Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AC -> 4AGE/GZE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

4AC -> 4AGE/GZE? Thu, 13 June 2002 23:56 Go to next message
Hey all,

A mate of mine has a AE92? Seca and has the good old 4AC in it. It bloody thing has done nearly 400,000km's!! and has finally blown a headgasket.

He has been quoted by NRMA or someone 3grand to fix it the damn thing. I told him to tell them where to go ! Razz

Ok, I'm thinking about throwing in a 4AGE or possibly a 4AGZE. Now as far as I'am aware, being a carby engine, to set it up for EFI it would need different fuel lines or a return fuel line? Is 3 Grand going to be enough to do a GE conversion or a GZE?

He was quoted $950 for a GZE plus labour costs from his mechanic. Sounds dodgy to me though. Any help, rough prices and advise is appreciated.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 4AC -> 4AGE/GZE? Fri, 14 June 2002 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Fri, 14 June 2002 9:56 AM

Hey all,

A mate of mine has a AE92? Seca and has the good old 4AC in it. It bloody thing has done nearly 400,000km's!! and has finally blown a headgasket.

He has been quoted by NRMA or someone 3grand to fix it the damn thing. I told him to tell them where to go ! Razz

Ok, I'm thinking about throwing in a 4AGE or possibly a 4AGZE. Now as far as I'am aware, being a carby engine, to set it up for EFI it would need different fuel lines or a return fuel line? Is 3 Grand going to be enough to do a GE conversion or a GZE?

He was quoted $950 for a GZE plus labour costs from his mechanic. Sounds dodgy to me though. Any help, rough prices and advise is appreciated.

Thanks.

Daniel,
3grand would be enough for the gze i reckon and would be a better option Rolling

my 4ac to 4age conversion total was.. just under 2k
engine/looms/gearbox/ecu/struts/front+rear suspension and shocks(originals)/fuel lines+pump+filter/ram pod

install was a home ghetto job on the side of the house =p
would have taken 2 weekends if we had everything upfront..
had to keep running back and forth looking for parts

probably best to go front cut.. becuase when your looking for the chassis looom.. places will either ripp you off big.. or make you want longggg
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AC -> 4AGE/GZE? Fri, 14 June 2002 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How hard was the 4AC -> 4AGE? Is it possible to do it in one weekend?

I've never done a engine converision before, (test dummy on my mates before i finish the 7AGE Razz) but is it very hard to do in one weekend?

Whats the story with the fuel lines?
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 4AC -> 4AGE/GZE? Fri, 14 June 2002 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Fri, 14 June 2002 5:08 PM

How hard was the 4AC -> 4AGE? Is it possible to do it in one weekend?

I've never done a engine converision before, (test dummy on my mates before i finish the 7AGE Razz) but is it very hard to do in one weekend?

Whats the story with the fuel lines?

yeah i guess.. are you keeping the c? or wanna get rid of it for sure =p

depends on how you do it i guess.. you could probably have it all running in 1 weekend if you have everything.. but i reckon it would still be bare bones.. well interior wise anyway.. that thing is a bitch to put back =p

the fuel lines stay the same.. just the pump will be changed
if you check under the back seat of the car.. there should be a plug there for the efi..

shouldnt be to hard just rip the c out =p

oh yeah check out strutto's page on the conversion..
the pics will give you an idea

http://home.iprimus.com.au/struttona/index.htm

as his site says.. he did it ghetto style.. hahaha he pretty much did! but i didnt rip out everything.. no body panels taken off =p
Darola
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AC -> 4AGE/GZE? Fri, 14 June 2002 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi there, nothing is impossible, i have put the 4agze into my ae82 sedan, fuel wise, i used a efi ae82 tank and main feed line (due its bigger then carby one), ive spent abit over $4000 ($3000 on halfcut) i used the wiring from the halfcut and adpted the rear loom to the front loom, took me 6weeks to do, thats cause i also added rear disc conversion, modified bonnet, added the 101 dash (that toke the time)

if u want the head fixed, i can do it for $800-$1000
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AC -> 4AGE/GZE? Fri, 14 June 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If u havn't done an engine change before and no one is helping that has done one ummmm well all I can say is good luck doing it in one weekend.
Id plan for longer, at least 2 weekends then add another for things that go wrong.
Mine into the sprinter took me like 3 weeks, id done a 4ac to 4ac in it before too.This was taken straight out of another sprinter, due to the fact we blew the computer and it took us 2 weeks to work that out Smile

But allow long than expected things always go wrong or u can't find a part u need etc. espestially as u havn't done one before
strutto
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AC -> 4AGE/GZE? Fri, 14 June 2002 16:11 Go to previous message
Did I just get deemed an expert? hehehe

Couple of things to watch out for...

-Generous amounts of tools are in order.
-Workshop manuals can be useful.
-You'll need to get the exhaust joined.
-Upgraded fuel lines are not necessary for 4AGE. EFI Fuel pump is mandatory but an external pump (as opposed to swapping to an in tank EFI setup) will work. Tank swap is better IMHO but harder to find and harder to install.
-Upgraded fuel lines with 4AGZE? Not sure. Possibly.
-Body panels do not have to be removed but it makes it easier.
-Mechanical work is simple but helps if you have done conversions before. You'll need an engine crane or block and tackle.
-Wiring is harder and more time consuming but not impossible. You'll need some brains. Grin
-Helps alot if you live close to Repco, Supercheap, a wreckers, a hardware and a nuts and bolts store.
-$3000 for head gasket is No No No
-$950 for 4AGE swap is waaaay too cheap...
-Budget at least $600 for extras over the cost of the engine / looms / gearbox / ECU.
-Time taken depends on how much sleep you like. I took my time with mine and did it all myself (ie: 1 person) but minimum time would be 3-4 full days at a guess.

Ummm, think that's about it. If ya have any questions post, PM or email. Mine was a 4AGE into AE82 though, not AE92. Although the principles are the same.

Check my site out. Tech conversion notes are forthcoming...

Strutto

P.S. Sorry for the long post.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:where can i get cam gears for 4age, and also cams in syd...
Next Topic:AFM 4AG idle problem (long)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 23 20:12:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.062932968139648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.