I'm assuming the jza70 is basically the same as my jzx81 besides the obvious Rolling
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 progressive power steering ecu?? Thu, 20 June 2002 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The progressive power steering has a seperate box. It was located on the passenger side kick panel. It is a bit larger than a cigarette packet and had about 8-10 wires connected to it.

From memory they were all blue in colour and all were on the one large plug.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 June 2002 10:51]

Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: JZA70 progressive power steering ecu?? Thu, 20 June 2002 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep i got one. It is blue or black can't remember. It's over at my grandma's place.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: JZA70 progressive power steering ecu?? Thu, 20 June 2002 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most common problem with these (in terms of failure) is the speed sensor signal going to the steering computer.

Check there is speed signal going to the steering computer.

In analog/cable type speedo's I believe the conversion to the pulse to be fed to the computer happens in the dash. Not 100% sure.

On another note, are there any Toyota's with this incorporated?

All the models I can think of that had the feature had a seperate computer?

On a probably useless note, my mr2 had inconsistant steering response, and that was a failing alternator. It's electro-hydraulic power steering but, so that probably doesn't help.
toypro
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: JZA70 progressive power steering ecu?? Fri, 21 June 2002 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks-That is what I am thinking is my problem, with all the wire splicing I did, I think I may have left that one out.I will be double checking that soon. Thanks-Eric

jase wrote on Thu, 20 June 2002 9:33 PM

Most common problem with these (in terms of failure) is the speed sensor signal going to the steering computer.

Check there is speed signal going to the steering computer.

In analog/cable type speedo's I believe the conversion to the pulse to be fed to the computer happens in the dash. Not 100% sure.

On another note, are there any Toyota's with this incorporated?

All the models I can think of that had the feature had a seperate computer?

On a probably useless note, my mr2 had inconsistant steering response, and that was a failing alternator. It's electro-hydraulic power steering but, so that probably doesn't help.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JZA70 progressive power steering ecu?? Fri, 21 June 2002 12:18 Go to previous message
When we converted my early non-progressivve power steering MA70 to a 1jz from a jza-70 front cut we connected the prog power steering as follows:

On MA70 there is a yellow 10 pin plug behind the glovebox which connects to all the instruments etc in the dash. A pink wire on this plug is the speed pulse from the speedo. We plumbed/tapped this wire (no cutting off plugs!) into the connector for the power steering computer from the jza-70. The jza-70 speed pulse wire is also pink, but if you want the relevant jza-70 and ma70 connector diagrams let me know your fax number and I'll try to send it to you (it's hand drawn).
As far as I know the progressive power steering is now working. (We used the jza-70 front crossmember/suspension too).
And it operates the power steering solenoid at 65 km's to change hydraulic pressure to the steering box.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age bellhousing
Next Topic:Buying a frontcut???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 00:27:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050230026245117 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.