Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Sun, 23 February 2003 11:39 Go to next message
like the topic says is it possable to put speakers into the kick panels of a ra23? is there space behind the panel or just metal. perhaps i should look at the green beast lol. has anyone put speakers there?

thanks

Daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Sun, 23 February 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked seriously at doing this to mine but i was going to have to build the panels out too much and people would have just kicked and destroyed my speakers.
I decided to put them in the doors. I didnt want to put any holes in the doors so i built up some light weight pods with some dowl, chip board, bit of sloppy joe material thanks to mum and some polyester resin worked a treat.
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Mon, 24 February 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason, id love to see some pics mate!

im thinkin maybe doing this instaed of choppin up the doors
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Mon, 24 February 2003 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only thing I can offer is pix of the as-yet-unfinished setup in the MA47 (Project Bloo Dragon)
http://toyotatuner.net/mar03-e1-3/pix/floorspeakertop2.jpg
This was because a door pod would interfere with driving, and cutting into the solid-sheet doors would just suck. Kick pods would be annoying as well, so these were built as a comprimise and test. Funny how something so simple can seem so different - got tons of comments so far.
The imaging is awesome (also helps there are tweets in factory dash-top positions) but these pound from this location, with minimal muting from body parts!
The speakers are Alpine SPS 6.5 split-2's, wired from Orion Cobalt 230 amp.
Muting from legs and imaging were the biggest reason to avoid kick pod locations on this car. Though for 'cool factor' we might be building them this season anyway.
Link to bigger pic
http://toyotatuner.net/mar03-e1-3/pix/floorspeaker top.jpg
replace floorspeakertop with floorspeakerside to see the last photo my lil digi-cam managed to take. Time to invest in a good cam I guess... hehe Freak
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Mon, 24 February 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car has commondoor door pods fitted. A pretty neat looking option and you get map pockets to go with it. I would look at getting some from a 2 door car though to get the extra length.
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey there gold28, do you think we can get a look at a pic or 2 of the door trims. I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how it would work out.

thanks
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finish work at 4, so I will take a photo then for you and post it. Razz
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finish work at 4, so I will take a photo then for you and post it. Razz
By the way Blaze your forum pic looks painful. What happened there?
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought it only 5 weeks ago. the morning I was meant to get the car the guy who owned it was in the drive through at Mc Donalds and some silly bitch in a pajero reversed into it. It was all fixed on her insurance, the pain was it was at the repair shop for over a week. Those pic's would be nice thanks.

munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replies guys i looked at the kick pannels today and they are a no go there will be no space in there i think the best option would be to build pods out from the door because i dont really want to butcher my pannels

gold28 some pics of the commodore pods would be great.

thanks

Daniel
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is what my door looks like. It has a slight raise of maybe a round disk of 12mm ply under the speaker. this is all hid behind the fabric. not sure if you can see that in the pic's. I want to update this look.http://users.tpg.com.au/desblaze/Picture%20001.jpg
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks nice and neat blaze but you would have had to cut up the doors correct?

Daniel
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry about not getting the pics up. I took the photo's after work and Optus is down, so I can't upload the photo's. They tell me it should be up by 10am, so I will send them then. Very Happy
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Tue, 25 February 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the pics of my interior.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic8.JPG
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic9.JPG

They don't look too bad when you are sitting in the car. They look a bit odd with the door open.

The speakers and grills were mounted on the outside of the comondoor grills rather than cut a hole in the door. You could get away without having to do this if you were prepared to either cut a hole in the door or use speakers with a lower profile.
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What model commodore are the pods out of? How much did they set you back? I like the idea of map pockets Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they are out of a VN-VR Commodore. They were in the car when I bought it. I would think you could get them pretty cheap from a wrecking yard. As I said earlier, look around for some off a 2 door car and stick them up against your door. The Commodore ones are pretty cheep looking and don't fit all that well, but they are quite deep which is good for speaker placement.
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, will have to go have a squiz, I am assuming that they are mounted to the door trims and not the door frame.

Damian
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope the speakers are mounted to the pods but the pods are screwed through the trim to the door.

If masonite in your existing door trims is starting to degrade, they won't really put up witha speaker swing off them. It is better sound quality wise if it is a sold mount for the speaker too.

Cutting big holes in door for speakers - BAD

Drilling small holes in doors for screws - OK

Speaking of which I remember hearing about a guy that thought his speakers were so powerful that they blew the back winscreen from his car. Little did he know that the rear parcel shelf in a car is very much a structural member and when you cut big holes in it for a subwoofer or two, you loose all that strength. Anyhow his chassis had lost a lot of it's stiffness and simply twisted when the screen didn't. Laughing
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha, thats a good one. I've got an RA28 and wasnt sure what to do about front speakers, so I might have to go and invest in some pods when I get the car back. What setup have you got for rear speakers?
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just noticed, whats the deal with the centre console in your beast?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,
I just found some pictures of my doors if i could get some one to host them for me so you can all have a look. They still need some work though.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is two 15in subs in the hatch. They will be changed sometime in the future - I would like some boot space.

