Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7MGTE Internals how strong?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
7MGTE Internals how strong? Wed, 09 April 2003 10:29 Go to next message
How much boost can the 7MGTE internals handle? I dont want to know about the turbo or injectors just the internals.
  Send a private message to this user    
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Wed, 09 April 2003 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seb's Supra (Done by Turboworx I think it is, BLKJET is black with blue flames) cracked over 500rwkw on the stock rods then bent them at about 550rwkw I think it was. I'm sure someone closer to them can bring some truth to this. I know of a few US 7M's pushing over 700rwhp (about the same) on the stock rods.
They would have been shotpeened of course.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Wed, 09 April 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they're much like other toyota engines, in that the weak points are firstly the rod bolts, then the pistons. Maybe it'd pay you to at least replace the bolts, then push her up and see what she'll take Very Happy Maybe a basic rebuild with new bolts, rings, bearings, shot peen the rods and check out the crank.

Oh yeah, let's not mention head gaskets, shall we..
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Thu, 10 April 2003 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im pulling the motor down and replacing the pistons with Genuine (cant afford forgies,)new rings, bearings, gaskets etc port/polishing the head and balancing the crank, rods, pistons, flywheel etc. I would like to beable to run 16psi maybe a little more do you guys think it should? What does shot peening the rods do?
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Thu, 10 April 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm getting about 350kw out of mine on completely stock internals. The tuneing is really important so it doesn't detonate due to wild amounts of ignition advance and blow your headgasket.

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Thu, 10 April 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ceramic coat the tops of your pistons. Cheap & simple. Contact your local HPC dealer.
Shotpeening is where the engine shop shoots lots of little lead balls (shot) at the rod. It supposedly makes the outer layer of metal denser and less likely to fracture. However, what it probably doing is rounding off edges or sharp corners....stresses build up at sharp edges and may result in component failure some time down the track. To do 6 rods will set you back $30-60 depending on the relationship you have with your engine shop. Another straight forward thing to do is to use stronger rod bolts eg ARP. These can be ordered from any Falcodore performance shop but expect blank stares when ordering for a Jap car. Will cost about $130-150.
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Fri, 11 April 2003 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SUPRAGTE, What boost you running? have you changed the exhaust wheel on your turbo? What injectors are you running? any info would be great about your setup.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Sat, 12 April 2003 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14psi, that's all i'll ever run through it stock, anymore and ill go an aftermarket head gasket.

The turbo has had a 10 or 15degree(can't remember) clip on the exhaust turbine for more top end flow.

I'm still running the std injectors with a malpassi rising rate reg to get more flow out of the injectors. About 38psi base pressure, 60psi max on 14psi manifold pressure.

Anything else?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? shot peening. Sat, 12 April 2003 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all,
just for info's sake.
shotpeening is where shot (lead, steel, glass etc) is fired at the parts, kinda like sandblasting. what it does is deforms the surface of the material, putting it in compression, so there is an outer layer of compressive stress around the part.

shotpeening only helps by increasing the fatigue life of a component. fatigue cracking occurs by cyclic loading of a component, which causes cracks to initiate and grow. these cracks usually begin at 'stress raisers' or points of stress concentration, such as machining marks or casting imperfections.

the compressive stress induced by shotpeening makes it harder for a crack to initiate, in two ways, 1, by reducing the number and size of surface imperfections, and 2, by keeping small cracks closed for longer, so it takes more cycles for them to reach the critical crack length required for part failure.

it won't help with bending rods, but will help prolong the fatigue life of the rod.

anyhoo, hope this may help someone Smile
Cya, Stewart
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? shot peening. Sat, 12 April 2003 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the much fancier explanation. Spot the metallurgist amonst us! Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? shot peening. Sat, 12 April 2003 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
9 and a half years at uni and i still haven't escaped Rolling Eyes
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? shot peening. Sat, 12 April 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha....I spent 8 there, then stupidly went back for more!
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: 7MGTE Internals how strong? Mon, 14 April 2003 11:42 Go to previous message
hey Paul, how peaky/laggy is it with the boost wound up like that? I only took mine up a little and it comes on lot stronger, i can't imagine what it would be like at over double the boost!!

Have you still got the standard computer?

Got any pictures of the new weapon? or has everyone seen them and I'm just out of touch? Smile

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT !!! - Need info & part no.s for 4AGZE conversion
Next Topic:safe boost level for 3sgte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 07:10:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050029754638672 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.