Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Bellhousing alloy?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hemiyoda
Newcomer

July 2002
Bellhousing alloy? Mon, 24 March 2003 12:25 Go to next message
G'day everybody,

Anyone here know the name of the alloy used in toyota bellhousings?

I don't have/can't find the correct T-engine -> W-gearbox bellhousing, so I'll have to make my own. Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Bellhousing alloy? Wed, 26 March 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya,
as it is a casting alloy it usually has high silicon etc to improve the casting fluidity (to get into the thin spots without freezing)
i offer my services to analyse a chunk of bellhousing material if you can send me a piece that is at least 5mm in size. i have access to electron microscopes at uni and regularly analyse material to within 0.5-1% accuracy. find me a piece of bell housing!!! Wink

other than that,
the aluminiuum alloy A356 has 6.93%Si, .336Mg, 0.026Cu, 0.005Zn, 0.113Fe, .100Ti, 0.013Pb, 0.042Sn, 0.006Ni and 0.005Cr.

basically the major component (apart from aluminium) is the silicon with nearly 7%. the other components come from either the grain refining additions (just prior to casting) or for aging purposes (this alloy usually has the T6 aging treatment applied)

T to W?? isn't that the 3TGTE bellhousing?? i took one of those over to the US last year to exchange for a 4KE injection setup. surely they are still around somewhere???

hope this all helps....
Cya, Stewart
hemiyoda
Newcomer

July 2002
Re: Bellhousing alloy? Wed, 26 March 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info Stewart!

I've asked this same question on 3 other forums and the general consensus seems to be "356" hehe.. I'll settle for that. Smile

Material analysis, cool stuff!

Yep the 3T-GTE (1G-GTE also?) bellhousing.. Very rare stuff here atleast. (Sweden)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Bellhousing alloy? Wed, 26 March 2003 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh right, you're in Sweden!
Smile

356 was just the first one i came across looking on google. i can ask at uni for some other alternatives if that would help you. i'm actually a metallurgist doing my PhD and i do a lot of work with electron microscopes analysing structure and composition.
i would cut a bit of my bellhousing and analyse it, but with those levels (almost impurity levels) it would not yield useful results for you.

i'm sure someone in my 'School of Materials Science and Engineering' would have to know what alloys are commonly used.

another thing you would have to be careful about is the 'master alloy' they use to 'seed' the molten metal to decrease the grain size... or you could just make the casting thicker and hope it all works Wink put some huge ribbing in it...

Cya, Stewart

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Bellhousing alloy? Thu, 27 March 2003 19:07 Go to previous message
Billet Bellhousing? Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:crank angle sensor on 20v??
Next Topic:$@@@@ -=increasing boost=- @@@@#
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Sep 30 17:16:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041210651397705 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.