The console is an aftermarket one. Doesn't look too bad, but is a little bulky for my liking
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the pics gold28. that is actually a very good idea. Those comodore pods have potental, some fibreglass and some sturctural changes finished off with vynal covering and they would look excelent!

jason: email me the pics at dfeldman@optusnet.com.auand ill host them for you.

thanks

Daniel
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whe we build the new door skins for Bloo Dragon, one of the thoughts was to design a 'pod' for on top of the door, lower front corner, which held the speaker facing up and back. (imaging)
This, however didn't seem to work in well with the overall 'smooth' re-design of the interior.
So now one of the thoughts (since we made fresh fiber panels for the doors) is to build a 'glass pod *under* the door skin - then bolt the pod to the door, and form the skin over it... nice smooth finish.
This might interfere with the window crank on most cars, but Bloo Dragon is power-everything, so that's an advantage! hehe

Because these cars come with straight lines and smooth curves - it's been difficult to design something that would look anything but.... odd.
Razz
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Wed, 26 February 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that doen't looks to bad at all gold28. I had a look at mine yesterday, and the guy who had the car before me did cut the door to fit the speaker. heres some photo's. One more thing those pods came out of a vr or vs. the vn only had speakers in the rear. I think that might be worth a shot. I will keep you informed.

One more question. I want to put some sort of wood graining on the doors. how do you think I should go about this??

http://users.tpg.com.au/desblaze/door1.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/desblaze/door2.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 26 February 2003 23:21]

eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Thu, 27 February 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dude im loving the commo pods, tell us when u find out what model, im gona go buy some and i havent even got my celica yet... also the centre console, aftermarket from where? is it also a commo one? if so wat model, price, mods made etc...

cheers mate
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Thu, 27 February 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here are the pictures of Jason's pods

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dfeldman/jason-pod 1
http://http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dfeldman/ja son-pod2

Daniel

[Updated on: Thu, 27 February 2003 07:50]

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Thu, 27 February 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Daniel.
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Thu, 27 February 2003 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GOld, if you find a set of pods off a 2 door that fit better, but still allow for a decent speaker size let me know. BTW what size speakers are in the commodore pods? 6"

Damian
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Fri, 28 February 2003 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blaze - With the woodgrain, it all depends on the look you want. If it was me I would look into putting either wood or plastic laminates directly onto the door panel backing and bringing the material (vinyl velour etc) trimming to it.

eastie - The console was in the car when I bought it. I remember seeing ads in a few magazines for them. It is an australian company and by memory, they were charging $200 - $300 for them.

Jason - The trimming looks really nice mate. Are they tweeters you've flush mounted in the doors?

Damian - I havn't really looked into it, But I think most of the newer cars have fully moulded door skins which is no good for us. I would start looking into things like late 80's early 90's hatch backs, like say a Suzuki Swift or even Preludes. Measure up your doors and start rummaging through your local wrecking yard. I think the commodores have 6in. speakers in them.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Fri, 28 February 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28- Yea tweeters flush mounted they do fit withou cutting holes and those ones face back at an angle to the driver. They are not really good pictures because i only have the work camera and it is really low resolution. The light grey is the same velour out of the older falcons etc. the darker is a charcol and the woodgrain on the dash has been removed and replaced with real carbon fibre that i layed up at tech one day (took hours to cut it to the same shape).
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Sat, 01 March 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yah hey Jason!

niiiiice job on the pods dood!
I read thru, but I didn't see if those were used parts with fabric over them, or if they were full custom?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Sat, 01 March 2003 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yo Freak
Those are custom pods that consist of a piece of marine ply on the inside about 3mm i think with four pieces of 15-18mm dowl to give the height the speakers which are 5 1/4 blauponkt (wrong spelling) these sit on a piece of 18mm MDF.
The shape was optained by streaching a piece of stretchy sloppy joe material over the frame and stapeling the material to the back of the marine ply.
Polyester resin was then applied to the material to stiffin it up a little and covered with the velour.
If you want some more info just ask because they worked out quite well.
The only problem is that they stick out a little far but its not as bad as if they were in the kick panels
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: putting speakers in a ra23 kick panels possable? Mon, 03 March 2003 21:04 Go to previous message
cool man!

That's what I thought you might have done as 'custom' - fairly standard for custom pods.
the angles are the kicker! dowels rock.

thanks for the info! Freak
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz auto comp question.
Next Topic:Replacement Oxygen sensors,
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 03:36:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070860385894775 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.